D&D 5E What previous-edition D&D settings, races, classes, items, weapons and so on do you think we'll never see in 5E?

So as the title says, what are the previous-edition (including OD&D, RC D&D, etc.) settings, classes, races, items, and so on that you think we definitely won't see in 5E, and if you like, why? Non-serious answers are entirely acceptable, but I am interested to hear the serious ones too!

Personally:

Settings:

Dragonlance
- It's too generic, I think.

Taladas - It's too specific, ironically given it's also on Krynn. Just not many people down for it's weird mix of sort of 800AD Eurasia, wonderful fantasy lands like the Sea of Glass, and sort of Pacific Islands stuff.

Dark Sun - I think it doesn't fit the unspoken 5E requirement that essentially all 5E material is potentially usable there, especially core stuff. DS rejects and replaces core races/subraces as a key element of setting identity, and classes to some extent too, as well as having Defiling/Preserving. On top of all this you need Psionics, and 5E's designers seem to be finding Psionics extremely challenging (bizarrely, given WotC did fine in 3E and 4E with them).

Planescape - We might well see Sigil as a chapter in a Manual of the Planes, but I think that'll be it.

Classes:

Warlord
- Battlemaster took some of it's stuff, and whilst I think plenty of people would happily play it, there are enough people who loudly hate it that it doesn't have a Paladin's chance in hell.

Psion/Psionicist - Six years and the closest thing to a working class for this was the Mystic. I don't think we'll see this make it within 5E.

Warden - Too wacky, too 4E. Only way it gets in is as a weird Druid subclass (which will probably be mechanically inferior to a Moon Druid anyway).

Invoker - Yeah you forgot about that one didn't you?! With good reason!

Races:

Bariaur
- RIP extremely-sexually-dimorphic goat people. You were too beautiful for this world. Or possibly too hairy.

Daeva - I'm kind of still surprised they didn't just convert Aasimar into these and go with it, but, they didn't, and this wacky, awesome race is probably gone forever or until I bother to put one together on D&D Beyond.

Items/Weapons:

Fullblade
- No-one misses you buddy. Well except one of my players, but it's very hard to come up with anything that's mechanically superior to a Greatsword but not actually OP so you can stay away.

Spiked Chain - Please tell me this didn't sneak back in somewhere!

gyor

Legend
You might get Devas reborn as a subrace of Aasimar.

Barbiars are one of the few major Planescape races unpublished in 5e, so I can see them published, but less gender differences, stat wise.

Wardens as a class won't come back, but live on in the Oath of the Ancients Paladin capstone and a spell for the Ranger in XGTE.

Warlord was in the Survey so hope isn't dead.

Light Cleric ate the Invoker, but you could see Invoker Spells as Cleric Spells.

They need the Psion for Darksun.

For ones I don't see coming back:

Classes: Factum, Dragon Shaman, Seeker, Runepriest.

Races: Shardminds, Gloamlings (sadly), any Incarnum races, Gnolls as PCs.

Settings: Council of Wyrms and Jarkdor.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
What I do not see coming to 5e:

Hollow World setting (who liked it anyway?) /ducks

Council of Wyrms/Playing as a Dragon in any way whatsoever

Any of the weirder 3e classes, the more obscure ones especially

Shamans

The Warlord

The Ur-Priest

Anything related to Mystara

Dragonlance

Kender

Good class design 🙃

/ducks

Dark Sun - I think it doesn't fit the unspoken 5E requirement that essentially all 5E material is potentially usable there, especially core stuff. DS rejects and replaces core races/subraces as a key element of setting identity, and classes to some extent too, as well as having Defiling/Preserving. On top of all this you need Psionics, and 5E's designers seem to be finding Psionics extremely challenging (bizarrely, given WotC did fine in 3E and 4E with them).

I see where you're coming from, but at the same time, as the setting requiring its own distinctive mechanical support it is the setting which most naturally would call for a book like the recent Eberron one, and they are a company that enjoys making money, so the probability of Athas getting a book are probably going to track how profitable Eberron is.

As for what I would be most surprised to see revived: Pixies and Ogres as player races.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
If it’s not in by now, I don’t expect it. Anything that actually gets added will just be a pleasant surprise.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Worlds: I honestly think we will get some support for all the top ten worlds, according to wotc survey.

Races: Shardminds, Wilden (sadly. they should come back), but honestly tortles and selkath were brought back, so, who knows.

Classes: I do think Warden's will effectly come back and either a druid or barbarian, and warlord is still up in the air, IMO. What we won't see are Binders, Factotum, Incarnum, Duskblade, Swordmage (sad face), or really any other whole classes. We will see things like those classes in various subclasses, but most of them won't be super satisfying.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases