D&D 5E What proportion of the population are adventurers?

So I will give my first law of demographic for DnD,
for any size of a location, there is always at least one group or individual rival, and one possible ally or in need for help.
True or there wouldn't be any adventure to be had. That's story related as opposed to demographics / world building. The smallest village could end up hosting an adventure. That sounds... wrong, like they were throwing a dinner party :D

True or there wouldn't be any adventure to be had. That's story related as opposed to demographics / world building. The smallest village could end up hosting an adventure. That sounds... wrong, like they were throwing a dinner party :D
Demographic is in service of the story, not opposed, otherwise if you choose the opposite you can have this party of adventurers stuck three sessions in a row at the inn, because there was absolutely nothing interesting happening 100 miles around.

Mercurius

Legend
Here's a somewhat unconventional route to address the question: consider adventuring parties as vaguely synonymous with real-life gangs.

According to Wikipedia, as of 2011 there were more than 33,000 gangs active in the US, with 1.4 million members. There were roughly 310 million people in the US that year, so that means that about 1 in 220 people are gang members, and about 1 gang per <10,000 people.

Last edited:

Demographic is in service of the story, not opposed, otherwise if you choose the opposite you can have this party of adventurers stuck three sessions in a row at the inn, because there was absolutely nothing interesting happening 100 miles around.
My game is a sandbox. I have a starting location with numerous adventure possibilities and the demographics to match. It draws would be adventurers from across the world. Now, if they wander off to a quiet village with nothing going on... not my fault :D

Ace

Adventurer
If we consider that bail bondsman is a similar real-life occupation, Google tells us that there are about 15,500 of them in the US, for a population of less than 330 million. That would mean not a lot of adventurers running around, which is fine for my own standards.
Not bad.
Your numbers would be 1 in 2000 or so which means Waterdeep has maybe 50 . I think that might be a bit low for worlds with magic, monsters and limited government

If you add other adventurous professions, flanuers, archeologists, climbers and the like its probably 30K, maybe 100 in Waterdeep

Given that D&D worlds are more adventurous than our own entirely settled world I'd probably go with 1% or so with some levels in something. This does mean a lot of low level hedge witches, "veterans aka L1 or 2 fighters" and such.

Autarch who makes the B/X variation "Adventurer Conqueror King." has very complete rules for for how many people are adventurers called th Demographic of Heroism

Its outstanding and ties very nicely to its extremely authentic economy allowing D&D and realism.

The bad side is that its only good to L14 where the game stops.

I made some search on google,
9,087,000 military personnel served on active duty during the Vietnam Era (Aug 5, 1964 – May 7, 1975). 2 8,744,000 GIs were on active duty during the war (Aug 5, 1964 – March 28, 1973). 3. 2,709,918 Americans served in Vietnam , this number represents 9.7% of their generation.

US population at these time was 210M.
So we can imagine a society where 1/20 people served duty in war. Is this sufficient to make them adventurers? Not sure, but it makes them a good edge over the commoner template.

rmcoen

Adventurer
My world assumes that most of the population are "2nd" level, with a noticeable quantity being 3rd towards the end of their careers. Elites are young 3rds, and can reach 4th. Anyone 5th is legendary/celebrity: the Mage of the Ruby Tower, the Hand (master assassin), the Mad Alchemist of Jendar, Captain Alcadarran of the Royal Guard, etc.

Within that assumption, however, are the twin guidelines: a) most of these people aren't "2nd level PC" - they are Experts (from previous editions) or Warriors; perhaps 5e "Sidekicks". and b) time, training, and experience can earn a person Feats and "class-like abilities" WITHOUT increasing their level.

For example, most "guards" have a fighting style (such as Defensive) or Feat (such as Shield Master or Crusher); most soldiers have two (often one being Phalanx Fighting: "Ignore the cover modifier of the ally between you and your target, if in melee.") Most civilians have a "Skill Feat", granting them +1 to their profession (i.e. a Proficiency Bonus, without 3-5 levels of other abilities and HP to go with it); experts have this Skill Feat more than once, and sometimes an ASI.

So the High Priest of Prothus, with a "flock" of thousands, and three decades of dedicated religious service... he's a "level 4" NPC, with three "NPC Feats" from experience and skill, and can lead his huge congregation in "Rituals" that accomplish 3rd level clerical spell effects. And maybe has finally accumulated enough faith and connection himself to pull off the occasional cantrip - maybe a 1st level spell in dire need. But he can Turn Undead like a Cleric 3, on his own Holy Ground.

TL;DR = NPCs don't use PC rules.
(But the PC rules can provide handy guidelines...)

What I really don't like, though, is when "Guard" statblocks have 3 HD... but a Bandit captain has freaking 10 HD?? then I swoop in with my GM power and explain the bandit captain is actually a bodysnatcher super-kruthik possessed bandit - the rest of the bandits are level 2 shmucks, just being gathered and "fed" to the nest below the camp...

NotAYakk

Legend
What I really don't like, though, is when "Guard" statblocks have 3 HD... but a Bandit captain has freaking 10 HD?? then I swoop in with my GM power and explain the bandit captain is actually a bodysnatcher super-kruthik possessed bandit - the rest of the bandits are level 2 shmucks, just being gathered and "fed" to the nest below the camp...
So the 5e Bandit Captain is roughly as dangerous as a level 5 PC fighter.

HP are inflated on monsters because it is easier than adding self healing abilities.

Look at a level 5 Fighter, first without a subclass. We'll make them a TWF as well.

Dex will be 18, two weapon fighting style, pair of scimitars for 3d6+12 (23) damage, plus an action surge for +15 per encounter damage, all at +7 to hit. They have studded leather, so 16 AC.

10+6*4 + 2*5 = 44 HP, but also has a second wind for 1d10+5(11), so 55 HP of soak.

The fighter also has a subclass. If we use a middle of the road one like Samurai, this fighter has +15 temporary HP/day, for a total of 70 HP of soak in a single fight (advantage on attacks and losing an off hand attack are a wash)

This is a far from optimal 5th level fighter.

In comparison, the Bandit Captain deals 2d6+1d4+9 (18.5) DPR at +5 to hit and has 15 AC and has 65 HP.

It is basically inferior in almost every way, but is in the right ballpark at least.

The same holds of most CR 2-3 fighter-type humanoid monsters in 5e; they are all in the ballpark of a level 5 PC, some optimized some under optimized.

The fact that they often end up with inflated number of HD can be treated as a simplicity of emulation. Drop their HP by 30ish. Add in a second wind ability (reaction) that heals them for 15, grants them 15 temporary HP, triggered by being reduced to half HP or less.

Now that Bandit Captain has 5d8+10 (32 HP) and a 30 HP heal, for a total of ... 62 HP.

Of course, this is sort of pointless, because a player is unlikely to see the difference. On a PC, such an ability would be a mechanical knob they'd have to tweak. It would refresh every long rest. Maybe you'd add in an extra feature, like it grants advantage on attacks for a turn.

On a monster, the DM has enough stuff to do. So they give you some stats that emulate a level 4.5 PC fighter reasonably well with as many mechanical knobs filed off.

Something similar happens with berserkers. They have rage damage resistance baked into their HP! It is a lot easier to double their HP than to give them resist all.

Now, this does mean they aren't specifically vulnerable to psychic damage, unlike a bearbarian. They must have a different totem. (berzerkers are a weak CR 2, closer to a level 3 PC than a level 4 or 5 one).

Remove ads