D&D General What published module have you run or played the most?

Reynard

Legend
Obviously, if you don't/haven't run published modules in D&D, this is not the thread for you.

If you do, though, do you have favorites, and more specifically do you have one that you have run or played more than any others?

For the most part, I have only really recently started using modules as opposed to home brew adventures. That said, I have probably run The Sunless Citadel a dozen times in the 20 years (wow) since its release. It is my go-to introductory module, essentially my Keep on the Borderlands (despite the fact that I started playing D&D way back in 1985). It has all the things that make a great low level dungeon, including factions to deal with, horrible monsters, a potential TPK or two and fortune and glory to be won. Since it made it's official appearance for 5E in Tales of the Yawning Portal I have run it another half dozen times for folks trying to get into D&D. I much prefer it to Lost Mines as a singular adventure, though I think LMoP is a better introductory campaign.

EDIT: Just for clarity, I meant a TOTAL of maybe a dozen times, playing and running, 3E and 5E.

Last edited:

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
U1 - Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh (at least 5 times)
U2 - Danger at Dunwater (three times)
X2 - Castle Amber (three times)
N1 - Against the Cult of the Reptile God (played through it once, ran it twice - second time right now).
C3 - The Lost Island of Castanimir (twice)

While not a published module, I ran the introductory adventure for my "The Oath" campaign several times at cons.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I've run Vault of the Dracolich five times, including once on ENWorld in PBP. Generally, I don't run the same game twice - I keep running whatever the latest thing is. For example, I have run, at least some of, every adventure that they have published for 5e that takes place in the Forgotten Realms. Before that, I ran all of the D&DNext playtest adventures. I ran all the 4e ones too, as well as all the Adventurer's League stuff for both 4e and 5e before they moved it to DM's Guild (I haven't run any of them since then).

Before THAT, I didn't run ANY published Adventures. For the duration of 2e and 3e, I only ran stuff I made up myself. Oh that's not entirely true - I once ran the Forge of Fury. Before 2e, I was only a player.

Voadam

Legend
For me Death in Freeport from the Trilogy is the only one I have run multiple times for more than one shots.

I ran White Plume Mountain in 1e as part of a long campaign and then twice in 5e as one shots.

I ran Temple of Elemental Evil in 1e and played in a 3.5 game using it.

Similarly I played in 3.5 Expedition to Castle Ravenloft game and a 5e Curse of Strahd game which are basically redo variations of the same I6 module.

I also ran Basic's B1 In Search of the Unknown in 1e and a similar third party knock off Basic redo but using 3.5. I also played in a 5e Keep on the Borderlands game that had B1 in it as well.

I have way more than enough modules to never have to run through things twice. Way more that I would be interested in running than I expect to ever get to run.

Last edited:

aco175

Legend
Back in 2e it was Under Illefarn and now it has been Lost Mines of Phandelvar. Although, the 2nd and 3rd times I ran them it was more reference and changing a lot of the encounters. This is mostly since I have played with the same people most of the time and the modules become more and more for reference.

1617898467818.png
1617898542281.png

the Jester

Legend
My guess is one of these:

Temple of Elemental Evil- at least 3 times and probably 4 or 5 counting the early days.
Expedition to the Barrier Peaks- at least 3 times.
Keep on the Shadowfell- 3 times.
Keep on the Borderlands- not certain how many runs; several in the early days, plus at least one later. 3+ for sure.

run in as a player? Easy, B2, 3 times IIRC
as a DM... well... I was also a writer for Dungeon, and I playtested some of what I wrote several times, so technically those would be 'the most I ran'.... other than that, I don't think I ever ran an adventure more than once.....

Sacrosanct

Legend
Kotbl dozens of times, including revisiting it later in the same campaign, and even a few times as the monsters reclaiming them.

Second place probably goes to white plume mountain, which I've run probably a half dozen times easily

And third place is the A slavers series

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases