D&D General What published module have you run or played the most?

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
Hommlet, for the town mostly. That puts it head and shoulders above anything else as a starter adventure IMO. (Well Phandelver maybe, but I've only run it once.)

Second place is Keep on the Borderlands.

S'mon

Legend
Obviously, if you don't/haven't run published modules in D&D, this is not the thread for you.

If you do, though, do you have favorites, and more specifically do you have one that you have run or played more than any others?

For the most part, I have only really recently started using modules as opposed to home brew adventures. That said, I have probably run The Sunless Citadel a dozen times in the 20 years (wow) since its release. It is my go-to introductory module, essentially my Keep on the Borderlands (despite the fact that I started playing D&D way back in 1985). It has all the things that make a great low level dungeon, including factions to deal with, horrible monsters, a potential TPK or two and fortune and glory to be won. Since it made it's official appearance for 5E in Tales of the Yawning Portal I have run it another half dozen times for folks trying to get into D&D. I much prefer it to Lost Mines as a singular adventure, though I think LMoP is a better introductory campaign.
I've probably run orange cover B3 Palace of the Silver Princess the most times - most recently in Mini Six, a D6 System variant. However Forge of Fury is getting to be a close rival! Also ran Halls of Tizun Thane a few times. Isle of Dread and Castle Amber of course. Not run Keep on the Borderlands very much, oddly.

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
Tomb of Horrors x4. Twice for different AD&D groups, 1x in 3.5, 1x in 5E (not the Yawning Portal version).

Freedom/A Little Adventure (Dark Sun) x3. Twice AD&D, 1x in 5E conversion.

Kingmaker x2 (Paizo). 1x in Pathfinder, current 5E conversion campaign.

White Plume Mountain x2. Both AD&D.

Ghost Tower of Inverness x2. AD&D and 3.5 conversion.

Savage Tide x2 (Dungeon mega-adventure). Partial completion in 3.5 and 5E conversion.

Mad God's Key (Dungeon magazine #114). Great 1st level adventure, 3rd and Pathfinder.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I forgot B3 - Palace of the Silver Princess which I have definitely run at least three time, but probably more like five.

But the other thing I wanted to bring up was the number of people who are saying things like "I never or hardly ever re-run modules." I can understand not wanting to repeat material with the same group, but getting to run the same (good) module with different people is a pleasure unto itself: To both see what different choices they make and to run it more smoothly on your end as the DM is a delight!

I generally only run a module once, but there's one notable exception:

T1 The Village of Hommlet

That's pretty much my platonic ideal of a 1e module, right there.

Now, I am starting to get the hankering to revisit some other modules I've run before. I've been thinking about re-running Out of the Abyss, but changing out the problematic drow parts to be more current. And I want to re-run I6 Ravenloft - the first time I did it, I ran it in one long session, and I feel like I shorted the adventure by not spending more time on it.

Stormonu

Legend
That is why it is better to run it as a skill challenge meant to convince the lizardfolk to invite the humans of Saltmarsh to join the alliance once the truth is figured out, rather than "just figuring it out." And then have the PCs prove their loyalty by taking care of the 1000 Teeth problem (in my game, this was a focus of a religious schism in the tribe of LF that had a chance of collapsing the alliance).
Yeah, that works, it’s just a shame that a 32-page adventure can be reduced to a 3-6 rolls or a paragraph of RP and a lone encounter.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases