D&D General What published module have you run or played the most?

werecorpse

Adventurer
I have only rarely revisited modules. Back in the day in my playing circle once you played in it you had “played it” and thee was a concern replaying it would be cheating or would spoil it so you didn’t go back. So the number of modules I played multiple times is very low.
I think I played G1 2 times in the 80’s and 90’s and ran it once in the 2000’s converted to 3e

Shiroiken

Legend
Keep on the Borderlands, by far, since I've ran it at least a dozen times or so. I'm guessing a lot of DMs from that era are the same, since it was the premiere introductory adventure of the day. Castle Amber would be number 2, with about 6-8 plays, and I think Isle of the Ape would be third, as my high level 1E group ran through it multiple times (4-5 times). Most other adventures cap out at about 3.

Lost Mines of Phandelver is currently at only 3 plays, but I expected it to go much higher. Like KotBL and Sunless Citadel, it's an excellent introductory adventure, and I use it as my staple for teaching 5E. With COVID putting my FLGS out of business, I probably won't be teaching new players for quite some time.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
The one I've run the most often is X1, "The Isle of Dread." I think I've run this module for every gaming group I've DM'd since the 1980s. I've run it as-written about a half dozen times, but I've also reskinned it to be a plane crash survival adventure for D20 Modern, a Call of Cthulhu mystery adventure, and a Norse-themed seafaring adventure. It's easily my favorite.

Others that I've run more than twice: X4, "Master of the Desert Nomads" (and its sequel X5, "Temple of Death"), CM1 "Test of the Warlords," and X11, "Saga of the Shadow Lord." The entire BECM line of modules are the best D&D adventures ever written, in my opinion, but these are at the top of the heap.

Last edited:

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I've run "Court of the Necromancers" from the Al-Qadim Cities of Bone sourcebox several times. I love it, and bene when I'm not running it I tend to use parts of it all the time.

I've also run B4: The Lost City a few times; that one just goes so differently depending on how a party approaches it.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
The one I've run the most often is X1, "The Isle of Dread."
This is one of those modules I've thus far somehow missed at every opportunity. Never run it, never played it.

And that, of course, would be the corollary thread to this one: what classic modules you thus far have somehow managed to miss.

Don't think I've run any modules more than once in a few decades (back in the B2 days when we couldn't afford to buy more modules). There are just too many good modules to spend time running them again :)

Ho boy....
Keep in the borderland. This was the adventure I used to run with new young players. I can't count how many times I ran it.

In Second place ToEE, around 3 dozens times... with different players over 38 years and the adaptation of Goodman Games will probably prompt me to run it again...

Third place will be The sinister secret of Saltmarsh.

Fourth place will de Desert of desolation and Ravenloft I6.

But the Keep on the borderland beats them all. By far.

Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh is in the top spot for me. I’ve run it under every edition of D&D since 1e and a couple of times in GURPS.

I also got a lot of mileage out of the Desert of Desolation and the Cult of the Reptile God. Also ran a GURPS version of the former.

Last edited:

Remove ads