D&D 5E What rule(s) do you tend to ignore?

Mort

Legend
Supporter
15 minute short rests. But long rests don't restore all your hit dice and it takes a week of R&R to do a full recovery for Exhaustion and full Hit Dice.
Long rests only restore up to half total hit dice by RAW regardless.

How do players react to exhaustion taking so long to restore? It's HARD to get rid of and actually one of the nastiest effects in the game (l love exhaustion effects, my players would probably say too much!)

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
Long rests only restore up to half total hit dice by RAW regardless.

How do players react to exhaustion taking so long to restore? It's HARD to get rid of and actually one of the nastiest effects in the game (l love exhaustion effects, my players would probably say too much!)
I like Exhaustion as a mechanic, but I don't use it -often-. Players can choose to inflict it on themselves by taking extreme actions of their choosing, but that's really up to them.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Another couple, both more about forgetting then ignoring :

1. Forget to pause before telling a player what spell an NPC cast, (so the player knows the spell BEFORE) deciding to counterspell. Hasn't been a problem so far, so haven't really bothered to be more careful about it.

2. Forget that portent must be declared before the die roll and just allow it to replace the roll. This one I should probably police more - but hasn't been a major issue.

By RAW a shield requires an action to equip or unequip. I've never once seen this rule actually enforced, and don't point it out when it is not followed. It's a rule that really only makes sense if you assume all shields are strapped to the forearm style rather than held at the center style, and it just locks people into using one weapon set for the whole fight which usually makes the game less interesting.

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
Inspiration. I don't like handing out candy for roleplaying.

Before you know the results powers. It's a hassle to pause every d20 roll by the DM to see if the PC with cutting words, etc., wants to do something. We remember sometimes, most we don't.

Exact distance in a day. If 3 hexes through explored territory sounds good, sure. However, in a Dark Sun 1st level desert wasteland scenario, that became vital and since it mattered, it didn't get ignored.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases