D&D (2024) What Should 1D&D Resurrect? +

"So, I was having this interesting conversation up There, with Tolkien and Howard, about race. We wanted to get Lovecraft's opinion, but of course he was in that Other Place..."
I feel like Lovecraft would probably have been reincarnated as one of the Great Race of Yith or something. And be pretty mad about it.

Also Tolkien and Gygax would probably get in a fistfight, well, a slapfight. And Howard would have to break it up.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
  • Return of classes that still haven't made it back to the game, so warlord, psionicist, and you name it from 4E classes.
  • Return of the three saves, with a choice of two stats behind them.
  • Removal of random save mechanics for other stats. "Make a strength save!" "You mean an athletics check?" "No a strength save!" Ugh.
  • Standards for the gaming day, so basically encounter powers.
  • Martials balanced and interesting across the levels.
Those are a start at least. I expect to get none of those.

dave2008

Legend
  • Return of classes that still haven't made it back to the game, so warlord, psionicist, and you name it from 4E classes.
  • Return of the three saves, with a choice of two stats behind them.
  • Removal of random save mechanics for other stats. "Make a strength save!" "You mean an athletics check?" "No a strength save!" Ugh.
  • Standards for the gaming day, so basically encounter powers.
  • Martials balanced and interesting across the levels.
Those are a start at least. I expect to get none of those.
They did talk about giving martials more tools in one of the playtest interviews, though it seemed centered around weapon properties or something similar IIRC.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
All new class/subclass features should come before levels 12/13.

later on just more/better usage of features.

In general I agree with the sentiment, but I would grant exceptions for class and subclass capstones.

EDIT: Wait, is that something that was in a previous edition to be resurrected? Or just a general wish?

Last edited:

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
They did talk about giving martials more tools in one of the playtest interviews, though it seemed centered around weapon properties or something similar IIRC.
This is something they've been talking about for the last couple of editions (both 4E and 5E wanted to work with this). I suspect it can definitely work since there are Pathfinder folks working on the edition and PF2 has pretty extensive weapon qualities.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
EDIT: Wait, is that something that was in a previous edition to be resurrected? Or just a general wish?
There were probably some exceptions but PCs in 2e didn't get nearly as much in the way of base abilities from their class as 5e classes give
Also 3.x tended to go that way other than gains everyone got from good/average/poor BaB (3.5phb pg22 table 3-1) & spell slot gains.

The way PrCs worked also tended to discourage staying in a base class longer than that. Some PrCs were great the longer you stayed in them but they too tended to shift to improvements on earlier granted abilities at some point. The big post 10ish gains in 3.x tended to be from meeting feat chain prereqs (skills bars/ ability to cast x/feat x>y>z>chain cap) rather than being from classes or PrCs directly. That sort of gain from meeting goals a player had been actively choosing to work towards compared to 5e's "well I guess I'll keep taking levels in this railroad class" were important because they caused players to have goals they were invested in chasing proactively in the GM's world or a gap they needed to fill with a potentially cooperative GM's help if they weren't.

BlackSeed_Vash

Explorer
*There are a ton of classes/prestige classes from 3.x that I'd love to see as new classes/subclasses.
*4E saving throw where Fort, Ref and Will are tied to two stats and you pick the better of the two.
*Those 3.5 multiclass feats that basically allowed you count a specific class as another class for the purposes of progressing a class feature; like Ascetic Hunter - Monk and Ranger levels stack for unarmed damage.
*ASI/Feats bound to character level instead of Class level.
*Being able to upgrade to a better animal companion/familiar.
*When creating a character, a positive Intelligence modifier granting extra languages and skill points. I'd be happy if for each point I had, I got to pick between a Knowledge skill, Language, or non-weapon/armor proficiency.
*More uses for gold. The Magic Item Compendium [3.5E] and the Arms and Equipment Guide [3E]. (hey can keep the items that would mess with bound accuracy.
*MAGIC ITEM SHOPS. They can keep the attunement rules. They can have it be stocked with Common and Uncommon items with a small chance of Rare or better.
*Weapons of Legacy [3.5E]
*Settings other than Faerun

Remove ads