D&D (2024) What Should 1D&D Resurrect? +

Greg K

Legend
Subclasses at first level
2e: Specialty Priests, Spheres of Infuence for Clerics, 2e Kits (as quick builds; see @I'm A Banana 5e Complete Handbook conversions in these forums), Weapon Groups.

3e: Skill points (as optional rule), Armor as DR (as optional rules), flat-footed AC, touch AC, Spell-less Rangers and Paladins (from Complete Divine), Spirit Shaman, Class variants at first level (e.g. Unearthed Arcana Barbarian Hunter, Cloistered Cleric, Urban Ranger, Wilderness Rogue), (edit: 3e Low-Light Vision/ Darkvision distinction).

4e: Avenger, Ranger (default non-caster), Shaman, Warlord, Bloodied, standardized conditions, Streetwise skill

Last edited:

2e: Specialty Priests, Spheres of Infuence for Clerics
Yes please!! I wouldn't mind doing something similar to the sorcerer either, making them more tightly thematic.

Unfortunately, they seem to be going in exactly the opposite direction.
3e: Skill points (as optional rule)
I wouldn't mind seeing this just because it would lure in my favorite GM. He likes many things about 5e, but he found the lack of skill points a violent turn-off.

Greg K

Legend
Unfortunately, they seem to be going in exactly the opposite direction.
Yeah, it is unfortunate. I don't know that I will adopt OneD&D based on what I have seen to date.
I wouldn't mind seeing this just because it would lure in my favorite GM. He likes many things about 5e, but he found the lack of skill points a violent turn-off.
The lack of a skill points in 5e was one of my annoyances with the edition. I get it is not everyone's thing, but I felt it should have been an official option in the DMG for those of us that wanted it.

Reynard says prestige classes (lol did he put me on ignore? I haven't even had an argument with him recently! Perhaps it was pre-emptive at such a daring suggestion!)

Would be my reaction to that. NOT IN A GOOD WAY!!!

However maybe you could make them more like Paragon paths and they could be crummy for the game less and be less wildly exploited? Like, make it so people can only take one, ever, and the only hard pre-req is a specific level, which is the same for all PrCs (soft RP/setting etc. prereqs could exist of course - including ones like species, but leave it up to the DM if they want to enforce).

The exploration and social pillars.
For real for real.

Personally:

Multiclassing.

No, real 1E/2E-style multiclassing, not the weird 3E dual-classing that's inexplicably called multiclassing (tbf dual-classing was also a dumb and inaccurate name).

Limit it to two classes at once, but make it be a thing you can do from L1. Maybe put it in the DMG if there isn't room to do it justice in the PHB.

Vael

Legend
1. Some alternative to level-based multiclassing.
2. Warlords
3. Psionics
4. Shardminds and some other exotic and bizarre origins.
5. Gestalt PC rules

I'm pretty much happy with the structure and mechanics of 5e so my tweaks would be minor
- I like bloodied
-you can do cool stuff with your HD
-your culture should give you a few more things
-a few spell seem a bit badly thought through
-drink a potion as an interaction.

But (+) for me with a few tweaks

Epic destinies. Hell, I'll expand that- high level material that isn't an afterthought in general.
a 4 level epic destiny you pick at level 17 would be amazing...

I would love an optional prestige class/paragon path that can be added to characters around level 7.

I really want a warlord... sort of. I want fighter broken into 3 classes (actually based 3 subclasses from phb 2014) Take a half caster combat class instead of eldritch knight subclass. Take battlemaster and make a class that 1 sub class can be warlord, but mostly I want a complex powerful non magic class (I lean toward swordsage for name) and then the basic champion style fighter (it can keep the name)

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Let's not speak ill of the dead but I think "Gary Gygax nuclear ultimate cancelled only days after resurrection" is probably not a headline we want to be reading but given some of his views would most assuredly be a headline we would be reading.

"So, I was having this interesting conversation up There, with Tolkien and Howard, about race. We wanted to get Lovecraft's opinion, but of course he was in that Other Place..."

Remove ads