D&D (2024) What Should 1D&D Resurrect? +

Staffan

Legend
I don't know about bringing back attacking saving throws, but I would definitely favor bringing back Fort/Ref/Will for a variety of balance reasons.
One would think that making spells and stuff use attacks vs Fort/Ref/Will defense is equivalent to having Fort/Ref/Will saves vs save DC, but it isn't really. That's because they're affected by different things. In 5e at least, it's pretty easy to increase your attacks: Bless, Bardic Inspiration, assorted other abilities. But it's a lot harder to give your opponents a penalty to their saves.

fuindordm

Adventurer
I think we have enough ideas on here for a poll...
1. Spells that can backfire if misused: FB, LB, fly, haste...
2. 1e style multiclassing (it would have worked even in 3rd edition--it just needs a bit of math to make sure the XP tables would put a MC character 1-2 levels behind single-classed characters
3. Fort/Reflex/Will instead of 6 saving throws, or else much clearer guidelines and consistent application of which effects require which saves
4. Spell schools as descriptive tags, NOT a mechanic for designing spell lists
5. Fewer charisma-based spellcasters
6. Better balance between the attributes, e.g. Int gives skill points, Dex does not add to damage
7. Less spellcasting overall in class design

Clint_L

Hero
If we are serious about resurrecting things for OneD&D, I would focus on things that are additive, since WotC has made it plain in words and actions that they are keeping 5e as the chassis. So you aren't going to see fundamental features replaced, which some of that list would do. Spells that can backfire is a great suggestion, for example, as that is an addition.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
If we are serious about resurrecting things for OneD&D, I would focus on things that are additive, since WotC has made it plain in words and actions that they are keeping 5e as the chassis. So you aren't going to see fundamental features replaced, which some of that list would do. Spells that can backfire is a great suggestion, for example, as that is an addition.
Use whatever criteria you wish, but please don't argue against the premise of + threads and try to shut down discussion.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
  • 2e style attribute bonuses that have +0 from ~7 up to 14 where they shift to -1/+1 at 6 & 15. This would carve out room for magic items to fill the gap and reduce the pressure to hyper minmax every stat that has existed since 3.x standardized on +1/-1 at 12 & 8 then every 2 points beyond
  • PCs that Require stuff from the GM to avoid starving in the gutters/being underequipped/etc. IoW Magic Item Churn. It's far too easy for 5e PCs to just declare "I'm a R O L E player" and faff about ignoring any sort of plot pressures because the PCs don't have any of their own.
  • Body slot conflicts as a tool GMs can use

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”

If all the ideas that will never in a million years actually happen were suddenly removed from this forum, the only thing left would be OGL threads.

Remove ads