D&D (2024) What should be the Optimization and Magic Item Assumption of PCs be?

What should be the Optimization and Magic Item Assumption of PCs in One D&D

• Low Optimization and No Numerical Bonus Magic Items

Votes: 12 17.1%
  • Low Optimization and Some Numerical Bonus Magic Items

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • Low Optimization and Many Numerical Bonus Magic Items

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Moderate Optimization and No Numerical Bonus Magic Items (5e)

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • Moderate Optimization and Some Numerical Bonus Magic Items

Votes: 20 28.6%
  • Moderate Optimization and Many Numerical Bonus Magic Items

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Heavy Optimization and No Numerical Bonus Magic Items

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Heavy Optimization and Some Numerical Bonus Magic Items

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Heavy Optimization and No Numerical Bonus Magic Items

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.3%

• Poll closed .
I would include Magic items in the CR calculations... a simple version would be "If 2 or more players have AC boosting magic items add 1 to the groups effective level, if half or more have attack/damage/save boosting intems add 1 as well"

then again I would add "if your party doesn't have someone that can heal subtract 1 level"

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Not having a good handle on what "low, medium, and heavy" are...

I would prefer the base assumptions be that
1) Players are intelligent enough to make the pretty obvious basic choices for character development - if you have to dig around and try several builds, or use a spreadsheet to calculate expected damage per round, to find an option, that's beyond "obvious choices".

2) Largely 5e levels of magic assumption - hit point healing magics are rather easy to get, but numerical bonuses are not assumed. Some guidelines on how those bonuses effect balance might be nice, but in complicated and complex games it can be difficult to do. I can develop my own intuition about them.

hit point healing magics are rather easy to get
I have always wondered about this from a D&D nerdist's perspectives. Like, what are healing potions? I get that it relates to hit points, which I think most assume are a combination of fatigue, luck, and actual damage. So what is in that liquid? It is like the ammonia stuff powerlifters inhale before a big lift? Is it an instantaneous type of IV infusion with oxygenated red blood cells that absorbs through the digestive system? Is it like the goo they give to marathon runners? Is it some type of instant pain reliever, like oxy-whatever? ;)

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
I have always wondered about this from a D&D nerdist's perspectives. Like, what are healing potions? I get that it relates to hit points, which I think most assume are a combination of fatigue, luck, and actual damage. So what is in that liquid? It is like the ammonia stuff powerlifters inhale before a big lift? Is it an instantaneous type of IV infusion with oxygenated red blood cells that absorbs through the digestive system? Is it like the goo they give to marathon runners? Is it some type of instant pain reliever, like oxy-whatever? ;)
Liquid Schwartz.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Any of the above, really.

I mean, I styled an Artificer's Cure Wounds spell as him slapping a little "autodoc" device on someone that had a bunch of needles of injectable herbal remedies and glues to stitch up scratches and such.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
It's like all the drugs, man.

Pauln6

Hero
Iron Bru

Remove ads