D&D (2024) What Should D&D 2024 Have Been +

Vaalingrade

Legend
🤷‍♂️ 1 inch = 1 square/hex

Avoids the issues of needing to fit the world into perfect squares or having partial hexes inside of buildings.
But it adds the issue of having to physically measure out every movement and terrain placement. And I'd much rather break my DMG in half and shove it down my throat until I can't see it anymore before doing that.

Argyle King

Legend
But it adds the issue of having to physically measure out every movement and terrain placement. And I'd much rather break my DMG in half and shove it down my throat until I can't see it anymore before doing that.

At first, maybe. But you could eyeball it most of the time. To me, it's the same amount of effort as picking up a piece with my hand and counting spaces.

In all fairness, I have a lot of experience eyeballing distance due to sports, rifle marksmanship, and doing various minor carpentry tasks around the house, so it may come more easily to me than it may come to others.

Alternatively, you could buy some sort of official WoTC app (for 99 cents or whatever) that could use your digital device's camera to estimate distance. (I wouldn't do that, but I could see it being something that people would buy.)

Argyle King

Legend
I have no idea how many people will get the reference by, this gives 'I'll grant that the hose will be uncomfortable at first...' energy.

But yeah, like I said, I don't play minis games because I don't feel the amount of work is rewarded.

Fair enough.

Side note: If you like using hexes, chemistry notebooks and chemistry note cards work pretty well for ttrpgs.

Edit: The embedded link was not working.

BENZNOTE Index Cards, for Organic and Bio Chemistry, 4" x 6", Hexagonal Graph Rule, Green Lined, 100 Index Cards https://a.co/d/eyoMQMS

ezo

Get off my lawn!
So I like your 2:1 ration restriction. I would be a bit more lenient in rounding though. I'd say a 3:1 split as maximum difference seems optimal.
So:
1-0
1-1
2-1
3-1
3-2
4-2
5-2
6-2
6-3
7-3
8-3
9-3
9-4
10-4
11-4
12-4
12-5
13-5
14-5
15-5
Sure, that would work fine with me, but I hesitate a bit with 15-5 because if you did caster-martial you'd have both 8th level spells and Extra Attack. Granted few games ever reach such a point, so it's a minor issue really.

I was discussing this with a player Sunday for my current game. He's a Rogue and planning to go Warlock eventually, but thinking not until Rogue 5. He knows that means 3 levels of Warlock before he can jump back to Rogue 6. Right now I think we'll probably run until 10-12th level, so he's looking at a 7/5 split at the end, maybe 8/4...

Sure, that would work fine with me, but I hesitate a bit with 15-5 because if you did caster-martial you'd have both 8th level spells and Extra Attack. Granted few games ever reach such a point, so it's a minor issue really.

I was discussing this with a player Sunday for my current game. He's a Rogue and planning to go Warlock eventually, but thinking not until Rogue 5. He knows that means 3 levels of Warlock before he can jump back to Rogue 6. Right now I think we'll probably run until 10-12th level, so he's looking at a 7/5 split at the end, maybe 8/4...
You can easily have level 9 spells and extra attack. So I am not worried there.
On the opposite. I think that is a nice captone for a multiclass character. Only level 8 spells is quite some cost to pay for a multiattack you probably won't need anyway.

Zardnaar

Legend
Basically what it is now. A 5.5.

Anything to drastically different from 5E woukd not go down well.

I suspect it's probably better than 2014 in a vacumn. BUT after a decade of 2014 I'm kinda over it to some extent.

ECMO3

Legend
I wish the 2024 would switch from 5ft-Squares to the 1yard/1meter-square.

I'm aware that 1 yard ≠ 1 meter, but it's close enough that I would be okay with either being used.

I would much rather play D&D with the English system than the metric system. It is not that I don't understand the metric system. I am an engineer and can go back and forth no problem. I just greatly prefer the English system and I think most of the market does as well.

I have a played a fair amount of D&D with people from overseas (Austrailia, Russia, Netherlands, Israel, Germany, Romania) and the English system seemed to work fine in those games and with those players.

Remove ads