D&D (2024) What Should D&D 2024 Have Been +

Argyle King

Legend
So marginally different, just cant agree. 🤷‍♂️

Fair enough. Different people like different things.

For me, gaining a better method of measurement echoes into improving other aspects of play, while also making it easier to use real-world floorplans as maps.

Additionally, if WoTC is looking to push D&D into a worldwide brand, a method of measurement that is more-easily understood across language barriers and different cultures would help facilitate that.

CapnZapp

Legend
I expanded on my take re: what D&D 2024 probably won't fix.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Fair enough. Different people like different things.

For me, gaining a better method of measurement echoes into improving other aspects of play, while also making it easier to use real-world floorplans as maps.

Additionally, if WoTC is looking to push D&D into a worldwide brand, a method of measurement that is more-easily understood across language barriers and different cultures would help facilitate that.
Their biggest market is still the US though. Do you really think international sales are affected all that much by a difference in measuring systems? WotC only cares about the math, so any argument for change has to have a math-friendly reason.

Argyle King

Legend
Their biggest market is still the US though. Do you really think international sales are affected all that much by a difference in measuring systems? WotC only cares about the math, so any argument for change has to have a math-friendly reason.

So, the yard then.

Math reason:
1s = 1y is simpler than 1s = 5ft.

The main drawback to this is losing the perfect square shape of contemporary D&D minis, as things like horses become a base of 1x2 instead of a base of 2×2.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I wish the 2024 would switch from 5ft-Squares to the 1yard/1meter-square.
The problem with that is the sheer number of squares you have to count in a big area. Right now, for example, a 60x60' room would be 6 squares if using 10' scale or 12 squares (which is already bad enough!) if using 5' scale. Your idea would make it 20 squares across, and that's a nuisance to have to count in a hurry.

Remove ads