D&D 5E What Single Thing Would You Add

Reynard

Legend
It my experience it is.

I was responding to the statement that it was a "truism" that fighters were for people that wanted simple play options and wizards were for people that wanted complex play options. That is NOT a truism. It is a stereotype that does not bear out under any real scrutiny. I mean, how many "complex fighter" classes have we had throughout the editions to satisfy people that wanted martial characters with plenty of fiddly options? And the original sorcerer in 3E existed specifically as an option for people that wanted a simpler caster.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
What I don't understand is why it's desirable for them to not use the big guns right away in a fight. I understand holding some power in reserve for, you know, later fights due to the danger of the monster-riddled environment. But why should you not hit a deadly opponent as hard as you can?
Because it leads to problems. Either you have to cram in several fights per long rest, i.e. alway dungeon crawl, or fights become trivial, or the DM has to ramp up the difficulty of fights to near or beyond deadly every time. Each of these has problems of its own.

Oofta

Legend
I was responding to the statement that it was a "truism" that fighters were for people that wanted simple play options and wizards were for people that wanted complex play options. That is NOT a truism. It is a stereotype that does not bear out under any real scrutiny. I mean, how many "complex fighter" classes have we had throughout the editions to satisfy people that wanted martial characters with plenty of fiddly options? And the original sorcerer in 3E existed specifically as an option for people that wanted a simpler caster.
Depends on the style of fighter. Some people want dirt simple (champion fighter, no feats) others want more complex.

You can do a very simple fighter or rogue, you can do complex ones. Wizards and the like are pretty much always going to be more complex.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
That's not true. Mostly it is about EDIT [[laziness]] THAT WAS NOT OKAY OF ME at the table -- or, more charitably, an interest in drama and action over simulation. AD&D had a huge amount of weapon detail in it (due to Gygax's interest in such things) and if employed those details actually mattered. But people did not like having to do any additional math (or something) so those bits got slowly removed from the game until we are left with handedness and damage as the only important traits.
then what would be needed is a super-easy way to do it like enemy weak the blunt lets you add another dice to every successful hit, player's love it when they can punch above the weight class.

Reynard

Legend
Depends on the style of fighter. Some people want dirt simple (champion fighter, no feats) others want more complex.

You can do a very simple fighter or rogue, you can do complex ones. Wizards and the like are pretty much always going to be more complex.
Emphasis mine.

Yes. Exactly.

Oofta

Legend
Because it leads to problems. Either you have to cram in several fights per long rest, i.e. alway dungeon crawl, or fights become trivial, or the DM has to ramp up the difficulty of fights to near or beyond deadly every time. Each of these has problems of its own.
I do have 5-10 fights between long rests by using the alternative rules for short rest being overnight and long rest being a week. Fits my concepts of healing and pacing better.

They had to make some assumptions for balancing out PCs of various classes. I don't think they necessarily have the balance correct, but I don't think there is a perfect solution.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Perhaps we need more monsters that can shrug off magic but not weapons (or at least not weapons made of silver/"cold iron"/material of choice).
my thoughts exactly makes the game more interesting if there are things magic can't do also makes the fighter player happy.

Remove ads