D&D 5E What Single Thing Would You Eliminate

Oofta

Legend
It depends on the edition of D&D.

In the version I'm playing, there is literally a name for every level. And your character knows what name they go by. A 3rd-level Cleric is a Priest. A 3rd-level magic-user is a Conjurer.

Once a fighter reaches 9th level, they are a Lord and can be granted land and titles.

Each level is distinct, named, and known in-character for exactly what they are.
Again, I'd say your conflating game mechanics with what's going on in the world.

Yes, at a certain level a fighter gains a title. That's because they've proven themselves worthy of the title. At one point I was a junior developer, then developer, senior developer. The titles recognized my level of expertise.

That and titles reflect the roots of D&D in wargames. If you want every PC to have Deadpool break the fourth wall level of awareness, that's fine. Many people do not.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
Can't see why, as it's trivially easy to do.

The trick is that during the session all you track is who got in on what (see below), which takes maybe 10-15 seconds per encounter, and then rather than stopping the session to work out the actual numbers do that sometime during the week.

How I do it during the session looks something like this: (all the dashes are just for spacing)

- - - - - - - - - - - - 4 Orcs - - sec door - - trap - - hydra 6hd - - [etc.]
Aloysius - - - - - - - XX - - - - - - - - - - - -XX - - - - XX - - - - -
Bjarnni - - - - - - - - XX - - - - - - XX - - - - - - - - - -XX - - - - -
Coriander - - - - - - 1/2 - - - - - -XX - - - -XX - - - - XX - - - - -
Dumystor - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -(died)
Eohyl - - - - - - - - - XX - - - - - - - - - - - -1/2 - - - - XX - - - - -
Falstaffe - - - - - - - XX - - - - - - XX - - - - XX - - - - XX - - - - -

Pre-session I've listed the characters. During the session all I need to do is note what the encounter was with, and ticks for who got involved (or 1/2-notatoons for those with peripheral involvement, etc.), and this takes no time at all during play. During the week I'll go through, work out the numbers, divide them down, and write the results next to each tick. Here, each tick under the "4 Orcs" heading might have "23" written next to it, while the "1/2" would have "12".

Once I give out these xp - let's say I give them out at this point - I'd draw a big thick line down the page under where it says "[etc.]" to show me where the next batch begins.

Here, Falstaffe would ge the most as she got in on everything. Dumystor wouldn't get any, as his only contribution to anything was to die.
"it's trivially easy to do"

[posts 100s of words explaining it, including a table]

;)

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Because making decisions in-character is a process, not a result. If I give weight to OOC factors like potential XP gain in additional to the character's IC concerns, that's a different process than focusing exclusively on IC concerns.

For example, let's say the PCs are deciding between two competing priorities: answering an urgent call from their allies for military aid, or keeping their contractual commitments to the Wizards Guild to provide security at a new dig site. An exclusively IC decision-making process would only look at the character's motivations, loyalties, and priorities. That's a different mental process than considering all of those factors in addition to trying to trying to give added weight to whichever choice will result in the fastest XP gain. Maybe my character has a love interest among the allies in need, but values their reputation for honestly highly, and thus doesn't want to break a contractual commitment. Weighing those competing priorities may be a hard choice, but it's a straightforward binary trade-off. Trying to add relative rates of XP gain as a factor in the decision instead turns it into a much more complicated multidimensional optimization problem.
I guess, if you’re awarding XP for macro-level decisions like that, instead of for more granular things like encounters and objectives, that might influence the decision process. Of course, the way XP is typically awarded, you wouldn’t easily be able to discern which path is worth more XP. The XP should come from the challenges you face during the adventure, and influence moment-to-moment decisions like whether to try and slay the dragon or steal its treasure and leave without it noticing. And, yes, that is an additional factor influencing your decision process, but again, it shouldn’t produce different outcomes unless you’ve made the decision to play a character who would otherwise reject the sort of activity the campaign is focused on - which is generally considered bad form.
Because my emotional state and the character's emotional state are different.
They shouldn’t be. To paraphrase the EGGman, you are making believe you are the character.
It's hard enough trying to empathize with the character strongly enough to make decisions from their point of view, and based on their emotions rather than my own. I can do that while trying to keep an intuitive, OOC sense of the other players' moods so that I can make sure my IC decisions are also fun for the rest of the table. I can't do both of those while also trying to simultaneously make a rational extrapolation of which IC options will result in the fastest character advancement.
I get the impression that you are holding in your mind some kind of ideal “pure” form of roleplaying, wherein decisions made are based exclusively on the fictional character’s experiences, emotions, and perspective (though you do seem to allow leeway for what would make the more enjoyable gaming experience for the other players at the table). Personally, I don’t favor this over a decision process that incorporates the player’s experiences, emotions, and perspective. On the contrary, I think it is both impossible to remove the player from the equation and misguided to attempt to do so. Because the player is making believe they are the character, whatever the player decides to do is what the character “would do,” and I favor mechanics that encourage the player to align their own thinking with that of a character in the fictional world, rather than try to compartmentalize the two.
Also, my goals and my character's goals are almost never going to be in concert.
I fundamentally and emphatically disagree. I think your goals and your characters goals can easily be in concert, and should be as often as possible.
My goal is to be a fun player (or DM) who contributes to everyone else having a great time while also enjoying myself.
Sure, but those are meta-game goals. What you want for your character and what your character wants for themselves should be in concert: to complete the quest, to find the McGuffin, to rescue the villagers, to crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women... (ok, you probably shouldn’t want that last one, but I couldn’t resist the reference.)

If the game rewards you for doing those things, it aligns your goals with your character’s goals. A good thing in my view.

Xetheral

Three-Headed Sirrush
I guess, if you’re awarding XP for macro-level decisions like that, instead of for more granular things like encounters and objectives, that might influence the decision process. Of course, the way XP is typically awarded, you wouldn’t easily be able to discern which path is worth more XP. The XP should come from the challenges you face during the adventure, and influence moment-to-moment decisions like whether to try and slay the dragon or steal its treasure and leave without it noticing. And, yes, that is an additional factor influencing your decision process, but again, it shouldn’t produce different outcomes unless you’ve made the decision to play a character who would otherwise reject the sort of activity the campaign is focused on - which is generally considered bad form.
Your response doesn't make a lot of sense to me, so maybe I've misunderstood what you are arguing in favor of. To clarify, I was under the impression that you were arguing in favor of using encounter-based XP because you want players to be able to make choices that prioritize character advancement. To me that implies you want players to be able to choose between encounters based on which ones provide more XP. Other than for somewhat-unusual tactical situations, isn't the choice of which encounters to face a macro-level strategic decision of which quests to undertake or which plot hooks to follow?

I know you'd agree that choosing between quests and plot hooks isn't ever bad form, so my impression of what you're arguing must be wrong. So you could clarify what kind of in-character decisions you want to be able to make (or you want your players to be able to make) with XP-maximization in mind?

They shouldn’t be. To paraphrase the EGGman, you are making believe you are the character.
Why would I only make believe I am a character whose emotional state happens to always match my own? That's really limiting on the range of characters one can play.

I get the impression that you are holding in your mind some kind of ideal “pure” form of roleplaying, wherein decisions made are based exclusively on the fictional character’s experiences, emotions, and perspective (though you do seem to allow leeway for what would make the more enjoyable gaming experience for the other players at the table). Personally, I don’t favor this over a decision process that incorporates the player’s experiences, emotions, and perspective. On the contrary, I think it is both impossible to remove the player from the equation and misguided to attempt to do so. Because the player is making believe they are the character, whatever the player decides to do is what the character “would do,” and I favor mechanics that encourage the player to align their own thinking with that of a character in the fictional world, rather than try to compartmentalize the two.
There are definitely multiple ways to roleplay, and all of them are legitimate. Personally, my preferred style is an immersive approach where I'm empathizing with the character and trying to think and feel like they would (while still considering necessary OOC factors like table fun-maximization). Since characters aren't aware of the concept of XP, trying to make IC decisions with XP-maximization in mind would get in the way of my preferred style of roleplaying (and unlike table fun-maximization, I don't see optimizing the rate of XP gain as a critical concern). I don't think there is anything misguided about my preferred style.

I'm not sure I completely follow how the details of your preferred style of roleplaying works, but if per-encounter XP makes it easier for you to roleplay in your preferred style, cool!

The entire reason I originally responded to you was to point out that while you see letting the characters make XP-maximizing IC choices as a benefit to your preferred style of RP, it's a drawback to mine.

I fundamentally and emphatically disagree. I think your goals and your characters goals can easily be in concert, and should be as often as possible.

Sure, but those are meta-game goals. What you want for your character and what your character wants for themselves should be in concert: to complete the quest, to find the McGuffin, to rescue the villagers, to crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women... (ok, you probably shouldn’t want that last one, but I couldn’t resist the reference.)

If the game rewards you for doing those things, it aligns your goals with your character’s goals. A good thing in my view.
I think we're talking past each other again. Or maybe we're agreeing but just using different language to express the same point of view.

I create IC goals and priorities for my character that align with the theme of the campaign. (Which could be a narrow theme if the campaign is a single epic quest, or quite broad if the campaign is a wide-open sandbox.) If character creation is being done jointly, I'll also make sure my character's goals and priorities are either in harmony with the other characters' goals, or (with the other players' agreement) entertainingly in conflict.

"What I want for my character", as you put it, is a story that I and the other players will find satisfying, based on our own preferences and idiosyncrasies. That doesn't necessarily mean I want my character to succeed at all their goals. A character can have goals and priorities that are in tension with each other, so succeeding at all of their goals while keeping true to their priorities is unlikely in the extreme. Other characters have long-term goals that are outside the scope of a campaign (so long as short-term pursuit of that goal is within scope). Other characters might be doomed, in the sense that some of their goals are implausible (or even impossible) to meet. In the course of a campaign, one or more characters might end up failing at their goals, and that's ok! Heroic sacrifices, defiant last stands, and pyrrhic victories can all make for great stories. So long as the end result is satisfying for everyone, I don't really care if my character succeeds or fails at their goals.

I'm having a hard time understanding why you think it's desirable for my OOC goals to exactly match my character's IC goals. To me the very ideas are entirely orthogonal to one another. Also, players are going to fail at their goals all the time (e.g. an untimely demise). If the player's OOC goals and the character's IC goals are (somehow) identical, doesn't that imply that a failure on the part of the character is a failure on the part of the player? How would that be fun?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Think of that kind of adventure as a journey with identifiable legs. I’m travelling from London to Paris as leg one. I can go by any route, take as long as I want, and visit what I like along the way. As long as I end up in Paris. The same for Paris to Lyon. Lyon to Nice. Nice to Florence. That’s the agency the players get in an AP style game. They don’t get to decide to go to Morocco.
And right there in a nutshell you've outlined the absolute worst thing with hard-rail AP-style play: no matter where you go or what you do you're going to end up first in Paris, then in Lyon, etc.

Fine for thems as likes it, I suppose, but for me if I and my party can't decide to go to Morocco and abandon France completely it's nowhere near as much fun.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
So I disagree. Casters don't know that because they're level 5 they can now cast fireball. They know they have been studying how to control and manipulate magic long enough and had enough practical application of spells that they now understand how to cast fireball.
And they also know that there's other mages who don't yet have that ability - flaming sphere is the best they can do - and still others who can cast teleport. In such a setting there would very quickly be a pecking order established, based on "what's the best you can cast?".
The monk slowly learns how to control their ki and one day has a breakthrough, the fighter slowly through practice and battle slowly gets better.
A coloured-belt system, as in real-world martial arts, handles this. You know what colour belt you are, and when you wear it so does everyone else.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Heh. It don't always work that way. :)

Last night, for example, I hit this exact situation on a rather macro-level: I-as-player wanted to keep playing a particular PC in a campaign but the PC itself had every reason to leave that campaign. My goal: keep him in. His goal: GTFO.

His goal trumps my goal, and so he's out.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
And right there in a nutshell you've outlined the absolute worst thing with hard-rail AP-style play: no matter where you go or what you do you're going to end up first in Paris, then in Lyon, etc.

Fine for thems as likes it, I suppose, but for me if I and my party can't decide to go to Morocco and abandon France completely it's nowhere near as much fun.
Most APs wouldn't necessarily have a hard rail - it's just relatively clear that heading outside of the bounds of the AP expected flow means no AP content is involved and in play. For example, if I'm running Masks of Nyarlathotep for my players, (let's assume initial publication) I've got 5 global locations with significant content for the campaign (New York, London, Cairo, Nairobi, Shanghai). If the PCs decide to go on an expedition to Norway, they could do so, but they won't be making any progress toward the campaign's resolution (and may, in fact, be making things harder for themselves by eating up their time). They might do a little shopping in Oslo or relax along a fjord, they may even try to hunt an elusive gnoph-keh, but things are still going on in the other locations free of PC influence. We'll see what happens when they hop back on a ship and return to the AP's content.
It's also entirely possible that the players may choose to go completely outside of the AP and never get back to it. If I'm running Paizo's Curse of the Crimson Throne and the characters decide to leave Korvosa to head to Galt for some reason, (the gods only know why) maybe they want to try to end the cycle of beheadings and add some political stability, they're pretty much changing the terms of the game as established at the beginning at our Session 0. They're free to do so, but at that point, as the DM side of the campaign agreement, I may choose to not participate if it's no longer content I'm interested in running. They've basically exercised their choice to end the agreed-upon campaign in favor of something else. I hope they have some thoughts on who's going to run it in case I'm not on board.

Remove ads