• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What Specifically is Wrong with the FAQ?

Legildur

First Post
Nail said:
Is there a thread in particular that you'd like attention for, moritheil? :)
Yeah, his trollling post made a few minutes before the unrelated reference in this thread.

But yeah, the links posted by I2K are probably all you really need.

Personally, I think that Hypersmurf should start his own FAQ thread and have it sticky at the top of the Rules Forum. I'd read that sooner that WotC's efforts.

Vuron

First Post
Ranger REG said:
Apparently, not everyone agree with the successor of the Sage Advice. Personally, the Sage should not be one person but a panel group.

A panel of 3 or more line developers in charge of that line would be optimal but I can certainly understand why one developer might be given it as a collateral duty as the FAQ hardly makes money for wizards.

Nail

First Post
Vuron said:
..... as the FAQ hardly makes money for wizards.
Don't be so sure!

Customer service never makes a company money directly...and yet they all do it.

Why? Companies with good customer service...tend to make more money!

Vuron

First Post
Nail said:
Don't be so sure!

Customer service never makes a company money directly...and yet they all do it.

Why? Companies with good customer service...tend to make more money!

While I agree that post-purchase customer support is a critical aspect to fostering a good client relationship I'm not sure that Wizards feels that spending a large amount of time on FAQ and errata is as valuable as generating new gaming material. But it would be wonderful if one or more of the line developers was willing/able to spend the same amount of time answering rules question as Steve Kenson seems to do with MnM, etc.

The last time I got something good out of it was because of a "ruling" on Improved Trip. I don't recall if the mechanics behind the ruling were explained, though.

Now it's so bloated and filled with material from books I'll never see, much less use, that it's just not worth the effort of actually reading the thing.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
A panel of 3 or more line developers in charge of that line would be optimal but I can certainly understand why one developer might be given it as a collateral duty

I'd prefer a triumverate of judges myself as well- the rules were designed as a group, and clearly (to me at least) there are sections that are capable of multiple interpretations by reasonable people. When you have a single judge on something like this, you get one person's opinion, regardless of experience. When you 3 or more, you can get a consensus.

Legildur

First Post
Dannyalcatraz said:
I'd prefer a triumverate of judges myself as well- the rules were designed as a group, and clearly (to me at least) there are sections that are capable of multiple interpretations by reasonable people. When you have a single judge on something like this, you get one person's opinion, regardless of experience. When you 3 or more, you can get a consensus.
Agreed.

Rhun

First Post
Legildur said:
Personally, I think that Hypersmurf should start his own FAQ thread and have it sticky at the top of the Rules Forum. I'd read that sooner that WotC's efforts.

I kinda have to second this! :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads