• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What Specifically is Wrong with the FAQ?

Rhun

First Post
My personal opinion is that clarification should be left up to the individual DM. Maybe that is my 1E mentality kicking in (you know, back in the day when there was nobody to ask about the rules), but I believe that is a large part of the DM's job. My friends and I have ALWAYS managed to have fun times playing the game, and we've never had to turn to someone outside the group to give us a ruling on the rules.

Iku Rex

Explorer
How to make the FAQ better

I apologize in advance to the OP for continuing the hijack. :\

I'd leave the FAQ with one man*. But I'd have each new addition posted on a message board or mailing list a couple of weeks before it was officially published. Then I'd have a few designated deputies follow the ensuing discussions/comments and deliver concise feedback to the Sage. That should take care of a lot of the problems.

A similar approach could be used to clear up the current main FAQ. (Even if the rulings remain, I think adding "behind the scenes" explanations to the most contested answers would pacify at least some of the haters.)

*I am not sure it's actually all written by one man. I remember a reply from Skip Williams from a few years ago (regarding Divine Might I think) where he mentioned others involved in making the FAQ.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Vuron said:
A panel of 3 or more line developers in charge of that line would be optimal but I can certainly understand why one developer might be given it as a collateral duty as the FAQ hardly makes money for wizards.
Maybe, but when one is in the the rules-making business, one must make sure their gaming customers understand them, or at least their intention for the rules. Otherwise, you're wasting ink and paper on a bunch of nonsense.

For me, I just want the official party-line answer. If I happen to disagree with them, I'll change the rules to my liking. Unfortunately, there are other people don't want to be bothered with rules tweaking and demand the publisher to formally change the rules and apply said change to everyone. As if the laws in Maryland should apply to Hawaii.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Well, even if the FAQ questions were debated and decided upon by a Council of 12, the answer could be written in the singular voice, creating your "Party Line."

Asmo

First Post
Legildur said:
Personally, I think that Hypersmurf should start his own FAQ thread and have it sticky at the top of the Rules Forum. I'd read that sooner that WotC's efforts.

Put in house rules or some other forum and let the designers handle the real deal. Personally.

Asmo

Iku Rex

Explorer
RigaMortus2 said:
Here is an idea... After Complete Scoundrel comes out, they should make and sell a Complete FAQ and Complete Errata book :)
Yeah! They could call it a "revision", or "DnD 3.75".

(WotC just have to make sure they don't fix everything, or there'll be no demand for the next edition or "revision".)

I'd leave the FAQ with one man*.

I'd rather not. I'd rather have the FAQ written by the "best person" to do the job. A section devoted to Psionics, for instance, should be written by a psionic author (specifically whoever wrote the psionic book in question). A section on Eberron should be written by an Eberron author (again, whoever wrote the particular Eberron book in question) and so forth.

Iku Rex

Explorer
(Psi)SeveredHead said:
I'd rather have the FAQ written by the "best person" to do the job. A section devoted to Psionics, for instance, should be written by a psionic author (specifically whoever wrote the psionic book in question). A section on Eberron should be written by an Eberron author (again, whoever wrote the particular Eberron book in question) and so forth.
This is begging for internal contradictions as each author introduces his own confused ideas about "universal" rule issues.

Some "I asked [author], who created that [prestige class, feat, spell, etc.], and he says that the intent was ..." notes from the Sage would be nice though.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
I remember reading the Dave Noonan has had his hand at Sage Advice a few times recently.

Also, put me down as one who thinks what is wrong with the FAQ is that it is bloated. WotC should put out a consolidated FAQ for the Core books, and a separate consolidated FAQ for all others. At this point throwing them all together is a hinderance more than a benefit.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads