D&D General what stranger stuff is there for settings?

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
as a hypothetical what is there that could be taken for inspiration that has not been worn into the ground yet for setting design?
as we fear more sameyness but figuring out what we can take inspiration from and in what ways could show us what else a setting could be?

old wired fiction gave us dark sun, eberron is fantasy 1920's with everything in dnd reshuffled what can we look in to build things new ideally multi sources things get more original if they draw from more things.

It may not be terribly popular on here, but one very large fantasy genre that D&D has always skirted around or ignored is romantic fantasy. Soul bonds between destined lovers, shapeshifters, bonded mind-linked companion animals/monsters, sneering aristocrats with great cheekbones and hidden tortured backstories, ancient academies where you get sent to learn to control your powers among backbiting student cliques, love-triangles, mysterious absent parents who were not what you assumed, being the Last Inheritor of [something], ancient curses, unicorns, dragons, half-vampires, big destinies, secret monster-hunting societies, crystal castles in the sky. There's a lot of basic D&D assumptions that don't fit very comfortably with this sort of story, and of course WotC would want to keep everything PG-rated, but the genre is massive.

Green Ronin's Blue Rose covered some of this ground. I think there was going to be a 5e version, not sure what happened to it. I was kinda hoping that SotDQ would lean into supporting the whole romance/destiny type story, because Dragonlance has always been very big on that, but (probably predictably) WotC leaned into the war story side of things instead.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
It may not be terribly popular on here, but one very large fantasy genre that D&D has always skirted around or ignored is romantic fantasy. Soul bonds between destined lovers, shapeshifters, bonded mind-linked companion animals/monsters, sneering aristocrats with great cheekbones and hidden tortured backstories, ancient academies where you get sent to learn to control your powers among backbiting student cliques, love-triangles, mysterious absent parents who were not what you assumed, being the Last Inheritor of [something], ancient curses, unicorns, dragons, half-vampires, big destinies, secret monster-hunting societies, crystal castles in the sky. There's a lot of basic D&D assumptions that don't fit very comfortably with this sort of story, and of course WotC would want to keep everything PG-rated, but the genre is massive.

Green Ronin's Blue Rose covered some of this ground. I think there was going to be a 5e version, not sure what happened to it. I was kinda hoping that SotDQ would lean into supporting the whole romance/destiny type story, because Dragonlance has always been very big on that, but (probably predictably) WotC leaned into the war story side of things instead.
workable but needs more to bulk it up.
would also help if I could see the elements processed down to the lowest point to help with building.

fuindordm

Adventurer
It's not really a genre, but one game design element that I haven't seen much since Palladium and Rifts is support for combat on many different scales, like person / animal vs giant robot / kaiju. I would be interested in a game that proposed good mechanics for crossing between different technology levels and combat scales, and an interesting campaign setting that promotes using these mechanics.

Weiley31

Legend

Blue Rose 5E has actually been out for quite awhile.

The Glen

Legend
Red Steel. Everybody has a super power, curse and mutation that you can only keep at bay with a magical metal that you have to replace. And everything is Iberian themed.

Attachments

• images (7).jpeg
    images (7).jpeg
    10.5 KB · Views: 39

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
There was also Monsterhearts and its queer-centric spinoff Advanced Lovers & Lesbians.

Might be easier to list the existing inspirations so we can see what's missing:
Epic fantasy: Dragonlance
High fantasy: Forgotten realms
Urban fantasy (Leiber): Lankhmar
Arabian: Al-Qadim
East Asian: OA
Japan: Rokugan
Scifi/???: Spelljammer (they seemed genuinely creative with this one)
Post-apocalyptic/Dune/Barsoom: Dark Sun
Gothic horror: Ravenloft
Victorian/steampunk/???:planescape (focuses on the planes, again I thought they put a lot of real creativity into this one)
Pulp/steampunk: Eberron
Pirates: Red Steel
Tarzan?: Jakandor

There's no real Lovecraftian setting, because Call of Cthulhu nabbed that (though Sandy Petersen made a nice go of it), and sci-fi tends to be underrepresented because the rules don't really work that well.

Entirely in the afterlife. You could have characters moving between different afterlifes, incapable of dying, but defeat is very real. Sent on quests by the gods for glory or as payment for eternity in their divine realms.

Piggy-backing on the idea of finding your way home; shows like Stargate Universe, Sliders, and Star Trek Voyager have a wealth of ideas to draw from. A setting all about a single journey across strange and expansive worlds with variable paths, shortcuts, and setbacks sounds fun to me.

A junk-world. Sakaar from Thor Ragnarok being a sci-fi example of this. What is life like in a world full of the trash from other worlds? Is more junk coming in or is this a trash world that has been left behind?

Maybe add Mythical Middle Ages ala Ars Magica to the list.

What about Historical Fantasy, that takes real history as a basis for the campaign?

Or, Alien Fantasy, where humans and even hominins like elves and dwarves don't exist?

Or, one of my favorites, Anthropomorphic Animal Fantasy, ala Redwall and the Secret of Nimh.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases