• Epic Table

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • D20Pro

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • Other (care to tell?)

Votes: 10 18.9%

• Poll closed .
iTabletop.

It has its issues, and hasn't had much support lately, but it does the best job at what it claims to do: recreating an in-person around the table style. I don't want system-specific rules, I don't want macros and all that. I just want video chat with adjustable volume for each participant, a virtual "table top" where I can draw, place and move elements. I want the ability to play music and distribute other media. And I want it to work relatively intuitively. iTabletop isn't quite there yet, but they are the closest that I've found so far.

Agamon

Adventurer
I've used FG, and messed around a bit with MT. But Roll20 is hands-down the best for my needs. Very intuitive for both the GM and players, connection is easy, creating macros, finding minis and maps, the on-board voice and video. Playing online was always frustrating and the game always ended up failing before Roll20, but we're playing our 20th session next week and everyone is having fun playing the game, just as we would around the table, without having to worry about the VTT itself.

Tom Strickland

First Post
I selected d20Pro because that is what I happen to use. I have briefly tried some of the other fine tools, and I explain below why I ended up continuing to use d20Pro after sampling the capabilities of several free and proprietary tools.

With the advent of 3E, I started using DMGenie when a friend mentioned it because of:

- Electronic character sheet with the ability to create weapons, armor, etc. (builders), add mundane and magic items (had weights, costs, charges)

- Combat effect tracking including extensive mundane, magical, situational effects and durations

- Ability to apply modified attacks against modified defenses for PC's, NPC's, monsters, etc.

- Campaign manager with hyper-linked text and maps, including links to...groups of monsters, treasure, etc.

- Electronic reference capability for searchable text of skills, feats, powers, spells, etc.

- Calculators for generating new PC's and creatures, leveling/advancing, templating, random treasure with adjustable frequencies of types

- Scripting of effects, feats, etc.

- Creation of custom content; import/export of individual and mass "things"

- Time tracking (custom periods/months); weather generation based on climate, etc. and changing as you advanced the timer

I mention this list of capabilities because I do like rules, and simulation. I have DM'd 1E and 2E, and with the availability of computerized game aids, I jumped at the (to me) more consistent organization of game elements in 3E. This tool helped manage that.

Having said that, one thing that bogged down was continually cross-referencing during actual game sessions when players were attacking and damaging monsters, and vice versa, because there was no adequate tactical overview map to represent creatures, structures, and items as tokens. We used dwarven tiles and miniatures, and I needed to effectively indicate what creatures were in what states of disrepair. Custom circular cardboard counters set under the miniature bases helped for effects, but damage took more time.

Gaming with new players in the group who mentioned modern VTT initiatives and approaches spurred me to consider a way to streamline more. But to be clear, another one of the newer players much preferred physical dice and was not sold on the VTT experience despite being a very avid WoW'er. I looked at VTT's and bought a projector to beam color gridded maps onto the table where miniatures could still be moved. That was short-lived.

We transitioned to completely VTT play, whether at the table in a LAN configuration, or remote--including hybrid for some members concurrently.

So I briefly tried some other very fine VTT's. The reason I started dinking around with d20Pro and ended up using it extensively included these reasons:

I was doing something within minutes the first time. I opened a gridded map. I pulled some characters and a monster onto it. I right-clicked with a PC and chose a weapon attack. A circle with a line from the character let me drag it to the monster. The attack roll was high enough to overcome its AC. There was a thwack sound, a grunt, and some red moved up the 2D counter pic.

So this ability to show damage in multi-opponent combats (and effects, etc.) was a huge time-saver. Everybody not only knew where everything was positioned, but they could make more effective tactical decisions quicker. There were templates that auto-applied damage and auto-rolled saving throws.

So in a group that likes larger combats, things sped up dramatically.

I like that the DM can tweak to a fine level of detail the exact attacks available, the damage types (incl. energy) and so on. Such can be resisted by damage and energy resistances (partial or full) and combinations. Abilities can do many things including modifying stats and skills by types (luck, morale, enhancement, etc.), heal or damage, with saves, and so on.

Things I would like improved include automatically changing spell and ability effects such as when leveling, or other types of modifiers due to other spells or putting on/removing magic items.

In summary: I like complex, organized factors that allow for tactical combat simulation for a 2D/3D turn-based representation. I want the factors to be initially available as building blocks, and to have any effort spent re-usable. (Once you configure a monster, you can just drop one in later, again and again, with the necessary attacks and abilities configured).

I want the virtual tabletop situations both in-combat and out-of-combat simulation to flow. Each player moves their character(s) around, controls NPC's (animal comp., familiar, summoned). They advance toward pictures of buildings, cave entrances, pools...whatever. There are other counters that might be hidden which suddenly appear (aside from fog of war, etc.). [Oh yeah, using tiles is awesome, but it is difficult to represent large scale areas, or switch back and forth, etc. Virtual maps very much allow for those capabilities. Because you can zoom in and out and set the grid size when importing a map, you can create adventure maps representing hundreds of feet for long-range simulations.]

This tool allows for those things. There are various windows that can be moved around and stacked. On my dual-monitor setup, I fill 1.5 screens and position the initiative roster, the tools, the library, the random die roller, and the log around and move and resize the map in the center. The graphic map is the focus of my attention and is often the largest thing before me, in full color, with the players and other creatures available.

Streamlining the simulation aspects allows me to more often provide narrative elements, challenges, and other non-combat options during the hours-long game sessions.

Other DM's and players will of course run the gamut in preferences for e-tools (if any), how much automatic calc'ing is allowed (more like a CRPG), etc. This is my experience, and I like it. None of my new or veteran friends/players have uttered a single complaint, though we agree there are things that could be improved.

Maptool.

We also used a bit of Roll20, and might have to do so again today, but I am not convinced by it, to be honest. Maybe it's just how accustomed I've gotten to MapTools and my own set of tokens.

I am using Maptool. That's the program that fulfills most of what I need out of a VT. (except the fog tool and I are at war most of the times)

They don't call it Fog of War for nothing!

Balesir

Adventurer
I have used Battlegrounds RPG edition in the past for 3.5E D&D and Screenmonkey for Hârn, but currently all my RPGing is face-to-face. Have been looking at RollD20 and might well try that soon to link up with friends in the US.

Full Bleed

Explorer
For me it's Maptool for the VTT, Oovoo for Video Conferencing, and MorphVox Pro for sound effects and Voice Manipulation. Morphvox is the only thing that cost me anything.

I admit that MT has the largest learning curve for connectivity and installation (easy now, though it can trip up a new user). But once you really start using it and playing around with its powerful macroscript language the sky is the limit. The individual player views/vision/lighting (you see what your token sees, not what everyone sees), extremely powerful tokens, and macros have pretty much sealed it as the VTT I'm likely to use for a very long time.

The framework I use to run my Pathfinder game has grown organically over the years and it has allowed me to really customize our gaming experience. I've been able to add a lot of house rules like Weapon Speed Factors (a dagger should be faster that a greatsword!), Variable Round by Round Initiative, Options for Players to choose to roll their own dice at home on the fly, a Dice Karma mod that tracks d20 rolls so players can see how they've been rolling (average/median/mode), targeting that will take height into consideration, and on and on. Sure, it's many little things, but if I'm going to be using a VTT I want it to help me do things that I can't really do at the table very easily. Helping me do what I do at the table in a face-2-face game is the easy part for most VTTs. Helping me do things that I can't is where the real dividends are paid.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts." :)

Xaelvaen

Stuck in the 90s
Maptool hands down. My group loves diversity, from fistfuls of d10s to the d20, to 3d6 and others, its the only VTT that is 100% adaptable, even to the Homebrewed mechanics I build for our groups on occasion. Not to mention, I use the VTT for face to face games via projo - having to be constantly online just to use a tool is a massive off-switch for anything I'd ever use.

PrismaticYawn

First Post
Maptool. It's like an ocean. Swim in the kid's beach if all you want to do is push tokens around. Or get serious and do some deep sea diving and use all the features. It has depth and you may need some scuba training to get there, but it's worth it.

wolph42

First Post
Maptool by a long shot. I play warhammer 40k rpg and it's quite a complex system. Maptool allowed me to build a fully customizable framework which greatly supports the game.
If you really want to make a deep dive in the vtt world then Maptool is the only software out there that can go the distance.

Remove ads