D&D General What term or rule really confused you, when you first started playing?

Bolares

Hero
Oh that's interesting. I know that WOTC is releasing the 5E rules in lots of different languages. I wonder if they'll change feet to meters or something? Or do they just change the text from english to spanish and everyone's stuck learning imperial units?
Yeah they will change back to metric... but the releases are taking A LONG TIME with 5e... Basically have the 3 main books and some adventures translated. Eberron for an example was never translated to portuguese (or at least brazillian portuguese) before.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
It wasn't a question of terms that confounded me, the 6 repeated 20s on the attack tables made me go "Bwuh?"

Fanaelialae

Legend
The first time a friend of mine played a cleric, he encountered some goblins and said, "I want to turn undead."

I responded, "The goblins aren't undead."

He said, "I don't care. I want to turn undead."

To which I responded, "But there are no undead for you to turn!"

"Huh? What are you talking about. I just want to turn undead."

This went on for another minute or two before we figured out that he thought turn undead allowed the cleric to turn into an undead creature.

I didn't understand how attacking and negative AC worked. I couldn't put the pieces of the puzzle together. Luckily I met a guy who knew how to play D&D.

What term or rule really confused you, when you first started playing?
I actually managed to reach negative AC in 3rd edition. Raging barbarian, 8 Dexterity, take a potion of enlarge person, and use the feat that let me apply my power attack penalty to AC instead of attack bonus, then charge. I think I got down to AC -3 at 5th level.

Remove ads