D&D 5E What to do about Hypnotic Pattern?

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
The groups I DM for always have someone with hypnotic pattern, as soon as they're high enough level to take the spell. This is because one particular player has learned how good it is and therefore always takes it. Always. No exceptions. And if that PC runs out of spell slots to cast it, they'll rest instead of fighting without it.

I've spread out the baddies so that they can't all be caught with one spell.

I've given the baddies magic resistance.

I've had the baddies use their turns to wake each other up.

None of them seem to prevent the fights from becoming predictable, at least where hypnotic pattern is concerned. I really hate that bit at the end when the whole party is whaling on the one poor leftover who was looking at the pretty lights while his buddies got slaughtered.

Does anyone have suggestions for any other way to deal with the spell?

Conjures Hypnotic Pattern from the days of old.
"Creates a pattern in front of the Illusionist that will hold any it catches motionless, staring at it. It catches 4d6 1st level types, 3d6 2nd level types, 2d6 3rd or 4th level types, 1d6 5th or 6th level types. The effect lasts as long as the Illusionist concentrates, plus 1d6+3 turns afterwards."

Looks like it had a CR limit once upon a time.

Shiroiken

Legend
And if that PC runs out of spell slots to cast it, they'll rest instead of fighting without it.
This is your real issue. While currently the problem is Hypnotic Pattern, the same issue could easily be Fireball or any other spell/ability. You should look into the 5MWD issue for solutions.

As for Hypnotic Pattern, it's a very strong spell, but it's not the end all, be all. Unless very high level, statistically a few targets should save. Creatures immune to Charm are immune. Allies in the area are affected. As for once the rest of the enemies are defeated I just skip to the end of combat, unless an affected target is particularly powerful, since it'll only end with the party taken maybe 1-2 more hits per charmed creature on average.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Hypnotic pattern imposes the charmed condition, so start throwing in a greater % of monsters immune to charm.

Golems, other constructs (Mordenkainen's tomb of Foes has some fun ones), many undead (banshees and bodaks are fun).

If you have D&D beyond, filter by monsters immune to charm and go nuts.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
This is your real issue. While currently the problem is Hypnotic Pattern, the same issue could easily be Fireball or any other spell/ability. You should look into the 5MWD issue for solutions.
Yeah, I know. And I've got some techniques for dealing with that. My main point about mentioning the rests was just that every. single. fight this group engages in is likely to feature hypnotic pattern.

How often do the PCs go up against enemy spellcasters with counterspell?
Not that many, I admit--partly because I hate running them.

MiraMels

Explorer
Folk have already mentioned fielding baddies that are immune to charm.

I'd also recommend fielding baddies that don't use sight to perceive the world (you have to see the pattern to be affected by it), or structuring combat environments such that not every baddie fits in a 30 foot cube, or simply by running fights with more numerous, weaker baddies.

Remove ads