What to do for D&D in Hobby Convention ?

Dragon Snack

First Post
Where is the convention going to be?

Some companies have teams that run events at cons (WotC has "Delegates"), maybe one has a team member close enough to help out.

Alternately, since you are willing to run this, you could look into joining yourself - although I have no idea what WotC expects out of a "Delegate" or gives them for support. A quick search turns up this link: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=retailer/support/delegate

It's more of a review of the Delegate program for retailers, but it has an email address for applying to become one...

FATDRAGONGAMES

First Post
You might want to consider downloading the free quickstart rules for Castles & Crusades. It is a rules-lite d20 fantasy game that really captures the feel of original AD&D. Character creation takes about 5 minutes and combat is very fast paced. You can get the free rules at www.trolllord.com

questing gm

First Post
The convention is held in a shopping mall for two days. I had an idea of instead of running a demo game on the spot, I would be handing out flyers with basic info about the game and what is roleplaying all about. Then I could provide a contact number for interested people to have a private introductory session with them on a seperate date.

How's that ?

Last edited:

Dragon Snack

First Post
My gut instinct tells me they will take the info and forget about it after they get to the next booth (I've run demos at Cons before). My cynical side says that the only ones that call you will fill at least 2 out of 3 negative gamer stereotypes. The decent ones will take your info, fold it up in their back pocket, then wash their pants...

But don't let me discourage you.

While I don't think that is an ideal situation, I would be hard pressed to come up with a better plan. Even running a demo game would be very hard in a shopping mall setting, since the majority of people there will not be there for the convention.

I think experience will be your best teacher, once you know what you are getting into you can figure out what works best. You can start with the handouts, but have something short prepared if someone expresses interest.

From my experience running demos, a crowd draws a crowd. If you have someone doing something more people will be interested in doing whatever it is. If nobody is doing anything, nobody will want to check out what you are doing.

Boss

First Post
I agree with Kaladhan, your best bet to give a feel of the game is like what Paizo does at cons now. Set up a small dungeon with prepackaged adventurers, etc. Make sure there are multiple directions the party can go in, and give them a real-time time limit to get as far as they can. Then do a short Q&A (no more than 5 minutes) and hand out info sheets. This gives anyone coming by a chance to try the game and get further information. Paizo goes further to offer a chance at prizes, but I don't see that as being something you would really want to do.

I know I had fun at Origins playing their quick game.

LostSoul

Adventurer
It sounds like you don't have much time to keep people occupied. I'd do something like 15-minute "scenarios", and have a bunch of them. Pre-generated characters, sticking close to familiar fantasy tropes - surly dwarf fighter, elven archer, etc.

Hand out the characters by showing them the minis. Give them their stats on an index card. Keep the feats and options simple. Fireball, magic missile, cleave, rapid shot. Maybe put a little bit of complexity in there for savvy players to pick up on.

Once the characters have been picked, pull out the battle mat. Put down the minis, then jump right into the scenario:

"Okay, you guys are in the dungeon of doom, looking for the gem of eternal power. You've fought your way through hordes of evil monsters, and you've found the gem! There it sits on the pedestal! What do you do?"

For opponents, use things that are tough enough to provide a challenge, but not too tough. No save-or-dies. Use things with low ACs - nothing's more boring than doing nothing but missing on your turn. Killing PCs is fine, just don't kill one off early.

At the end of the scenario, make sure it leads into something else just as exciting:

"You've made your way past the traps, defeated the zombie hordes and their necromancer leader, and have finally taken hold of the gem of eternal power. And that's when you see the dragon poke his head into the room: 'Foolish mortals, only I can use the power you now hold!'"

I'm sure you can come up with better scenarios, but you get the point. Something that drops the PCs right into the action.

Zander

Explorer
I second everything said by LostSoul above.

In addition, I would have fixed gaming times with a sign on the table saying when these will be, e.g. "Dungeons & Dragons demo games at 11.00am, 12.00 noon, 1.30pm, 2.30pm, 3.30pm and 4.30pm." You could include some fluff at the top of the sign, e.g.:

"Dungeons & Dragons: The game where YOU'RE the hero! Step into a magical Lord of the Rings-like world and play a quick elf, surly dwarf or cunning wizard. Can you defeat the evil dragon and save the kingdom?

No experience of Dungeons & Dragons required. All are welcome!"

Ensure that none of the characters get killed - but don't tell the players that. Players like to be challenged but no one enjoys having their character die. As already suggested, use pre-gens. Have more than enough copies of each pre-gen and invite players to keep the character record sheet of their character after the game, thereby giving them a souvenir.

questing gm

First Post
Thanks for the great ideas, Zander and Lostsoul. I got myself a lucky break when I spoke to the retailer that sells Magic in town today. Guess what, he had an opened pack of D&D miniatures actually sitting in his shop and was glad that it could come of use. He has offered me to use them and the miniature map that came with it.

Also, the Magic guy is also selling the Basic Box Set (it is the one with the softcover PHB right?), so I was thinking of getting a box to run for the demo. The demo schedule is a great idea which gives me time to actually run with the new/interested players through a short adventure. While those who didn't get a chance to play and stand around to observe the game, which still gives them an opportunity to learn how the game works.

For the adventure, I'm looking at the Dark and Stormy Knight free adventure from the WoTC site. For each session, I'm thinking of switching the monsters (or maybe the whole adventure) so no one would recognize the game I'm running and gives a fresh feel for every session.

As for Hobo, we have cosplaying chicks from the cosplayers club and maybe I could talk to them to help me, especially those cosplaying as characters from fantasy animes. :p

Remove ads