• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What to do?

Morpheus

Exploring Ptolus
Here's the situation: We played Eberron for the first time last week and I really wanted to like it. I really, really did. But I don't. The only other time I felt this way was when I ran Midnight and I had the exact same feeling. :(

Here's the problem: We just got two new players into the group after teetering on the brink of dissolution. They liked Eberron and would like to continue. Problem #1: I don't like Eberron. Problem #2: One of the players can only game on Sunday (we normally play on Saturday) and since I have the furthest to travel, it's a real pain switching for me.

Question: What to do? Be specific...please

Morpheus

Exploring Ptolus
Nightfall said:
Simple. Quit. Get another group.

Two things wrong with that plan:

1) Good group sans newbies-the jury is still out on them;
2) Groups don't grow on trees around here. Heck, trees don't even grow
around here after all of the hurricanes.

So, this is not an option. Thanks, though...

Crothian

First Post
Well, then suck it up and just try to enjoy it and have fun. Your choices are rather limited, it might not be the ideal setting for you but you should be able to find a way to have fun.

Spatula

Explorer
Are you the DM or a player?
Why did the group almost dissolve prior to getting the new players?
What DO you like? What are the likes of the other players aside from the newbies & the DM (if it's not you)?

beeber

First Post
figure out what it is that you specifically dislike about eberron. then set the campaign in a different area of the setting that you can tweak to your satisfaction.

and if all else fails, then quit and wait for a new group to come around or make your own new group. i'd rather not game if i was stuck in a group (and/or setting) that didn't do it for me. just leads to unhappiness all around. :(

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
There's also the thought that a single session is perhaps not a proper test of the campaign setting as a whole. In one session, the first session, you see the DM present some small bits of it. And he's new at his presentation of the flavor. And it's a new group, with kinks to still be worked out.

One thought is to go through a few more sessions, and see if the things that bugged you..

1)Continue to exist and bug you.
2)Are really the fault of the setting.
3)Can be worked around without ruining everyone else's fun.

Morpheus

Exploring Ptolus
Spatula said:
Are you the DM or a player?
Why did the group almost dissolve prior to getting the new players?
What DO you like? What are the likes of the other players aside from the newbies & the DM (if it's not you)?

I am a player-most of the time I DM, though...
Lack of commitment by some of the players almost lead to our demise...
I like lower magic, grittier settings (Conan, IK, etc.)...
The person who is the DM now is also the most unreliable-What happens when he doesn't show?

Terwox

First Post
If the DM doesn't show up without warning, setup a secondary game that you can run and have fun with.
Give Eberron another shot -- you may still just be adjusting to being a player rather than a DM, although not necessarily.
Problem #2 sounds like there's little you can do about it, besides try to find a more geographical appropriate area, which may not work.
Another possibility is gaming on Sunday and Saturday, and you sit out the Sunday game, and the other guy sits out the Saturday game. Heck, you could even run a different campaign on Saturday, something more your style. See if that gets a go, unless your group is a diehard "only once a week" group of people... I'm somewhat heading that way myself.
G'luck, though.

Remove ads