What TTRPGs have the best tactical combat rules?

Reynard

Legend
Pretty much what is on the tin. What games that are meant to be RPGs (with all that implies) have the best rules for tactical combat?

Obviously, this is going to be somewhat subjective, but I want to be clear that I am referring specifically to tactical rules, where positioning and choices matter. It doesn't have to be grids and minis, but it still has to be tactical (independent of whether there are narrative elements at play).

So in your opinion, what TTRPG has the best tactical combat rules?

Reynard

Legend
D&D in every edition is for me the gold standard here. The problems for D&D have almost always been what it does when it isn't doing rules for small scale tactical skirmish wargame.
Interesting. I don't think most editions of D&D have done tactical combat particularly well, except maybe 3.x and 4E. 5E lacks options and isn't particularly satisfying. Since I was primarily a BECMI and 2E player during the 80s and 90s, I don't associate TSR era D&D with "tactical play" at all.

Reynard

Legend
For my part, I really like Savage Worlds as lighter but still satisfying tactical game, and am enjoying learning Pathfinder2E(R) which has the best "D&D like" combat I have encountered. I remember Cyberpunk 2020 Friday Night Firefight rules being tactically enjoyable without having to do the minis and grid thing, but it has been a long time since I have played it.

Celebrim

Legend
5E lacks options and isn't particularly satisfying.

Ok, to be fair I haven't played 5e.

Since I was primarily a BECMI and 2E player during the 80s and 90s, I don't associate TSR era D&D with "tactical play" at all.

Depends on whether you play theater of mind or use a battle map, and how much of a stickler for the rules you are. Even BECMI with its lightweight rules can be rather fun if you adhere strictly to the turn order and do things like secret simultaneous declaration. The thing about TSR era D&D is most people didn't care to play by the rules, much less have a battle map around.

What games that are meant to be RPGs (with all that implies) have the best rules for tactical combat?
My metric for that is based on how much fun the combat rules are to play by themselves, with the RP side of things minimized. I'm not particularly concerned with realism or simulation value or such things, nor is balance between PC effectiveness a consideration here.

Going by that, I rate the DAMMIT, SNIPED! Lancer rules set from Massif very highly, as it's become my go-to mecha combat game, edging out Mekton Zeta, various Dream Pod 9 offerings and Battletech/Mechwarrior by a fair margin. If you've only used the game for roleplay, try taking a couple of small (3-4 mechs) teams each with however many License Levels you like (more takes longer, obviously) and playing it out on grid map or as a minis game sometime. Works surprisingly well for something that was designed to battle NPCs with their rather different rules.

Unsurprisingly, I'm also a fan of D&D 4e (late era, when the math fix was in) and ORCUS, although 13th Age doesn't quite come up to snuff - but it's much stronger as an RPG IMO, so there's that. Takes more effort to set up a scenario as game-unto-itself than Lancer, though.

For something simpler but with fewer meaningful choices, The Fantasy Trip is a nostalgic favorite for me, although I'd be even happier with something that fell between TFT and GURPS. Melee and Wizard do all the work of paring out the RPG bits for you, and you can crib scenario ideas from the solo modules, so that's nice.

I know a few people who still swear by SPI's ancient DragonQuest RPG, which had its own combat board game box released as Arena of Blood. Not sure I get the appeal personally, but it still has enough fans it merits mentioning, at least. It's a product of its era and a bit clunky even for that, but it works okay for gladiator fights.

Come to think of it, Savage Worlds definitely deserve to be on the list too. I'll still happily play Great Rail Wars (a dedicated Deadlands-setting minis game that's pretty much proto-SW) any chance I can, and the combat rules only got better from there.

Last edited:

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
I take tactical to mean in combat positioning, ability application, teamwork requirement, etc...
Hmm. In my totally unbiased opinion, the best, bar none, is Modos RPG.* Because it has:

• Positioning options for close, ranged, mounted, flying, and flanking characters. But no grid, so you're never one square short of your awesome move.
  • Teamwork does one major thing that also applies in real life: it gives a significant advantage to the more numerous force. And a general "difficulty bonus" makes a lot of ideas possible.
  • Weapon size matters. A two-hander does more damage but prevents using a shield or an off-hand dagger that can be thrown if needed.
  • Armor size matters. Heavier armor reduces the severity of your hits, but limits what you can do physically. Shields provide significant bonuses to blocks, but you can't attack if you're blocking.
  • Combat actions can happen as reactions or as an aggressive push during your turn. Or you can skip your turn to attempt to seize the initiative.
  • Ability application: I have no idea what this means. 🤓

*Okay, I might be a little biased about a game I wrote and have been playing for years now. And barring none means that a LOT of other good games probably better deserve the "best" title! But Modos RPG benefits from rules modules as well...

My first thought is D&D 3.x, but I know a lot of people would argue 4e.

It's been a while since I played actual games in these systems, but I believe GURPS and the Star Wars d6 systems could be very tactical. But both would be dependent on the GM and players to focus on the tactical aspects.

Remove ads