D&D General What wastes time at your table?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I don't know if it really "wastes" time - but about every other session there is a point where some rule comes up we have not dealt with yet or often but that seems like it might - so I insist on looking it up - but the 5E PHB index is SO FRIGGIN' TERRIBLE I struggle to find it. Seriously, I get mad whenever I look at that index.
Back in 2015, @copperdogma rewrote the PHB Index. GitHub - copperdogma/dnd-phb-5e-index: Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition Revised Index

They've done a bunch of new indexes now. May this help you.

turnip_farmer

Adventurer
I don't know if it really "wastes" time - but about every other session there is a point where some rule comes up we have not dealt with yet or often but that seems like it might - so I insist on looking it up - but the 5E PHB index is SO FRIGGIN' TERRIBLE I struggle to find it. Seriously, I get mad whenever I look at that index.
My little convention for these situations is never to open the rulebook. Make up whatever rule sounds reasonable. Getting a rule wrong is always better than pausing the game to look it up (I would make an exception if this ruling determined whether a character died, or something).

After the session you can look it up, and then tell your players that you got it wrong and how they should expect it to work in future. Or that the rulebook is stupid and your sticking with your ruling for future.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
In the game I'm just starting up, I've got one guy who's been really quiet. I'll try to remember this to get him more engaged. He's new to the game, as is his GF.
I've got a list of characters to call on:

Investigates Traps: Rogue
First in Marching Order: Barbarian
Opens Doors: Warlock (with Thaumaturgy)
Usually Speaks First: Warlock
Etc.

That way I can say "Barbarian, where are you leading the group next?" when there's a long pause.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
My little convention for these situations is never to open the rulebook. Make up whatever rule sounds reasonable. Getting a rule wrong is always better than pausing the game to look it up (I would make an exception if this ruling determined whether a character died, or something).

After the session you can look it up, and then tell your players that you got it wrong and how they should expect it to work in future. Or that the rulebook is stupid and your sticking with your ruling for future.
In combat we call it "Blitz Combat." Don't look up rules, we will make it up if we don't know then look it up later!

We usually pay for our mistakes with Inspiration. If a player gets a rule wrong in a way that's advantageous to the player, the DM gets inspiration. If the DM gets a rule wrong that's advantageous to the DM, the player whose character suffered gets inspiration.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Before I make a poll on a topic, I should make sure it's complete.

What do you see happen at your D&D/RPG table that wastes time and slows down the game? I'm not talking about things that are part of the fun experience like everyone rabbit-trailing onto Monty Python jokes for 5 minutes... unless that's actually something your table prefers not to do.

What I've seen to start us off:
1) People being late. Ugh.
2) Repeated "Oh, it's my turn. I'll start finding my dice now."
3) Rolling dice and then having to cross-reference to character sheet to see what to add to give the total.
4) Looking up the details of what spells do while people wait. I'm the DM and I sometimes do this...but I have to pay attention during everyone's turns and the last fight had 5 enemy casters + 2 summons. I still feel bad about it.
Number 4 is a big one. Another is just talk. We're a bunch of friends who don't see each other that much outside of the game, so in the middle of the session someone might ask a small question or makes a simple statement about something that sometimes turns into a 5 minute delay as everyone(including me) jumps in to talk about it.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Late start, as others have mentioned.

"That one player" who takes forever on their action in combat. Be it because trhey don't know their character, need to look up spells, need to rework the math for every single attack and damage roll, whatever.

One of the people I play with regularly finds in-character debate on what to do next to be a waste of time - and groups do hit paralysis because there are two strong competing opinions. But usually because he has a strong opinion and someone else will have a different opinion - not always the same other person. And the rest of the part is like "I'm fine either way". If the rest of the party would pick a side it would be quick.

Oh, and in a 1920s pulp Call of Cthulhu game it's too many clues and not sure which to investigate next so we talk out for a while what's easily reachable and will help us answer questions we have.

But generally the groups I'm in/run for move pretty well now.

TheAlkaizer

Game Designer
Looking up the details of what spells do while people wait. I'm the DM and I sometimes do this...but I have to pay attention during everyone's turns and the last fight had 5 enemy casters + 2 summons. I still feel bad about it.
This is the big one for me. My current group are not very TTRPG-literate and so I'm taking much of the burden of knowing and interpreting rules. But for example, last session one of my player who had shopped said he was throwing a gas grenade (playing Starfinder). I didn't know he had bought one and had to look the rules. The rules for grenades are pretty messy in Starfinder, they're all over the place, the book poor editing did not help. It look us like 5 minutes to understand how it worked. Five minutes is a long time at the start of an encounter.

Retreater

Legend
Players trying to decide on their "third action" - in 5e it's trying to figure out a bonus action, in PF2 it's trying to see about to do a third attack, demoralize, etc.

Hanging out and small talk before the game - which is an important part of the socialization but takes away from game time.

Looking up spells or other character abilities. Also rules checking.

Deciding what to do. (Sometimes players don't want to make a choice.)

Players who aren't paying attention, forget their characters' names. ("It's Ragnar's turn. What's Ragnar doing? Jim! Jim, what are you doing on your turn?" "Sorry, I forgot I was Ragnar.")

I slash him with my sword. I roll 12. I have a +7 attack bonus. That's... 16? Looks around, see other players making no with their head... Err.... that's... 19. I hit. Rolls his 3d6+5 damage. 4 and 5 that's.... 9 sighs all around and 3 so it's... 27, plus 5, that's 32. Other players interjects no, that's 17. Ah? Looks confused, concentrate on the three dice. Oh, yes, you're right, that's 17, sorry. Me: next player. Err, sorry, after rolling damage I can choose to add a maneuver dice... I decide that... rolls again...

My fights tend to last never more than 3 rounds, and one hour.

Remove ads