• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What were early gaming clubs like?

I started gaming in the mid 70's with D&D but our informal "club" played a lot of other games as well. Lots of boardgames (old and new), a little bit of micro-armor, other RPGs (mostly sci fi oriented though, like Traveller and Space Opera, and I myself eventually ran a fair amount of d6 Star Wars). We played every Saturday almost all day and would often take a break for food and a few hours of videogames.

It's because we were open to playing more than just D&D that we were more of a club, though we didn't think of ourselves that way. And we were from several different schools and even fairly far apart in the city so it was our mutual interest in games (though overwhelmingly D&D) that brought us together as a group.

My understanding of older, and/or more formal groups is that they weren't all that different and that's why there's not a lot of recorded historical information about them - they ddin't keep many formal records or memorialize what they were doing. They were just a bunch of guys like us who'd get together every week to play wargames of various kinds. The only reason we really consider them any different is that some of them went so far as to create new games entirely and publish the rules for them either informally through their club or more formally as a retail product for the emerging gaming-hobby market.

Vegepygmy

First Post
What were early gaming clubs like?
I started gaming around 1977, but I knew of no formal or organized groups in my area that one might call a "club." I was just a schoolboy, and played with other schoolboys, some of whom eventually became my preferred group. We played in each other's homes, and sometimes during lunch at school, and we were strictly RPG, though I did play other wargames with my brothers.

It was not uncommon for players in those days to move from one campaign to another, keeping the same character. Often there were arguments about whether magic items acquired from one DM could be used in a second DM's campaign, usually stemming from suspicion that the first DM had been overly generous with loot (or that the player was simply lying about what he'd earned).

There was no sense of competition, exactly. But the Tomb of Horrors was recognized as the "hardest" dungeon to survive, and some people did try to boast of having done so. No one I knew believed any of them, though. Aside from that, being "skilled" to us meant that you actually role-played a character with a personality, rather than any mastery of the game's rules.

I hope that's helpful/interesting to you.

Saracenus

Always In School Gamer
Здравствуйте!

Well there is the extent of my Russian from high school in the 80s.

My personal experience with game clubs in Portland, Oregon are the following starting in the late 70's:

• Middle School (6th-8th grades): Our chess club became an informal role-playing club. We met at school during breaks or snuck off campus to a friends house nearby. Played a ton of different games.
  • High School (9th-12th grades): No formal club, but a group of us met on weekends to play.
  • Oregon Western Wargamers: This was the first formal game club I played with. Mostly made up of miniature wargamers that also played boardgames and role-playing games. They still have their own building and membership dues.
  • College: Informal groups, no official status.
  • TSR/WotC - RPGA Clubs: These were officially recognized clubs affiliated with TSR/WotC's organized play program. These were associated with stores, schools, and conventions that encouraged public play. This program was killed in late 90's when the internet allowed reporting and delivery of these programs and the emphasis moved from public to private home play.
  • Guardian Games/Guardians of the Gameday: Two years ago I formed a club at my local store Guardian Games to promote organized public play of D&D (which wasn't really getting a lot of play at the time.
    I modeled it after the old RPGA clubs but used the internet to support and advertize it. There isn't as much formal structure, its more of a collective effort by my DMs and myself. I am grooming 2 people to replace me.
    Currently Guardians of the Gameday run 8 tables of D&D Encounters and just started Lair Assault. We are looking to bring Living Forgotten Realms back to Portland.
My two coppers,

Steel_Wind

Legend
That depends on how "early" is "early".

The Wargames Club Era - 1965-1975

In the 70s, D&D grew out of the wargaming hobby. The wargame clubs in the 60s became the wargame clubs of the 70s. There was no difference between the two up until about 1975/76.

Wargames clubs were largely people who knew one another through meeting by accident and informally at the few stores in town where such games were sold. Sometimes there was a bulletin board or a small little handwritten or (less often) typed flyer that was taped to the shelf where the games were sold in the store.

Later, the owners of the stores would keep a running list of people's names and phone numbers on hand to give to other customers so that they could know who to call to play these Avalon Hill bookcase games with. Diplomacy was a biggie. Some came to know one another through zines and local "conventions".

That's the environment into which D&D was initially born and so that's the model that prevailed throughout most of the mid-70s. Very, very few stores had any play space ("organized" or otherwise) and very few attempted to. But there were groups of people who knew one another in town and obtained each other names and phone numbers through the stores. They would usually meet in somebody's basement to game on the weekends or whatever. Once or twice a year they might run a game day or "convention" in somebody's basement, a church hall or University Student Union building. Sometimes they would drive a few hundred miles or more for a "big" gathering of 50-100 or so like-minded hobbyists. This sort of organization happened organically and was tracked with paper, pens, rolodexes and notebooks with people's names, telephone numbers and addresses in them.

Connections between regions happened because somebody moved, or knew-a-guy-who-knew-a-guy -- and the names would be exchanged over time. A low-tech Linked-in or Facebook arrangement, essentially.

Instrumental in starting up regional conventions and networking across the country were magazines, local zines and newsletters. The owners of those publications had the addresses of all who subscribed to it. This "central registry" of subscribers was an ABSOLUTELY KEY database of names back in the day. (In many ways, it is still key. Paizo didn't start Pathfinder from scratch. They had 100k+ e-mail addresses in their database after running Dungeon and Dragon magazine and a lot of goodwill from that, too.)

That's the exact model in which TSR was founded and the Lake Geneva Wargames/Strategy Club gave birth to D&D (several years after it gave birth to Gencon in Gary's basement). It was a loose model of organization that was present throughout most of the USA and Canada at the time.

Mass-Market Success - 1975-1985

A change occurred in the late 70s as D&D initially hit and, especially after the third printing of OD&D, the game had begun to percolate down to school-aged kids; consequently, the appeal of the game greatly broadened over a very short period of time.

Initially the wargames "clubs" which had developed simply swelled in size, but the age differences among players became problematic for many. Many of the wargamers of that era had played D&D for the first two or three years or so after it was released. Moreover, the grognards also liked their AH and SPI strategy games too and still wanted to play them. The new players who were drawn in by D&D didn't share much of the wargaming tradition with the grognards of the day -- except maybe a mutual enjoyment of RISK. This contributed to some estrangement between the emerging groups (many co-existed happily, too).

This caused a parallel club development as D&D now broadened and began to be played within a teenage kid's social circles, at school clubs and at universities, too.

By the time of the Blue Box and AD&D -- (and the notoriety and HUGE PR blitz that the disappearance of James Dallas Egbert III provided to the game), D&D had completely overwhelmed most of the wargames clubs which gave birth to it. The wargamers of the time soon found themselves on the outside of something which had been previously *their* hobby. They developed a bit of a chip on their shoulders over this -- a chip which remains QUITE FIRMLY STUCK THERE on the shoulders of many wargamers and boardgamers to this day, I might add. (Wargames and RPGs is the only TRUE "edition war" which persists in hobby games circles in real life terms -- and it remains a bit of a "great divide" to this day among many hobbyists.)

In terms of competition, the only thing I can really recall was whether or not somebody was deemed a "better" DM than others. Consequently, there was some competition to be invited to play with the "Great DMs" of the day and those campaigns felt more "exclusive". Or at least, we liked to pretend they did.

In general, no, there was no competition as such. The only real competition was the split between wargamers and role-players. There was a TINY group of wargamers that never tried D&D. There was a larger group who tried it, played it only occasionally and preferred counters and hexes. There was a group in the middle who played both, often. On the RPG side, there was a group who occasionally played wargames. On the far side was the largest group of all -- those who played RPGs and only RPGs.

Store Lists, School Clubs. PolyHedron and Dragon Magazine - 1985-1995

In the 80s the RPGA expanded the model of organization a bit, but it was not yet a primary point of "first contact". Organized play space in stores was still relatively rare at the time and the RPGA was very much still a convention phenomena in its initial stages. This increased over time, especially in the mid-90s to late 90s as M:TG took off and the Internet arrived in full force.

I credit Magic: The Gathering with being the true impetus for most stores to add play space in a BIG WAY around 1994-96, for the reason that it actually made them enough money to pay for the extra square footage to bother doing it. The stores that survived the "printer problems" of T$R's death spiral were the stores that sold a lot of Magic: The Gathering instead. The ones that did not sell a lot of M:TG did not survive at all - they went under ca. 1998.

The Internet and Organized Play - 1995 to Present

Fast-forward to today and the internet as an organizational tool changes the means of both locating and communicating with other gamers. In-store play has grown greatly as a means of attaching to a group initially, too.

And ENWorld has a role to play there as well, of course. I am sure there are HUNDREDS and probably THOUSANDS of gamers who attached to a group over the past decade by finding a group through ENWorld, either directly or indirectly.

Last edited:

Bluenose

Adventurer
RPGing emerged out of the wargaming fraternity; my impression is that the earliest RPG clubs were wargames clubs that added RPGing. Looking at Blackmoor/The First Fantasy Campaign, it was clearly seen as a competitive exercise among the players, initially they would even play opposing Good and Evil sides, like the opposing forces in a wargame.

That was certainly the case where I grew up in England. Our local wargames club met every two weeks, booking the upper floor of a pub. It was mostly figure gaming, but there were boardgamers and a few of us who played RPGs. I don't remember it ever being seen as competitive; in fact, the co-operative aspect was one of the things that interested people. Perhaps we'd played too many wargames competitions and wanted something different! When I went to university the RPG club seperated from the wargaming club the year I started, quite amicably, but there were simply too many people involved for the space we had available in the Union. It's also probably fair to say that most people I know/knew played more often with groups of friends at each other's homes as they did at any sort of club meeting. I'd also note that in my experience contact with other groups of players wasn't that uncommon. A lot of clubs had regular competitive wargames matches with other clubs, and there were quite a few conventions that attracted people from all over the country. At those you'd often find someone to talk to about their experiences with various games. This would be in the mid-70s/early 80s.

Katemare

First Post
Thank you very much, I've read all your replies with great interest! So, in the end, early RPG community was much like the present one: it was different. It consisted neither of dungeon crawlers nor pure role-players. Nice to know %) I often hear one or the other presumption from modern-day gamers. I even made them myself.

Also, the info about the origin of wargame/RPG holy war was new for me! We have it a lot in Russian community, too, even though there never were any RPG clubs in CIS area (only group-to-group contacts and occasional town meeting). I think the roots of it are that AD&D came to CIS first, and some time after came universal games like Fudge, Fuzion, GEM, and then story-centered games like World of Darkness. Almost historical order. So, (A)D&D is criticized as being "primitive", close to what RPGs were when they wasn't really developed yet. Well, I've read this kind of argues at EN World too, so you know the drill... (I, personally, like every style of gameplay! As long as the game is good.)

Ok, time to relay the discovered information to our guys %) Thanks again.

Glyfair

Explorer
That depends on how "early" is "early".

Good summary, Steel Wind.

A few comments based on my extended experience (i.e. adding experiences of gaming acquaintances of the time).

This caused a parallel club development as D&D now broadened and began to be played within a teenage kid's social circles, at school clubs and at universities, too.

Of all of your history I think the college experience of D&D is the most neglected. A friend of mine, who also was one of the two primary founders of the local gamings, first experienced D&D at University of Florida. A couple of gamers from Lake Geneva brought it there and taught it to him. He took it and brought it to the University of Delaware where we had enough roleplayers to have a decent sized D&D convention (about '79-'80).

In fact, a majority of the big gaming stores I saw in the '80s that survived were located in decent sized college towns.

Organized play space in stores was still relatively rare at the time and the RPGA was very much still a convention phenomena in its initial stages.
This was probably where we differ the most, but this may have been regionally. Most of the roleplaying stores I visited had some sort of in store play space (how "organized" it was varied, I admit) since the early 80s. I explored quite a few gaming stores here in the Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware and Pennsylvania and not having a gaming area was the exception rather than the rules.

[MENTION=53]Glyfair[/MENTION] - dead on about the college influence and even the ripples from that.
D&D started in Lake Geneva, WI - the major clubs were around the Chicago area of which the University of Illinois at Chicago (The Medical folks) was a part.

They caught the bug and moved it to U of I in Champaign/Urbana when the Illinois wargamers had their annual convention of University students. This in turn passed it n to the folks at Southern Illinois University in Carbondale - In a few short months D&D was played in every part of Illinois and it was due to the colleges.

The big thing is that the college kids taught their younger siblings and their friends which started the big "kids" movement (that's how I became a gamer). First to the High Schools and then to the grade schools within a few years. I was 8 when I first played back in 1978/79. So I got to witness it first hand.

Gaming clubs sprung up like weeds, every school and library had one until the BADD old days of gaming hit (being in the buckle of the bible belt pretty much sucked.) But as to the impact it had on Southern Illinois, Dave Trampier (the artist who did most of the 1st ed art) lives in Carbondale (even though he refuses to talk about it). And True Adventures (who run the True Dungeon event at GenCon) and Dwarven Forge are both HQ'd in Carbondale. So even with all the crap in the 80s it held firm and a lot of that had to do with the college gaming club that has met ever since 1976...

Ariosto

First Post
In the late '70s and early '80s in my Northern California town, there was a gathering on Saturdays in a building at the Junior College. There were also university clubs all over the country.

In Portland, Oregon, later in that decade, I found a club that rented rooms in a building. Back in California more recently, I have heard of (but not been to) a "mini convention" at the Community Center of a nearby town.

All of these in my experience included a mix of miniatures, board and role-playing games.

Thunderfoot said:
The big thing is that the college kids taught their younger siblings and their friends which started the big "kids" movement (that's how I became a gamer). First to the High Schools and then to the grade schools within a few years. I was 8 when I first played back in 1978/79. So I got to witness it first hand.
I was a couple of years older when I was introduced a couple of years earlier (having already played wargames including a grand-strategy SF campaign).

Lord Ipplepop

First Post
Our "club" was based- as so many others- out of our local store. The "dues" were simply $5 a day, and you could play all day in whatever game was available. There were a few tables in a back room, and it was not unusual to have one table playing D&D, another playing Gamma World, or Top Secret, or Space Opera/ Traveller/ Man, Myth, and Magic... whatever.
Very often, in a back hallway, or an non-busy corner of the store would be a Car Wars scene going, and you could always count on Ace of Aces going on over the counter or sitting outside or wherever the players could find a spot to hang out.

Remove ads