D&D (2024) What will D&D 6th edition be like?

Other idea is a free-to-play videogame, and the sourcebooks would be NFC miniatures, for collectors, but also to unlock PDFs as DLC. The advantage is if you buy the figure of monster X, you could get the PDF with the monster stats of all, previous and future, editions.

dave2008

Legend
The entire RPG market isn't that big, D&D is most of it but the only get a fraction of the revenue. I doubt they get much more than 10 million or so. Which is pocket change for Hasbro.
Where are you getting that number? Since we don't have any real data the little bit of research I just did suggests it should be at least double that and probably closer to 3x. Now, that is still a tiny amount compared to overall Hasbro revenue, so your point stands, but I was just curious.

dave2008

Legend
I've been thinking about it and I think 6th edition might pull away from the base-sub categories and might unify races and class into 3 parts instead of 2.

You see how warlocks are broken up into 3 parts.
  1. Warlock Class Features
  2. Patron Class Features
  3. Pact Class Features
I thing that all races and classes will broken up into 3 parts instead of 2. This allows for some of the features and cultures that don't have to be smashed together to be separated. It also fixes issues with character concepts coming online too late, balancing multiclassing, creating new versions for various worlds.

So I see 6th edition going
  1. Race- Dwarf
  2. Subrace- Surface
  3. Culture- Mountain
  4. Class- Cleric
  5. Subclass- Warpriest
  6. Specialization- Forge
6 for 6th.
This allows for DMs and players to imagine their worlds better. And it allows for WoTC to sell more books. You can drop Sea or Ice on an elf,a goblin, a giant, or a demon and quickly convert a PC, NPC, or monster. But you have to buy the Sea book. Or the PsuedoEgypt book. Or the MTG book.
I like the idea, not sure it will happen - but I like it!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Where are you getting that number? Since we don't have any real data the little bit of research I just did suggests it should be at least double that and probably closer to 3x. Now, that is still a tiny amount compared to overall Hasbro revenue, so your point stands, but I was just curious.
Here's what we know (as of 2017). D&D's gone up a bit both years since then.

RPG market is $45M in size. Hard to say what percentage of that is D&D, but if you take the online VTT stats (yeah, I know, but it's all we have) that's about 50% as of Q3 2019.

dave2008

Legend
I'd want a "tactical rules patch" more than a 6th Edition, though Pathfinder 2 does some unique things (3 action economy; I personally don't like the presentation of the classes and find class/subclass to be a great balance of character theme and character options).
That would be interesting, most of what they need is already available in some form (PHB or UA or variant / optional rules), they just need a bit more and some packaging. However, they would probably need a "tactical bestiary" or release some templates for tactical monsters.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Here's what we know (as of 2017). D&D's gone up a bit both years since then.

RPG market is $45M in size. Hard to say what percentage of that is D&D, but if you take the online VTT stats (yeah, I know, but it's all we have) that's about 50% as of Q3 2019.

According to ICv2 RPGs were $25 million in 2013 and $65 million in 2018. WotC has said that 2019 was D&D's best sales year (they said each year is better) so we can assume that number has gone up again.

I bet D&D 5e is a lot more popular among people playing face to face. How big is the online VTT market anyway? I wouldn't think it would be big enough to draw any conclusions from.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
According to ICv2 RPGs were $25 million in 2013 and $65 million in 2018. WotC has said that 2019 was D&D's best sales year (they said each year is better) so we can assume that number has gone up again.

I bet D&D 5e is a lot more popular among people playing face to face. How big is the online VTT market anyway? I wouldn't think it would be big enough to draw any conclusions from.
It’s a sample. Samples don’t need to be big to be statistically significant. The question isn’t the size of the VTT market (it’s definitely big enough for that) but whether it’s actually representative.

Coroc

Hero
It’s a sample. Samples don’t need to be big to be statistically significant. The question isn’t the size of the VTT market (it’s definitely big enough for that) but whether it’s actually representative.

Is this with or without MMORPGs? Is this 45 Mio just for the PnP segment, and let us say miniatures and dice etc.?

Remove ads