• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What will you/do you use for marks?

kennew142

First Post
I bought a pack of 1" diameter wooden disks at the local craft store and painted them different colors so each martial character can pick a color to use for his marks. I haven't used them yet, because we've had no difficulty remembering who's marked whom.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
One hyphenated word: Post-its.

Cut 'em into strips, stick 'em to the bottom of the figure's base, so that they'll follow the figure around if you move it, but won't be as obtrusive as a paperclip.

Fitz

MindWanderer

First Post
Yeah, I went ahead and bought some Alea Tools. For Large-size creatures, I'm going with these.

Another option I'd considered is colored pipe cleaners. You can easily wrap them around minis, coil them up to stand freely, or whatever. Craft stores usually have them. They'll be handy to mark Bloodied, too.

Rechan

Adventurer
Marking? I'm cutting pipe-cleaners in different colors.

Thing is, I'm not sure what to do about bloodied and status effects; I'm looking for some fat beads to use as status effects.

Stalker0

Legend
We used poker chips in my groups playtest. Worked pretty well, except they are too large to fit the 5 foot square.

I'm sure WOTC's commerce department is already working on providing us a marking set of tokens or something:)

I will use my Alf Pogs that I got from Milhouse:

alfpogs.jpg

arghost

First Post
I painted it on the initiative list, with colored arrows. The arrow-head points to the target, and the tail is next to the character doing the mark.
Since I reference the initiative-list to figure who's next, I have the marking in mind when I decide the action.

It might be worth mentioning that I use a white-board for the init-list, so shifting marks does not ruin the list as much as it would on paper.

Jack99

Adventurer
I use my laptop, with an initiative .doc that holds additional information, such as Ongoing Damage, Stuns and of course Markings.

So, if Sol 2 (hobgoblin soldier #2) marks Cat in round 1, I note in Cat's line, during her following turn, mk sol2. That way, when Cat's turn comes up, I can easily see if she has to take ongoing damage, if she is slowed, or if she has saves to make.

So far it seems to cause very very little slowdown.

If you do not use a laptop, you could always print out a sheet for each fight, but you would lose the ability to sort the combatants by initiative speed, which is nifty.

The dead+3-1 notation means that a dead (dying actually) character has made 3 saves and failed one, since he went down.

If anyone is interested, I attached an example.

Cheers

Attachments

• Initiative draft.doc
    66 KB · Views: 82

Remove ads