• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E What will your first 4E campaign look like?

Suudo

First Post
I just pre-ordered the books today, and I'm looking forward to getting ahold of them. Me being a guy who usually doesn't mess with D&D, to be honest. I have high hopes, though.

Anyhow. I was wondering:

What will your first 4E campaign look like?

What setting ideas do you have in mind? What adventures are you plotting out in your head? What NPCs, adversaries, challenges are you brewing up?

Will you be using the races and classes as is? No? How will you be changing them?

Etc, etc. Answer as broadly or as specifically as you wish. And sorry if the topic has been brought up before!

Darkwolf71

First Post
Mine will look suspiciously like a 2nd ed campaign. Mainly because, if the conversion and 'on the fly' abilities are what I expect they will be, I will be converting mostly 2nd ed Dungeon magazine adventures to 4e. The setting will be a smallish area of a generic world. Roughly half the size of North America. I already have a basic map laid out. Just need to update it a bit from the late eighties version that I first drew.

RandomCitizenX

First Post
My 4ed setting is going to be a little reminiscent of Michael Moorcock's Eternal Champion series. Group of adventurers are going to fall into a quest to find the lost city of Tanelorn (taken directly from Eternal Champion) and ultimately protect it from the otherworldly being which seek to see it destroyed. I am hoping to have one player per class since we have a notoriously large player base.

Wormwood

Adventurer
It'll look a hell of a lot like the setting provided in the core books plus whatever we get from adventures and the DI.

Hella_Tellah

Explorer
Mine will probably be moving away from the areas of my game world I've already designed so I'll have time to create updated crunch to match the existing fluff. I might move back over to an island infested with undead called Canbrith, or maybe to the Renaissance-era imperial seat of Gastilagne, but more than likely I'll be sending my players into one of the uncharted continents. They still haven't gotten to the Xendrik-like jungle area, yet, so that's the likeliest bet.

Oh, and they're starting at level 1. Partly because I want to try the rules from the ground up, and partly so I'll have time to rework all the areas of the world they might try to explore.

Storminator

First Post
I'm going to leverage the implied setting for all its worth.

I'm hoping I can work out constellations for the gods and work astrology into the game in a meaningful way.

I'm stealing from a poster here at ENW and I'm basing the setting on a lost penal colony. Half the PHB races will be natives to the continent, and half will be exiles from the Empire, via teleportation ritual. Then the colony end of the teleportation ritual goes kablooey and we're unmoored from the Empire.

PS

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
I'm using the oppertunity to start a new world, as my old one will be really incompatable without psionics or druids. If the group really likes 4.0 I may do the conversion when rules covering them get published.

The new world so far has its own (elementally linked) gods, each one "ascending" to rule the world, for a few hundread years, then passing on the throne. After all six have served, there is inevitably some form of collapse. This leaves room for Tiefling empires, elemental archons and Titans. The starting empire is ruled by a Divine King - with epic abilities, although his class is still undecided. His policy is to appoint paragon or upper heroic govenors and expect them to handle anything that does not actually threaten the world. If they bring him in unnecessarily the govenor vanishes.

I left more standard humanoids in this world. (My current has only 5). Im also looking at adding at least 2 magical beasts into each type of enviornment. They will be well known and have large breeding populations. The more hands on approach from the gods, allows more magical locations, floating islands, burning forests, seas of glass etc.

The first adventure I run will be purchased, to allow the best showcase of new rules/situations. I will probably lean heavily on EnWorld for advice on which one. We won't try a switch (for RL reasons) till august/september, so I should have a few choices.

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
I was planning a campaign where the PCs came from a colony of human exiles on the shores of an unexplored continent, who would eventually encounter other intelligent species (dragonborn and tieflings) for the first time in history . . . but I wasn't satisfied with how it was developing.

Crothian

First Post
I don't know yet. I'll have to see the game to see if the 12 year old campaign world we've been using will work with it. So far so good by the preview books I just have to figure out where the teiflings have come from.

My campaigns though are always pretty heavy in plot and the world. Thew actual rules of the game matter little.

Daniel D. Fox

Explorer
I am bringing my long-running homebrewed campaign to a close and "reinvisioning" the setting with new maps, cultures and the like centered around a semi-apolcayptic event called the Last Cataclysm. It's going to meld together two worlds - the reality of prime material Deismaar and the Well of Souls (a shadow realm where reality is twisted and all men pass into oblivion upon death). Thus, the two worlds will be as one and many places will change. I am basically taking my low magic world and jumpstarting it with the rise of mythological creatures from the early ages.

Remove ads