• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E What will your first 4E campaign look like?

Saishu_Heiki

First Post
I did this for the change from 2nd to 3rd edition and advanced the world by 500 years. One of the elven NPCs had married a human PC and she slowly went mad after he died and was constantly trying to bring him back. Unfortunately for her, he had already been reincarnated (all of the new PCs were reincarnated souls of the old PCs... worked really well).

She became the BBEG and laid waste to entire kingdoms, and they were in a real moral dilemma. Do they kill her because she has done so much evil, or do they let her do more evil while they try to save her because she did so much good during the War of Heroes 500 years ago?

ferratus

Adventurer
I'm rather frustrated with my 4e campaign setting for the simple reason that I have no big idea. This means I can't come up with an evocative name for my setting.

The ancient civilization used to cover the world, and a species of man that is a cousin to modern humans built a great civilization using stone age technology, and the divine guidance of the incarnation of a monotheistic god named Zerthimon. During the ice age his civilization reached its zenith, with cities built across the coninent. Warlocks looking for a source of magical power beyond that of the god-king sought the stars, and in the blackness between them found what they were looking for.

Long story short, the illithid were coming to claim the civilization. Asmodeus the angel, driven mad with power, organized a conspiracy among the angels to slay Zerthimon. He claimed that Zerthimon was too pacifistic to defend his people and thus would be of no use against the coming far realm invasion. He was successful in destroying the incarnation of Zerthimon, but did not fully appreciate the consequences of what would happen next. Magic flowed from his fingers and was loosed into the world, now without any master at all. The lands of the dead were deprived of their consolation, becoming the shadowfell. The betrayal and deicide of Zerthimon ensured his angel's damnation, and the heavenly realms bereft of Zerthimon became a prison and place of absolute horror and torment... made worse by their burning hatred of themselves and all who exist.

The Illithid invasion was complete and total. Some survivors fled beneath the earth, where due to inbreeding and evolution became the twisted and stunted forms of goblinkind. Those taken by the Illithid became the Githyanki, who managed to finally extract their revenge on their Illithid masters and escape their slavery. The dragons, who had helped Zerthimon build this great civilization turned feral and became the chromatic dragons.

On the world the years turned, and the ice age ended. The waters rose to claim some, but not all, of the ruins of this civilization. The modern races filled the niches in the world, and built their own civilizations.

However, the Githyanki never forgot their homeland... and they want it back. The Lich Queen plots from the Astral Plane to return in power to their rightful homeland, and purge the interlopers which have claimed her lands. In this she is aided by the devils, who seek to bring the Githyanki back to the world and put them back into the reach of death and harvest their souls. The Lich Queen attempts to reclaim the power of Zerthimon, and become the God Queen.

So obviously I've cribbed quite a bit from Incursion, but I plan to keep playing it after the invasion of the Githyanki is resolved. But aside from the invasion of the Githyanki, my campaign suffers from a big idea to evoke the setting in. I have lots of interesting cultures, organizations, cities, geographical features etc. all the little things that make adventures great. However, I don't have a big idea which distinguishes my world. It is really quite frustrating.

KidSnide

Adventurer
I'll be continuing my 3.X campaign. It's been going 8 years, and we're still closer to the beginning than to the end. And so, we'll be doing some character re-imagining. The xeph psion will fake it with eladrin wizard stats for a year or two and the monk-assassin will be a rogue for as long as that takes.

But, we fight infrequently enough that some of my players would take years to learn how to effectively pilot their new characters under normal pacing. So, I'm going to take a month or two and "replay" the campaign as a series of fights. I'll make all my PCs "re-create" their characters at first level (in 4e) and they can go through a series of fights that are reminiscent of earlier encounters in the game. A lot of players missed the early years of the campaign, so I figure they will enjoy both a chance to better learn the full story arc and to feel out how their characters developed over time.

As an added bonus, they will be fighting the creatures that their characters actually fought. So, when we start up again in the fall, the players will have a sense of how their historical enemies work mechanically.

Ajax23

First Post
theskyfullofdust said:
I'm going to continue running my campaigns in the World of Greyhawk. I've ran or played most of my gaming life (25+ years) in that world and have a wealth of info running around in my head.

I couldn't agree more. In fact, after reading the rule snippets and monster stats released from DDXP I have been thinking that 4e will be a lot of fun (maybe even more than 3.5) to run some classic Greyhawk adventures. Mass combats with a Gygaxian flavor just seem to be so much more streamlined and fun in 4e. Plus, the focus on needing implements or weapons to use certain powers would make an interesting twist to In the Dungeons of the Slavelords.

Talking with my wife last night, she suggested we run the Temple of Elemental Evil (which she sadly has never gotten to play) as our first 4e adventure/campaign. I am already anticipating the mass combats with humanoid minions and swarms of elementals/evil monsters that present themselves. I am probably in a distinct minority, but what I have seen so far of 4e makes running and playing the classic adventures very appealing.

Belorin

Explorer
I've been kind of working with the implied setting, plus some story elements from the FR.
Okay, in my campaign the war between the angels that created the Nine Hells spilled over into other planes and combatants on both sides were left behind and could not return home. The renegades were already marked as devils but one empire accepted them into it's population. The angels had no home to return to and so accepted the human offer of asylum. Both races bred with humans and the offspring were hybrids. These hybrids breed true whether mating with humans or Tiefings and Aasimar. Both races have an instinctual hatred for the other and it is best if they do not even see each other.
Halflings are their old Hobbity selves and Gnomes have a stronger connection to the Feywild than the Eladrin.
Orcs are just becoming civilized, as in building towns and even a city for the capitol of there nation, though there are still tribal Orcs out there raiding as always.
Genasi and Dragonborn retain their FR fluff.
Drow fight for mastery of the Underdark with the Duergar, Illithids and Aboleths.
No half-elves or half-orcs.

Bel

Nahat Anoj

First Post
I really like the core cosmology. My only problem is that there is so much I like! I could run entire campaigns with the Devils, Demons, Titans, Fomorians, and Gods as the ultimate BBEGs. I think I'm going to have to run several campaigns before I exhaust most of the possibilities.

My Devil campaign involves finding a fragment of the "Spear of Destiny," the weapon Asmodeus used to slay his patron god. When the god was stabbed, the Spear shattered and its shards scattered across the planes. A group of mortal devil worshippers believes a fragment is in the world, and they feel that once they collect all the fragments they will be able to reforge the Spear, use it to create a rift in the Nine Hells, and free the Devils.

Celebrim

Legend
Suudo said:
I just pre-ordered the books today, and I'm looking forward to getting ahold of them. Me being a guy who usually doesn't mess with D&D, to be honest. I have high hopes, though.

Anyhow. I was wondering:

What will your first 4E campaign look like?

If I was going to run a 4E campaign, I'd pretty much throw out any sort of fluff, background, or complex exposition. I'd start by updating my 1st edition AD&D expansion of 'Keep on the Borderlands' to 4E, and plan the entire campaign as an extended series of dungeon delves. Lots and lots of combat. Lots and lots of foes. Lots of silly beer and pretzels fun.

I believe that this would play to 4E's strengths as a tactical fantasy minatures game and would keep the players playing the game with a high level of suspension of disbelief.

I think that my homebrew runs into conflict with the tone and style 4E encourages. However, if I was to set a 4E campaign on my homebrew, the campaign involving the Merovingian/Scandanavian inspired northern kingdom, the aging Hero King, and a conspiracy to return the land to the dark ages which I've had in the back of my mind since junior high but never actually run would seem to lend itself best to 4E style play. The starting point of the campaign assumes that the PC's are all friends and servants of the Prince Heir, which lends itself to the 1st level = 'already heroic' nature of 4E.

warlockwannabe

First Post
I'll be reworking the BECMI setting into 4e. Working Eberron material into Glantri. There is a huge wealth of information i have in the old gazateers, and adding the new races wont be such a stretch in the right areas.

Ideas off hand. Warlocks outlawed in Karameikos, hunted like witches.
Alphatia is a source of tieflings. Who are viewed as demons in some countries and oddities in others. In the slave community, a lot of slaves have become warlocks and are planning revolution or escape.

Immortals are offering warlock pacts as well, the type of pact depends on the immortal.

Glantri will have a lot of things from Eberron. Magewrights and Artificers abound. As will sorcerers, warlocks, and any who practice arcane magic. Warlocks are prized in the military. Living spells might become a nuisance at any time. Warforged originate in Glantri, and are now treated as citizens by most there. In other countries not necessarily. Clerics and Paladins are still underground. Airships abound in both Glantri and Alphatia.

Thats just a start, I'm waiting to get my hands on the books before I go too far.

Xethreau

Josh Gentry - Author, Minister in Training
Well, my group and I are first going to play a game where we are all Dragonborn! BUwahaha!

After that, though, here is what we/I have planned:
- Pick up of my 3.5 game where the characters will be arround lvl 6 and about to enter Ravenloft
- Pick up of a friends epic campaign that had to be canceled because 3.5 epic is such hard work to generate for
- A campaign with a plot and world very similar to Dragon Quest III

neoweasel

First Post
Suudo said:
I just pre-ordered the books today, and I'm looking forward to getting ahold of them. Me being a guy who usually doesn't mess with D&D, to be honest. I have high hopes, though.

Anyhow. I was wondering:

What will your first 4E campaign look like?

What setting ideas do you have in mind? What adventures are you plotting out in your head? What NPCs, adversaries, challenges are you brewing up?

Will you be using the races and classes as is? No? How will you be changing them?

Etc, etc. Answer as broadly or as specifically as you wish. And sorry if the topic has been brought up before!
As a player, we'll be continuing in the same campaign we've been playing for the last 8 years - bureaucrats from a 18th century England in an Arabic embassy (very, very loosely).

As a GM, I have an idea for a 1-30 campaign (loosely) based off of the bloodstone pass series.

Heroic tier will be local concerns, Paragon tier will be national concerns, and Epic tier will be planar concerns.

Remove ads