D&D General What would a deity feel when followers pray to it?

In the D&D realms, what would a deity feel when its followers pray to it? Can it distinguish individual prayers? Does it gain extra power from each prayer (does prayer act as a fuel to its divine powers)?

I realize that a lot is not described in the books. Just looking to what you think.

Background: I need to understand the difference in how a deity would approach a PC with or without prayers - e.g. through commune, noting that this won't affect the outcome (i.e. game mechanics), only the flavoring. In our campaign, flavoring is quite important though.

MarkB

Legend
It's very setting-dependent. Some have the God Needs Prayer Badly trope, others don't.

In some settings / religions, deities may have their angelic followers set up as a secretarial service, fielding 'calls' on their behalf, and only escalating those that require their personal attention.

jasper

Rotten DM
In the D&D realms, what would a deity feel when its followers pray to it? Can it distinguish individual prayers? Does it gain extra power from each prayer (does prayer act as a fuel to its divine powers)?

It depends on the DM. Do prayers = batteries? So the more worshippers the more powerful gawd? Or gawds don't need worshippers but they are fun to have.
I go with fun to have. Yes it knows who is calling. No prayers are not fuel.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
My take would be god need belief and prayer, ceremonies, rituals, sacrifices and festivals are things that reinforce belief and bond communities of believers together. They are important but indirectly.

Remove ads