D&D Movie/TV What would a good D&D movie be like?

Remathilis

Legend
I'd rather have animatronics and people in suits and makeup. To me CGI along side real people is often too noticeable and comes off like Mary Poppins or Pete's Dragon (e.g., Jar-Jar and Azog).

You notice it because its BAD CGI, not because its CGI. Good CGI isn't noticed; that's the point.

[video]https://youtu.be/bL6hp8BKB24[/video]

collin

Explorer
Starts with a good script. Not a good D&D script - just a good script. Fun, interesting plot and characters. A script NOT written by any one of the producers, directors, or actors. Now send it for a light re-write to ensure sufficient D&D-isms to make it sensible that you're hanging the tag of "D&D" on it. Change a few place-names and character names if adapting to an existing, known D&D setting. This should not be hard and is not going to break any script that was tolerably crafted in the first place. Cast with good actors and tell them to take their roles seriously. Hire a director who knows FILM and has a proven track record of success and proof that they DO know film direction. Assign a TECHNICAL ADVISOR to ensure mostly that the movie simply doesn't stray OUTSIDE of D&D rules bounds rather than trying to ensure that rules come first. Don't give the effects work to the guys you knew in high school. Add actual money. Profit.

That's what I said. Listen to the Man in the Funny Hat - he knows what he's talking about.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I'd rather have animatronics and people in suits and makeup. To me CGI along side real people is often too noticeable and comes off like Mary Poppins or Pete's Dragon (e.g., Jar-Jar and Azog).

The biggest problem with that is that animatronics and people in suits & makeup can be more expensive than all but the priciest CGI.

I don't want bad CGI, but in a budgetary tug-o-war between having great CGI and not having enough money to pay for decent scriptwriting, directing and acting? Well, I'm going to pick having the latter and hope the CGI doesn't reek.

Nebulous

Legend
still my favorite dragon ever, Vermithrax - 1981

9hlBV4C.jpg

LTgae5J.jpg

Nebulous

Legend
Reign of Fire did a pretty good job with the dragons too, although the movie itself wasn't so great.

8tZSeck.jpg

Smaug I really wanted to like, but it fell short for me, maybe because it did look like a cartoon. Or maybe because I just didn't like the Hobbit films at all.

1O5clsF.jpg

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
You notice it because its BAD CGI, not because its CGI. Good CGI isn't noticed; that's the point.

I'm not against all CGI and that video makes many points that I agree with. I like how the video compared CGI to a tool in the filmmaker's toolbelt. It's a great tool for landscapes, brief special effects, and extra from far off shots. And I recognize it's an incredible feat of technology and film. It's not my preferred tool for rendering characters from scratch.

If Jar-Jar and Azog are bad CGI, what do you think are examples of good CGI for main characters?

(Also, I recognize it's a matter of aesthetic opinion. I was equally aware Jabba was a special effect in Jedi and the Special Edition ANH. I just prefer the Muppet to the cartoon.)

The biggest problem with that is that animatronics and people in suits & makeup can be more expensive than all but the priciest CGI.

I don't want bad CGI, but in a budgetary tug-o-war between having great CGI and not having enough money to pay for decent scriptwriting, directing and acting? Well, I'm going to pick having the latter and hope the CGI doesn't reek.

For sure--my wanting Muppets and makeup has no basis in budgetary or production hurdles. Like Remathilis's video points out, a great plot, direction, and acting will make me overlook subpar special effects, so I would prioritize those over Muppets any day. But since in this thread my character is a movie exec with limitless time, budget, and resources, I gave Muppets the nod.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases