D&D 5E What would happen if we got rid of opportunity attacks

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
My point was if no one had any qualms about grappling an armed opponent, then I would agree that the weapon wielder's advantage in the AD&D rules would be "too much." But people are reluctant to do this, because an armed target does indeed have a tremendous advantage, and can easily seriously injure or kill you as you attempt to grapple them. Whether you are cornered or not is irrelevant to my point here.

The Human Target

Adventurer
I think when my game gets up and running I'm going to try a variant.

Opportunity attacks are always hits, no need to roll anything but damage.

See how that works.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I think when my game gets up and running I'm going to try a variant.

Opportunity attacks are always hits, no need to roll anything but damage.
The wizards (on both sides) will love it, as no front-liner in his-her right mind will want to burst through the line to get at the squishies.

I suspect in-combat movement in general will be close to nonexistent under this variant.

Rhenny

Adventurer
I like the idea that they could be more random, based on pc or monster type. Elite 4 in 6 chance at any time (high levels). Trained 2 in 6 chance (Mid levels) and Pee-on 1 in 6 chance (low levels)

i also like the idea that more than one attack per turn could also be possible. I hate when pcs know that the creature has already used a reaction. It really becomes to gamist for me.

Uncertainty makes action more exciting.

Remove ads