D&D General What would imps use as a “guard dog”?

trentonjoe

Explorer
I’ve always thought as Imps as mischievous little buggers. In a game I am running tonight , they have managed to buy a bunch of people and have them caged up. I think the PCs might try to rescue them, but I am at a loss for what would guard them.

Any ideas would be welcome. Even if it’snot a book monster, just some fluff would be cool.

thanks in advance!

Fenris447

Explorer
It would depend on what you want the CR to be. Hellhounds are CR3 and are the obvious choice.

If you need something easier, I'd take a wolf or something similar, give it resistance to fire damage, and give its bite a bonus dice of fire damage. Swap both instances of fire for something else if you want a different theme to the monster.

jgsugden

Legend
One of the humans. They, as devils, are lawful beings and promised to let one of the prisoners live so long as he kept them prisoner. One of them agreed and became the guard of the prisoners. However, it has not occurred to him that once the Imps sacrifice the people, he will no longer be keeping them prisoner and the imps can live up to the letter of their agreement and still eat him alive.

Jediking

Explorer
A Tanurukk - a demon-tainted orc

Or an Ogre - a classic trope of distracting a simple but brutish guard but tricking them into moving away from the key ring

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?

Remove ads