• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What would WotC need to do to win back the disenchanted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mournblade94

Adventurer
I'd have to disagree. 3rd Edition made God himself into a D&D player. And if WotC had continued publishing it, it would have converted the entire population of invisible, phase-shifted martians into players, too. We would have been receiving first contact with alien species later this year if it wasn't for 4th Edition.

Hillarious.

It's probably useful at this juncture to point out that a lot of us who remain 3E fans welcomed 4E with open arms. There are clearly problems with 3E and fixing some of them was going to require a new edition. (Much like it took 3E to fix a lot of the problems people had with 2E.)

But we didn't get a new, improved edition of the core gameplay that stretched back to 1974. We got a fundamentally different fantasy roleplaying game designed to do fundamentally different things (albeit it with the same trademark on the cover).

SO many times YES!!!!

I am STILL getting friends that point out how great I thought 4e was going to be, and how I was gearing up to change.

I was SUPER ENTHUSIASTIC about it, and even defended those terrible preview books that were released.

After being excited and playing it for a month, I felt like a kid that was anticipating opening a present hoping for OPTIMUS PRIME, and it was really just a GOBOT.

renau1g

First Post
Moreover, in 3.5/PF, if you advance the efreet with fighter, sorcerer, eldricht knight levels, you come up with a far more cool monster (IMO, this is debatable because of monster creation guidelines).

Throw on a template to the efreet from the DMG and you're good to go. You can add the sorcerer, fighter, or other templates as needed.

Herschel

Adventurer
Conversely I HATED what I read in previews (healing surges, daily powers and giants "advance" to titans? Blech!) and even the first PHB is rather dry yet I found myself actually playing it and really enjoying it. Nothing from the RP side has really changed and the system is awesome in play. It still doesn't mean everyone will like it though. Heck, I hear there's some people out there who even LIKE country music. ;)

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
Throw on a template to the efreet from the DMG and you're good to go. You can add the sorcerer, fighter, or other templates as needed.

You can add quick and dirty templates to monsters in Pathfinder as well (Pathfinder Bestiary Pg 294).

Yeah, I'm that DM that LOOOOOVES adding class levels to his monsters. I used to do it by hand but now I use HeroLab which makes it easier and quicker to do.

Still when I'm on the train on the way home and I get an idea for an encounter I can use my iphone and use the Pathfinder Reference Document app and Cut and paste into the Notes App. Then pretty much email it to myself in case I want to further alter it.

Mournblade94

Adventurer
Math "smashed to mediocrity" as in all characters are playable and pretty well balanced so one person is the "star" and making the others essentially their lackies?: I say yay!

Incidenally I do not see a difference in 4e and 3rd edition there. I played a lot of 3rd edition, never did I have 1 player feeling the star unless I as GM made it that way. (Actually one time I did, because I focused everything on my girlfriends character; there was an intervention and it changed:)

Play what you like, but conversely I get tired of the 3E "Victim Complex". WotC moved on for business reasons. Some people who didn't want to change got left behind. It happens. They weren't trying to "screw" anybody, they don't owe anybody anything for their previous products.

Which does not absolve WOTC of criticism in any way shape or form.

They will do what they can to entice customers of previous editions (Red Box nostalgia, Essentials builds, game days, promotions, etc.) but they aren't going to entice everyone.

Pretty much on. Most former customers view the red box as a quaint try.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Yes, but youru ingoring something. If 35% of that market is teens, the other 65% is....adults. Which is $4.8 billion dollars....so perhaps excluding warhorses, if its even remotely similar in RPG's isnt the smartest move.
But again, the assumption is that the older 65% portion will abandon the market as one if they are not the marketing focus. The odds are low that will happen. On the flip side, marketing to maintain the older demographic is less likely to bring as many new people as marketing to the younger demographic (us older people usually being more set in our ways). As a result you need to lose more people from the older demographic than you would gain from marketing to a younger one before it becomes the wrong move.

MrMyth

First Post
Point being, that 3.5 or its implements can support the things you said. Explosive Spell metamagic feat was not core, but spread around people hit by a fireball. Bullrush push people. Shield feats in pathfinder make S&B awesome AND make you fighter push and smash people.

Simply put, 3.5/Pathfinder design seem to put , maybe slightly, more emphasis on the way this happens in the gameworld. I Push people with my shield because I perform an action similar to spartans in phalanx, say.

Of course you can roleplay powers in 4th, but sometimes happpens that powers seems first conceived mechanically, then "fluffed". This, for someone, is a problem. And let me say that this could be a problem bigger for newcomers, because, IMO, "regain" immersion with a good RP of a power is more a thing of a seasoned player. I'm not sure this strictly gamist approach is so good to make or keep new players interested.

I'm not sure that is an accurate view of things, though. It is, in fact, directly counter to how the designers have spoken of class and power design - concept and fluff come first, mechanics second.

Seriously, pretty much every power in 4E that pushes does so to represent either a solid hit that sends someone backword, or a spell with explosive force, or has some other solid rational behind it. I don't see anywhere that it was just tossed into things without reason.

The more relevant issue is that rather than someone describing how they hit someone with their shield and send them flying, they'll just say that they are using "Solar Dragon Shield Slam" and roll some dice. But again - that is, at heart, a problem with player mentality more than the system. It is certainly something I wish WotC did more to discourage - or at least, presented more guidance for players and DMs on getting around it - but I don't think it is because shoving someone with your shield is more or less reasonable in either game.

Another thing: 4th edition simply refutes to support mechanics slightly out of push, damage or some utility. This is great or lame, basing on your gamestyle. Let me make an example.

In 3.5 and Pathfinder, Efreet can gran Wish to mortals. I see that many people see this as a great risk of gamebreaking. In fact, they see it as a potential abuse of the spell planar binding. What happened in 4th edition? At least in MMI (don't know others) Efreet are apparently far more cool in combat, with all their flames and whirling, flying scimitars. But designers removed the wish feature, because things like that are unthinkable in 4th edition.

I think your use of the term 'slightly' might be inaccurate - 4E supports a lot of different mechanics (often in rituals or utility powers), but something like Wish is in a completely different ballpark. We're talking about a magic that fundamentally rewrites the reality of the game - that's dangerous territory, and always has been. Equating WotC removing the most divisive spell in the game, with them removing all flavor from their monsters or mechanics, is a bit unreasonable to me.

Of course, the monster is very balanced, but, instatnly, any root with legends an arabian nights, any possible RP implication about desperate heroes, crazy summoners and twisted wishes is gone.

In any case, 4E Efreeti - if you can bind them and demand a favor of them - still grant Wishes. They just don't do so by casting spells, they do so by having access to wealth and influence beyond a mortal's possible imagining!

Which is to say, part of the 4E approach is to take truly game-changing elements and relocate them to the domain of the DM. Stuff that is tied to plot and DM judgement calls now falls firmly into it, rather than having mechanical restrictions.

Which I admit - I'm not entirely a fan of. I'd like something a bit between the two, or simply more guidance on what certain enemies may be capable of outside of combat. And... sometimes WotC delivers. Not with every monster, but enough that I don't think 'avoiding flavorful concepts and mechanics' is 'unthinkable'.

Moreover, in 3.5/PF, if you advance the efreet with fighter, sorcerer, eldricht knight levels, you come up with a far more cool monster (IMO, this is debatable because of monster creation guidelines).

I don't entirely think it fair to compare an advanced and customized creature to one right out of the book. You can customize creatures in 4E too. (And I find it a better process, in fact - I have never found monster advancement in 3.5 to actually work with the CR guidelines, though Pathfinder may have fixed that.)

If you want another example, just take a look to 4th edition Phane, and D&D 3.5 Phane. This one is not a case of mechanics divorced from game reality, or of "nerf" due to balance: is a case of a monsters that really seems to play with time in 3.5, and now.. well..

Of course, 4th edition phane is far more easy to use in play - but, for some people (like me) is completely unappealing. Again, I'm not even sure 4th edition could support one modeled more on the 3.5 version, because it would need some awful, broken, clumsy, AWESOMENESS.

I've actually done just that. :)

I admit - I looked at the 4E Phane and found it dull and uninspired. That's the case for several of the abominations in the MM1 - I found the MM1 did a fantastic job with heroic and paragon level threats, in fact, and gave excellent mechanics and flavor to hordes of goblins and orcs... but fell down on the job with some of the epic foes. Certain monsters they did ok with (dragons), but yeah - the Phane is a shadow of its former glory. I don't think that's inherent to 4E, though - MM2 and MM3 have done a fantastic job with monsters on the same level.

In any case, when my PCs found themselves sent back in time to the Dawn War, and confronted by a Phane intent on absorbing their temporal inconsistency to rewrite history for itself, I went ahead and gave it an overhaul.

Upgraded it to a solo and gave it various abilities to reflect the former glory of the Phane. The ability to leech time from PCs - as it slowed and aged them, it got faster in every way, and could burn some of that stolen speed for extra move actions. It could unleash a time vortex that hurled everyone in and out of time - cutting short durations, for example. And it could even unleash it's classic time stasis, at least temporarily freezing PCs in time. And finally, the ability to summon evil duplicates of PCs from alternate timelines - which one PC (an Archlich Master of Undeath) used to take control of his own alternate self to further his own schemes.

And all of that worked just fine, while still being balanced, without having any one effect that simply took PCs out of the fight or aged them irrecoverably. Not that such things are inherently bad - but they are the type of play that 4E avoids. The thing to understand is that avoiding doing so doesn't mean avoiding the flavor of such powers.

A 3.5 Phane wasn't cool because of the specific mechanics of how its powers work, but because of what they represent. The ability to move in and out of the time-stream, the ability to age PCs or steal their speed, or freeze them in time - you can absolutely capture all that 'Awesomeness' without needing it to be 'awful, broken, clumsy'. Maybe not some abilities - I didn't want to even try to figure out how to model a power that rewinds time back to the start of combat. But is that specific mechanic fundamental to a Phane? Not really. Is it even worth preserving, given the headaches it cause? Not to me.

Maybe that's a gamechanger for some people. For myself, as long as the monsters are flavorful in concept and capability, and exciting to see in action, that's a win.

Shazman

Banned
Banned
Well taking the chance they will look...

Consider licensing pathfinder or 3.5 into the DDI. Just for the tools even. I know ALOT of people that would pay $8 a month for that.

I know that I would. I would be very tempted to get a year's subscription of the ddi if they did this. Though, I think there is a better chance of pigs flying than this happening.

Last edited:

Mournblade94

Adventurer

For me it is from observations on game days. I have not plugged anything into a scientific method but,

I used to run 4e for my gamestore up until the PHII release which I did not wish to buy. The people often playing (some kids, some my age) would look at numbers first (including movement, or push numbers) before they would think of effect. WHY? I think alot of it is layout. The powers dedicate much more space to emphasis on NUMBERS than fluff. I think, the layout brings the attention to the numbers not the fluff. This also feeds into why I think 4e distilled into a miniatures tactics game.

If layout changed in PHBII and beyond I am not aware as I have only casually flipped through later 4e books.

renau1g

First Post
Well, they have definitely improved the fluff of the releases since the first two PHB's, but how is it different than Power attack from 3.5e, or in 2e, 3/2 attacks/round?

For and example of continuing to improve the fluff see this from their spring 2011 Catalog:

"Welcome to Mordenkainen’s Magnificent Emporium, a wondrous collection of magic items—each one with a story to tell. This tome provides Dungeon Masters with a ready assortment of treasures to tempt greedy players, along with historical nuggets and alluring adventure hooks that set these items apart from your run-of the-mill flaming sword or bag of holding....

...Key Selling Points
• Mordenkainen’s Magnificent Emporium strikes an excellent balance between rules content and story content, making it a fun read as well as a practical reference book for Dungeon Masters looking to sprinkle their dungeons with tantalizing treasures.
• This book provides an alluring collection of new magic items that players will desire for their characters, along with rich background information and adventure hooks that Dungeon Masters can use to add depth or story to the campaign. "

http://www.randomhouse.biz/international/PDFs/wotcspr11.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads