Level Up (A5E) What would you *call* an Advanced 5E?

MarkB

Legend
Excellent advise. From years of design: FORM follows FUNCTION (not the other way around ;) ).
In which case name it first. The name tells everyone what function you intend it to serve, then you have to make sure you build it to actually serve that function.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
In which case name it first. The name tells everyone what function you intend it to serve, then you have to make sure you build it to actually serve that function.
That is exactly the opposite of what you want to do.

Once you find out what people want, design it, then name it. If you name it first, you are pigeon-holing the design. In the other thread the OP already has been asking people what they would like to see, next the focus should be on making those mechanics, and then name it.

Now, of course have a "working title" for the project, but otherwise leave it alone. The focus should be on the function (i.e. the design) not the form (or the name of it).

MarkB

Legend
That is exactly the opposite of what you want to do.

Once you find out what people want, design it, then name it. If you name it first, you are pigeon-holing the design. In the other thread the OP already has been asking people what they would like to see, next the focus should be on making those mechanics, and then name it.

Now, of course have a "working title" for the project, but otherwise leave it alone. The focus should be on the function (i.e. the design) not the form (or the name of it).
Yeah, but I've browsed the other thread, and frankly, if you tried to stuff even half of that into an expanded ruleset, it'd fall apart. If you at least start with a direction in mind, whether it's complexity or clarity or flexibility, you stand a chance of building it right.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Yeah, but I've browsed the other thread, and frankly, if you tried to stuff even half of that into an expanded ruleset, it'd fall apart. If you at least start with a direction in mind, whether it's complexity or clarity or flexibility, you stand a chance of building it right.
Fair enough. I haven't read through the other thread enough to speak on that aspect.

I did a thread a long time ago along those lines and ended up with over 60 items that were commonly requested, much of which was repeated when I glanced at the other thread.

Since it would just be me working by myself, and there was too much, I gave up the project.

IMO, the "concept" of an Advanced 5E akin to how AD&D 1E was "advanced" to the "basic" of the time, would not be worth pursuing because too much focus has been on simplifying the game, not making it complex again. But if others want to pursue it, more power to them. :)

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I guess it comes down to how much you can refer to terms like 5e and Dungeons and Dragons/D&D. Doing so would improve your searchability results. But I can see WotC being a little touchy about anything implying it's part of their own product line or a replacement for 5e or than a supplement to. And I suspect that means any association should probably sub-titular such as "Advanced options for 5e"

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Obviously you can’t just include everything anyone says they would want to see in such a book. But if there are common trends, certain things that keep coming up over and over again that a lot of people seem to want from such a product, that’s a much better starting point than the name.

Remove ads