What would you like to see dropped from Dungeon?

What would you like to see dropped from Dungeon?

DonTadow

First Post
ShadeMoon64 said:
I would back this 100% While I don't care for Downer, I enjoy the rest of the magazine.
I think taking a simple question like' "Which would you like to see dropped?" and turning it into a referendum on Erik's editorial choices is a bit extreme.
I'll back you up on this. This thread is one of those title threads I hate. You make this "mock poll" with a "mock question" knowning the answer. Most people are going to say Downer. THe Will forum was closed "even though I don't think it was nearly as upsetting in the end as it was in the middle, but this one probably should be. It's a magnet for negativity. You might as well name it "what do you think Erik's bad decisions are even though I know most people will say Downer". It's not really adding anything and nothing's going to change from it. Let's abandon this and try to put our ideas out to se what we can help with, instead of trying to take down someone whomprobably could be making a hell ofa lot more money (reason i'm not in teh gaming business) for a hell of a lot more (reason I'm not in the gaming business).

Erik wants Downer and believes in it, we can either skip it or try to get into it. Right now theres some empty space, so lets get to work. EVeryone knows that Enworlders are the smartest bunch in the business http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=135470

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Well, it's fairly clear they're not interested in taking a poll on whatelse to remove.

James Jacobs said:
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! We're still not 100% sure what we're going to do with the last page now, but I can certainly tell you what we WON'T be doing:

We have no plans to drop any other features or cartoons from the magazine. These features and cartoons are quite popular, and dropping any of them would hurt the magazine. Since the relaunch last year, the numbers for Dungeon have been climbing steadilly. Removing existing content is simply an unwise and self-destructive move at this point.

It's true that dropping the comics, Dungeoncraft, and the campaign workbook would free up enough space for us to print another adventure, but doing so is a recipie for disaster for two reasons:

1: Those sections are quite popular, and their removal would be bad (see above).
2: Adventures are extremely time-consuming to develop and edit; they're certainly the most time-consuming type of article to edit either magazine prints. Simply put... I doubt we have the man-power to edit another sizable adventure each month.

Anyway... there's been a few possible back page features mentioned above that are certainly interesting, and we've got a few ideas of our own here in beautiful Bellevue, Wa. The trick is coming up with something that works for at least 51% of the readers... cross your fingers!

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?p=2317086

DiamondB

Explorer
Die Downer Die!!!!

I really can't stand Downer and I suppose if Erik Mona has to go too, so be it. ;)
Honestly I wouldn't want to see Erik leave, I really like the direction he's taken the two magazines, I'll just continue skipping Downer just like I've always done. Of course this is just idle talk, it's not like this poll is going to truly have an impact.

Oh and I actually find Mt. Zogon entertaining, though I couldn't really say why.

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Erik Mona said:
But that day isn't today, and that day won't be any day while my name is still at the top of the masthead.

Well I hope its not tomorrow, a year from now, or even five years. I like the new look of the magazine. :) (and for the record I didn't vote against Downer. :D )

Death to Downer!

I'll miss Wil Save, the other comics are fun (Portent is a little strange, but I'll give it a chance -- Mt. Zogon is a two-thumbs-up), Monte Cook's columns is great, and Letters are always entertaining if chosen right.

Krypter

Explorer
I like Downer, and in fact it IS one of the reasons I subscribed (Greyhawk map and the first adventure path are the others). Erik is correct in saying that it's like Wormy. It adds a visual and human element to what can be rather dry-looking adventures. It has interesting characters even though the plot is somewhat confusing and convoluted.

And to everyone who is urging OOTS to be in the magazine, you do realize that would probably mean denying it to the tens of thousands of people who read it for free now? I like OOTS a lot too, but I think we all benefit if it's available for free on the website rather than in a paid subscription.

An editor is like a politician; he does not lead by slavishly following opinion polls every day. You lead by example and principle, and sometimes it takes a long time to convince the majority that you're right. The whims of public opinion blow every which way on an hourly basis. Downer deserves to stay.

JoelF

First Post
Another vote for Downer, with the Portent a close 2nd. I'm shocked that so many don't like Mt. Zogon - I think it's a riot. Not quite as funy as Zogonia in Dragon, but close.

I'd also vote for those other articles at the end of the mag, not Monte's but the rest....I've yet to find those all that useful - or interesting.

Remove ads