• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What would you like to see dropped from Dungeon?

What would you like to see dropped from Dungeon?

The_Universe

First Post
Downer stays. If you hate it so much that you don't want to buy the magazine because of a two-page cartoon, more power to you.
I think that's a drastic overstatement of how people think about Downer. I have a hard time believing it's driving people away (I still subscribe, despite my dislike), but it's certainly not drawing all that many people in.

I don't have a problem with comics in general...I just like them to be either funny or interesting, and Downer has been neither since it's inception (though of course, that's merely opinion). The character are unappealing, the art doesn't seem to convey the mood particularly well, and due to the limits of a monthly periodical and the relative length of the strip, the "story" moves at a snail's pace, anyway. At least I chuckle at Nodwick.

I'm glad you're defending your editing decisions with this kind of vehemence...that's your prerogative. But it would have been nice if Wil Save had been given the kind of resounding defense that Downer's getting now. In my opinion, Wil's column has earned this kind of attitude, and Downer hasn't.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
The_Universe said:
I'm glad you're defending your editing decisions with this kind of vehemence...that's your prerogative. But it would have been nice if Wil Save had been given the kind of resounding defense that Downer's getting now. In my opinion, Wil's column has earned this kind of attitude, and Downer hasn't.

I have to say that this encapsualtes my thoughts almost exactly.

Erik Mona

Adventurer
A careful read of the Paizo message boards will turn up several heated defenses of the column from me, rest assured.

Wil Save did not die because of lack of editorial protection.

--Erik Mona

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Erik Mona said:
A careful read of the Paizo message boards will turn up several heated defenses of the column from me, rest assured.

--Erik Mona

Again, fair enough. Unfortunately, the few times I've tried to get on Paizo's boards, it timed out on me, so I gave up. I generally only haunt a few message boards, so I can easily miss such things.

DonTadow

First Post
ColonelHardisson said:
I have to say that this encapsualtes my thoughts almost exactly.
I really didnt even know that it was the name of the comic until today. It's hard having your writing and editing critiqued, so i completely understand the anger. Heck, I had to hear it from little old angry ladies every morning ( I didn't even know old ladies could curse). We have no idea what happened between Will and Erik or Erik and whoever does Downer. I don't think any of us feel strongly about Downer being dismissed. We just don't see the point in it (the naysayers). It's not a red button to me. If you keep monte there and don't do too many story arcs that go from issue to issue I"m good. It's just you hear rumors about declining readership and I can't help but think what could we put there to attract people and keep this great magazine around.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
I think people would enjoy themselves a lot more and get much more from their gaming experience if they spent time on and focused on and built on the things about their subscription that they liked. It's like poking at the vegetables while the steak grows cold.

The_Universe

First Post
Erik Mona said:

--Erik Mona
I don't want to keep going over this, but...

Does this mean if we complain to the degree that Wil Save was grilled on your own boards, we can actually get Downer replaced?

I mean - listen to us, or don't. I personally think your instincts for publishing are pretty good. Certainly, Dungeon has gotten a lot of good press around here since you took the reins. But, if complaining about Wil Save can get *it* dumped, what's so special about Downer? Presumably, you liked Wil Save, too....

TroyXavier

First Post
As Critical Hits are one of my favorite parts of Dungeon, I'm glad to hear they'll be happening more often. There's nothing in Dungeon I particularly hate.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Well, I like the adventures... :D

Actually, I enjoy the letters column, the editorials, and the general variety of the adventures chosen for the magazine. Hell, I've been a big fan of Dungeon for quite a while, and have strongly defended it at various times. Though I'm sure it isn't anything to have committed to memory, I also sided with Erik over Greyhawk, back when there was a running battle about that setting.

The_Universe

First Post
And Erik, just so I'm clear with you (you really got hammered on the Wil Save thread):

I think you make a great magazine, and though I don't care for Downer, you'll have to do worse than that to make me drop my subscription. You've got a good staff, a pretty decent idea of what your audience is looking for, and the guts to come defend your decisions on a messageboard that (obviously) cares enough to talk about what you're doing (or not doing) all the friggin' time.

I hope you don't consider all of this criticism little more than angered flames, or anything like that. We're just trying to help, because we like almost everything you do...

Remove ads