• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What would you like to see dropped from Dungeon?

What would you like to see dropped from Dungeon?

DonTadow

First Post
Whew, I thought I was the only one who didn't like Downer. I figured that it survived the conversion so there must be this HUGE following. I thought that I just didn't get it. The coloring and drawing is hard to follow and read. The storyline is very difficult to get, if there is one. The figures are drawn so close together that I have trouble distinguishing characters at times.

I'm not sure why erik took such a hard line stance to keeping it, but he must be close to the creator, cause I can't see the interest in it. I don't mind the Mt. one. It's pretty corny every month but it only takes up a slight strip so its no biggie. I'd even prefer a more straight forward d and d comic sort of like the dungeons and dragon's comic book.

Hey all! :)

I actually voted for 'none of the above'. However, upon reflection I usually ignore Downer to the extent I had even forgotten its name. So add one more to the Downer tally.

I have to say I totally love Mt. Zogon though. Please keep that. Great stuff!

Order of the Stick is the best thing since Knights of the Dinner Table, with Zogonia/Mt. Zogon just behind those.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Erik Mona said:
I'm taking a hard line on Downer because I like Downer.

Fair enough, and I think that an editor is supposed to define what a magazine is like, rather than be swayed by complaints. Eventually, if the editor's vision is correct, his direction will eventually attract readers who like that vision.

But what about Critical Threats? Are they still going to be around, or was the line in the sand not drawn in front of them?

James Jacobs

Adventurer
Critical threats are coming back; we've got one scheduled for issue #126. They won't be in every issue, but hopefullly they'll be in more issues than they're not starting with #126.

Ariddrake

First Post
Thanks for the answer. If this was 10 years ago I would have to buy a stamp to get this kind of reply, then probably not at all. By the way Strongheart would make a great critical threat. ;)

DonTadow

First Post
Erik Mona said:
I like Downer. When I was a kid, one of my favorite things about Dragon was Wormy. Downer is our attempt to create something similar. It's not perfect, but I really like the art and I really like the approach.

Some day, Dungeon will have an editor-in-chief who doesn't like it as much and it will be just a memory. But that day isn't today, and that day won't be any day while my name is still at the top of the masthead.

I'm taking a hard line on Downer because I like Downer. My job is to publish material that I like, and that I feel brings something to the magazine. I'm aware that a lot of people don't like it, but a lot of people don't seem to like Mt. Zogon, either, and it's one of my favorite parts of the magazine.

Whatever. One day, one of you might be editing these magazines, and the decision will by yours.

Right now, it's mine.

Downer stays.

--Erik Mona
Editor-in-Chief
Dragon & Dungeon

I'd have to disagree with you on what an editor is. ::gulps and hopes his magazines are not late because of this::

But an editor's job is to publish for its readers and its publisher, publish material that their readers like and their publisher approves of. As an editor myself, I've had to turn away content and stories I would have otherwised loved to have in the paper, but I worked at a republican leaning newspaper and I know that certain things just didn't fit with the reader. True, you should suggest stories and such that bring more to the publication you edit, but not at the expense of the quality of the publication. An editor should suffice his own loves and desires in order to increase readership and still keep the integrity of the paper. It's a hard job in this world, and one that has stressed me out several times to the point where i took non-journalistic writing jobs. If it came between increasing Monte's column to five pages and taking out Downer I'd hope you would consider which would bring in more readers in the long run.

I like comics, I like dungeon narratives, but the color's are so pale and the artwork is so shoddy sometimes that it quickly becomes some space I could skip. The story's may work if the comic was 6 to 8 pages but the two pages makes it seem disjointed and incoherent at times. Bad guys look like good guys and vice versa. If this were a story I was editing, and I got this kind of feedback, I'd look at the material talk to the reporter and see what we can do to edit it while maintaining its flavor. This is all IMO of course, but it seems to be a shared sentiment.

By the way, I love your editorials on the new campaign and wish they were longer. It's always fun to hear about DM issues. The Font on the Editorial page is too large and should be reduced to allow you more space to write.

francisca

I got dice older than you.
I think Paizo ought to drop their message boards.

Serioulsy, if someone has an issue with the magazine, they can still send e-mail or (gasp!) write a letter. With the message board, I get the feeling a lot of the negative stuff over Wil Save was more about:
A) Trolling
B) Showing off your hat for W3zly KrzhRR, to maintain your "cred" as a Weaton Hatah.
C) Good old attention whoring

Overall, way more heat than light was shed.

DISCLAIMER: I have in fact posted on the Paizo boards. In addition, I have no opinion on the Wil Save issue.

Erik Mona

Adventurer
DonTadow said:
If it came between increasing Monte's column to five pages and taking out Downer I'd hope you would consider which would bring in more readers in the long run.

But it hasn't come to that, and it won't come to that regardless of what 78 people on EN World vote in a poll.

You're free to edit your newspaper (?) however you see fit. I'm doing the same.

Downer stays. If you hate it so much that you don't want to buy the magazine because of a two-page cartoon, more power to you.

--Erik Mona
Editor-in-Chief
Dragon & Dungeon

DonTadow

First Post
Erik Mona said:
But it hasn't come to that, and it won't come to that regardless of what 78 people on EN World vote in a poll.

Downer stays. If you hate it so much that you don't want to buy the magazine because of a two-page cartoon, more power to you.

--Erik Mona
Editor-in-Chief
Dragon & Dungeon
I usually skip it or try to read through it, It's not that much of a biggie to me. This is by no means the mob squad like on Paizo. I hadn't even given Downer much thought today before reading that other people didn't like it (I really did think it was just me which is why I try to seep through it).
My biggest concern is the space, and again it's true different editorial tastes. But I think we can increase readership by doing something else with it. I"m always thinking money and increasing circulation, but that's how I've been reprogrammed.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Erik Mona said:

This seems kinda heated, Erik. I understand, given recent events, but I think people have generally been pretty civil.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads