D&D 5E What would you like to see in 5e books?

Ash Mantle

Adventurer
What would you personally like to see in any upcoming 5e books?

Also, would you prefer to retain the format of the 5e books as they are? In that, there's bits for players as well as DMs and sometimes there's a bestiary at the back?
Or would you prefer they stuck to player only books, and DM only books, and bestiary-centric books?

I'm hopeful that we could get a book with all of the UA classes fully playtested and in its own players options book, that'd be excellent as.
And of course, a melded Planescape with Spelljammer campaign setting book, but that might be looming on the horizon...

G

Guest 6801328

Honestly, nothing. Nothing that I think they'll actually do anyway.

I guess I'd kind of be interested in some more subclasses, but I don't think I want to see a whole book of new character options.

I have zero interest in settings books that are just 5e re-hashes of old settings.

I'm not a fan of their "adventure path" books. I liked Curse of Strahd. And I like Saltmarsh in the way that it's a loosely strung together series of adventures, but not really a linear campaign. But the others? Meh. I'm pretty tired of the "OMG THE WORLD IS IN DANGER WE MUST SAVE IT!" theme. (ToA had promise, except for the "save the world" angle.)

I guess the one thing I'd want is a 5.5e that balances spells and feats, fixes the ranger, makes the sorcerer more distinct from the wizard, and abolishes the rapier. Like that's going to happen.

So, yeah, I think I'll just keep my eye on 3rd party content. Lots to choose from. A new favorite is The Runewild.

delericho

Legend
What would you personally like to see in any upcoming 5e books?

Not much, to be honest. I'd buy a Spelljammer or Dark Sun book if they produce one, and I'd at least look at another Eberron or Ravenloft book.

I'm also potentially in the market for another Adventure book, but only if it meets some specific (and entirely arbitrary) requirements.

Also, would you prefer to retain the format of the 5e books as they are?

Personally, I prefer books split by content - spells in one book, monsters in another, etc. But I understand why WotC have been using the format they have, and I understand also that they're not going to change.

And of course, a melded Planescape with Spelljammer campaign setting book...

There are few things that I can think of that I would want less. PS and SJ are both strongly-flavoured settings. And they're very different flavours. Blending them would be like putting fish sauce on cherry ice cream.

One issue with the book format is in the UK tax on books is higher than tax on games. Amazon, by shipping from tax havens, are able to undercut high street prices. Switching to a boxed format would help high street retailers.

Remove ads