D&D 5E (+) What would you want for 5e Dark Sun?

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
I think the Dragonlance topic of the same name is pretty great and I'd like to follow through a similar course with Dark Sun under the following precepts:

1) Narrative Elements will almost certainly change to adapt the setting toward more modern sensibilities. More female characters, LGBT inclusion, wider ethnic diversity, and some elements may be trimmed or re-framed to be less offensive. This isn't inherently a bad thing. But if you're down with it, what kind of changes would you want to see?

2) Dark Sun has a ton of Systems Changes. From Defiling to Psionics to Environmental Survival. How drastically would you want to see those systems altered, or perhaps do you have ideas on how they could be carried forward? Or do you think that such changes should even be -applied- to a modern table sensibility due to the preponderance of roll-playing as opposed to role-playing in modern game design?

3) Power Level. While it could be included in the Systems changes, Dark Sun's monsters were stronger, it's characters had higher stat generation methods, and magic items, or even good quality weapons and armor, were rare to make things even more challenging. Should that stylistic and mechanical gap remain in 5e, or should it be brought into a more "Modern Balance" spirit where any Athasian character is no stronger or weaker, by default, than any Faerunian one?

I'll go first.

Narrative Changes for Modern Sensibilities:
  • More Female Sorcerer-Kings.
    • On Athas there were only 3 female sorcerer-kings. Abalach-Re, Lalali-Puy, and Yarmuke. And Yarmuke was destroyed by Hamanu who also wiped her city from the world.
    • Thankfully, most of the Sorcerer-Kings gender is pretty irrelevant to who they are and what they accomplish. So making Oronis, Tectuktitlay, or even Andropinis (Who has the most masculine name of them all, Man-Penis) into Female Characters wouldn't actually change much of anything.
    • Could even have one of the Sorcerer-Kings be transgender. Nibenay presents a draconic form and largely hides from the public eye. It could be interesting if that draconic form were feminine.
  • LGBTQ+ loose organizations could be neat.
    • I don't mean big and broad-ranging LGBTQ Lobbyists. I'm talking about smaller organizations of protection. Athas is a harsh place and having trans characters know that, for example, a building with a painted Kank's Head on the front wall wall is a safe space could be interesting. It would also set Athas aside from other settings as one that is harsh, but not without it's mercies.
    • Similarly, an alliance of people with different sexualities creating a group-atmosphere of protection and solidarity might be nice in a cruel world. Like maybe no one cares if some courtier is slipping into silk-sheets with courtiers of similar genders, or whether gladiators are coupling in the barracks between matches, but there's still plenty of reason for abundant caution and escape plans and the like for when bigots -do- rear their ugly heads
    • Though it would also be kind of great to just have no societal stigmas tied to LGBTQ+ existence, of course.
  • Slavery is a tough call. But I think they could largely keep it.
    • 5e D&D tries to keep slavery in the hands of evil people. Which is why the Drow are totally willing to enslave you at the start of Out of the Abyss. The main thrust of slavery in modern fantasy is that it exists, it is evil, and only evil people enslave others.
    • Therefore having slavery as a thing in the setting would still work, but the players would be actively encouraged to fight and kill slavers when possible/reasonable, and free any slaves they find. Which is what good people should do in any setting.
  • Points of (Dim) Light?
    • Athas has always been a place with a handful of real "Towns" and a few villages scattered across the sands between them, often 2-3 days travel apart (On foot) and usually plagued by cannibal Elves, cannibal Thri-Kreen, and cannibal Halflings. Because, honestly, cannibalism is just super popular as a dining option on Athas.
    • This sort of physical structure lends itself well to a Points of Light campaign. And, honestly, making that the style du jour for Athas could fit really, -really-, well. So long as the lights are dim. So long as the safety is fleeting, the comfort expensive, and the danger swift to return.
  • Ethnic Variety
    • Honestly, Athas could do this fairly easily if the art department goes for it without any sort of backlash. I don't think there's much chance, at all, that people are going to complain if Tecuktitlay isn't white as snow, or Lalali-Puy doesn't have blonde hair and blue eyes. Honestly, ruddy and dark skin tones should -probably- be the default for the whole setting, with pale skin being a rarity even among the wealthy.
Systems Changes:
  • Arcane/Divine/Psionics as different.
    • 5e's "All magic is just magic" is just not good for Athas. Athas uses Defiling and Preserving as a powerful narrative element, and one that Clerics and Druids are incapable of doing because their power doesn't defile.
    • Athas would need to break the "Weave Narrative" to work. Different types of magic -need- to be different to interact with this core identity of the setting.
  • Psionics as Default
    • A Psionicist Class (I love KibblesTasty's) would be great. Especially one that takes cantrip-casting to heart and builds off of it.
    • Probably a Psionic-Warrior option or something similar as well. Likely as a Subclass of Fighter or maybe Ranger?
    • Maybe just a whole mess of Psionic Subclasses in general.
    • Definitely a ton of Wild Talents as Feats.
  • Defiling as Default
    • Preserving should be something you actively choose, rather than a default. And it should cost you.
    • Yes. This makes Wizards and Sorcerers (if they're even in the game!) weaker unless they defile. That's the point.
    • Playing a Wizard should be unattractive in the setting to keep the Arcane magic level low. Not impossible, so people can still play their Wizards... but less attractive.
  • Travel Mechanics
    • Traveling from place to place isn't hard, really. Pick a direction and go. Getting there -alive- is the trick.
    • Heat Mechanics, Environmental Hazards, Dangerous Monsters, and most importantly LIMITED RESOURCES.
    • Water isn't always available on Athas. And even when you -can- get some it's often dirty.
    • Some sort of mechanical structure that makes survival against the World into it's own unique danger layered on top of everything else would be spectacular.
Power Level
  • Stronger Characters. Harsher Challenges.
    • Athasian characters have been stronger than those of other settings, often with less magical power available. Previous editions handled this with higher attribute scores, which is also an option but consider replacing Magic Items with "Heroic Power"
    • To replace magic items, there should be a new "Internalized Power" system that allows characters to function as if they -have- magic items in many cases and situations, without actually having them.
    • Perhaps give people a number of "Heroic Power" slots equal to their Attunement availability and allow the player to gain these heroic powers through gameplay.
    • Belt of Giant Strength? Nah. Your strength score gets boosted 'cause you have "Mighty Thews" which gives you a +4 Strength Bonus (Max 22) or a +6 bonus (Max 24
  • Bigger Stats
    • Maybe give players their level 4 ASI at level 1? Or their level 8 at level 1 so they just don't get one of the two during leveling.
    • This would keep their overall power level similar while boosting them at low-level play before they can play into the "Heroic Power" system.
  • Wild Talent at level 1?
    • Wild Talents are an important part of Athasian culture. Not -everyone- has them, but enough people do that it's just considered normal.
    • Maybe give all players a single level 1 "Free Feat" which can be a Wild Talent or not, as they personally prefer.
  • Interesting Weapon and Armor Rules.
    • In addition to having some really cool and slightly freaky weapons, Athas also had rules relating to Bone, Stone, and Wooden weapons that probably should be updated.
    • Weapon Breakage was a common problem for Athasian Heroes who would often see their favorite Carrikal break off in the thick armored hide of a Braxat or crushed under the bulk of a rampaging Mellikot.
    • Armor/Shield Breakage was also an issue, but slightly (SLIGHTLY) less common. Maybe give players the ability to actively sacrifice shields and armor to negate a critical hit altogether, or something? Not sure.

What are your thoughts?

Steampunkette

Supporter
Minor correction: Yaramuke was the name of the city-state ruled by Sielba, whom Hamanu slew.
Thank you for the correction!
I would want the setting to go back to just the Tyr region (and mention of Borys’s city and a “garbled” map). Forget the Prism Pentad, but have it that the City-State of Tyr has recently overthrown their Sorcerer-King and encourage it as the starting base for campaigns.
OH! Oh, yes. That was another thing I meant to put in the OP: Fragmentary Maps.

Like Ravenloft, there shouldn't be a "Here's the world map" page. There should be maps of the "Well Known" parts of Athas (Cities, outlying areas) and then little red arrows on the edge of the map with the label "To Gulg" or Nibenay or Wherever.

And then expressly give DMs a way to kind of randomize the landscape outward from there until the player hits the edge of a different region-map. Make the Deserts function in that regard like the Mists do in Ravenloft. Distances on Athas are set, obviously, but what you find crossing the vast wastelands can be different every time.
Well I meant more bizarre than just animal print but yeah that should be rare but known, especially in the Wastelands. There's at least one DS pick where an elf has what might be skin or might be camo paint in a snake-band pattern, it looks great.

Warlocks I disagree on - Patrons should just solely be Sorcerer Kings. For my money, you actually make Templars into Warlocks, then have multiple Sorcerer-King patrons (and/or make existing Patrons syncretic with certain Sorcerer-Kings - i.e. X Sorcerer-King is the "Undead" patron and so on). Their powers feel pretty right for it.

Paladins I think either need to go or become Templars as well. I think just go though personally. Bards probably should just go despite obviously being my favourite class.
Warlocks should have the Sorcerer Kings as Patrons... I just think that puts them outside of the PC bundle. People generally don't play on the good guy's side and call out to "Daddy BBEG" for their powers. Though, in hindsight, a group of PCs which has a Templar or two in it could be fulfilling, say, Abalach-Re's wishes in dealing with some kind of trouble in her region and then get to be heroic along the way, even working for the baddies...

So yeah. Paladin and Warlock Templars! Representing more magical or less magical and more martial Templars. Might even be a thing where some of the Sorcerer-Kings choose one or the other and have none of the one they don't like.

On another note: Kalidnay should remain in Ravenloft. Don't bring it back for 5e.

Stormonu

Legend
I also think the sun itself should be a patron for warlock, as a malovent star-spawn like entity (i.e., Great Old One) - its in its death throes because of the actions of Borys & co., and has become sentient, looking for allies to “feed” it to keep from dying. Could also do the same with the moon (Gulithay?) as the Athas version of the Fey patron.

Githborn sorcerers would be those who use extraplanar (foreign) magic brought to Athas from the gith’s ancient attempt to invade and conquer the world. It is magic that is neither defiling or preserving, but just “is”.

Steampunkette

Supporter
Yeah maybe they just need a subclass which is heavy psionics, heavy poison.
What if the Dark Sun Bard was a straight up Wilder?

Psionicists use study, meditation, and control to produce psionic effects. Psychic Warriors use control and psionic potential to improve their physical form. Wilders are all about EMOTIONAL OUTBURSTS, BABY! Not just in themselves, but affecting the emotions of others and breaking down their barriers and controls.

... that could be a pretty good way to use Bards in Athas, right? Play up their Spellcasting as Psionics, music and art as an emotional outlet, their Inspiration as the same thing for their friends...

Just call the whole class "Wilder" and then make "Bard" a rogue subclass that is performing music and fiddling with poisons and alchemy!
I also think the sun itself should be a patron for warlock, as a malovent star-spawn like entity (i.e., Great Old One) - its in its death throes because of the actions of Borys & co., and has become sentient, looking for allies to “feed” it to keep from dying. Could also do the same with the moon (Gulithay?) as the Athas version of the Fey patron.

Githborn sorcerers would be those who use extraplanar (foreign) magic brought to Athas from the gith’s ancient attempt to invade and conquer the world. It is magic that is neither defiling or preserving, but just “is”.
Maybe the Sun and Moon could be magic sources for Divine or Primal characters, yeah. It's an interesting take?

But Gith didn't bring Sorcerers to Athas, and they're not an inherently magical species, themselves. They brought Psionicists and Psychic Warriors and Monks to Athas. Not sure making them into a Sorcerer Subclass would work except to make a Psionic subclass?
I always just said that nearly all people were brown. Melting pot and all.
Pretty much, yeah. Different shades of browns and black, some more red or olive than others.

Stormonu

Legend
What if the Dark Sun Bard was a straight up Wilder?

Psionicists use study, meditation, and control to produce psionic effects. Psychic Warriors use control and psionic potential to improve their physical form. Wilders are all about EMOTIONAL OUTBURSTS, BABY! Not just in themselves, but affecting the emotions of others and breaking down their barriers and controls.

... that could be a pretty good way to use Bards in Athas, right? Play up their Spellcasting as Psionics, music and art as an emotional outlet, their Inspiration as the same thing for their friends...

Just call the whole class "Wilder" and then make "Bard" a rogue subclass that is performing music and fiddling with poisons and alchemy!

Maybe the Sun and Moon could be magic sources for Divine or Primal characters, yeah. It's an interesting take?

But Gith didn't bring Sorcerers to Athas, and they're not an inherently magical species, themselves. They brought Psionicists and Psychic Warriors and Monks to Athas. Not sure making them into a Sorcerer Subclass would work except to make a Psionic subclass?
My understanding was that halflings were the source of psionics in Athas, but it’s been a while since I sat down and read the setting.

My thought on the gith was to tie them more to the githyanki (with their Gish) than the githzeri (who are known more as psions). The idea being that the githborn were those who had gish ancestors and they kept ties to the astral magic of the liche queen and her ilk.

As for bards, while the wilder angle is cool, I’d like to steer them back towards skalds - having them be semi-heralds of the sorcerer-kings (or just well-liked by the locals) who deal in news and rumors (and a little spying on the side in the gossipmonger subclass) and maybe a little political assassination (in the straight razor subclass) [edit: partly thinking of the Al-qadim “barber” kit in the case of the straightrazor].

Steampunkette

Supporter
My understanding was that halflings were the source of psionics in Athas, but it’s been a while since I sat down and read the setting.

My thought on the gith was to tie them more to the githyanki (with their Gish) than the githzeri (who are known more as psions). The idea being that the githborn were those who had gish ancestors and they kept ties to the astral magic of the liche queen and her ilk.

As for bards, while the wilder angle is cool, I’d like to steer them back towards skalds - having them be semi-heralds of the sorcerer-kings (or just well-liked by the locals) who deal in news and rumors (and a little spying on the side in the gossipmonger subclass) and maybe a little political assassination (in the straight razor subclass).
Athas has just always had Psionics, yeah. I just mean that the Gith that crashed on Athas weren't Sorcerers or Wizards and lost all connection to the Lich Queen and everything on the Astral Plane when they landed. Athas has pretty much no connection to the Planes to speak of. They're still out there, but Athas is surrounded by the Grey which cuts them off.

Granted it was invented largely to keep Dark Sun's OP characters from conquering the rest of the Multiverse with their higher starting levels, innate psionics, and higher attribute scores... But it's a thing! There's no Heaven or Hell on Athas. There's only the Grey. A place where your spirit just slowly decays until everything that you are, or were, is utterly gone.

Athas actually -does- have "Bards" who are heralds of the Rich and Powerful (Including Sorcerer-Kings). They do music, gossipmongering, political assassinations, spying, lots of stuff with poisons... And are actually just a Rogue Subclass. Because it's the Spellcasting that Athasian Bards don't do.

Though you could give them the Spelless Ranger Treatment and have them gain a bunch of poisons and alchemy where their spellcasting used to be. I was just riffing on the Psionic Bard angle.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Narrative Changes for Modern Sensibilities:
  • More Female Sorcerer-Kings.
    • On Athas there were only 3 female sorcerer-kings. Abalach-Re, Lalali-Puy, and Yarmuke. And Yarmuke was destroyed by Hamanu who also wiped her city from the world.
    • Thankfully, most of the Sorcerer-Kings gender is pretty irrelevant to who they are and what they accomplish. So making Oronis, Tectuktitlay, or even Andropinis (Who has the most masculine name of them all, Man-Penis) into Female Characters wouldn't actually change much of anything.
    • Could even have one of the Sorcerer-Kings be transgender. Nibenay presents a draconic form and largely hides from the public eye. It could be interesting if that draconic form were feminine.
  • LGBTQ+ loose organizations could be neat.
    • I don't mean big and broad-ranging LGBTQ Lobbyists. I'm talking about smaller organizations of protection. Athas is a harsh place and having trans characters know that, for example, a building with a painted Kank's Head on the front wall wall is a safe space could be interesting. It would also set Athas aside from other settings as one that is harsh, but not without it's mercies.
    • Similarly, an alliance of people with different sexualities creating a group-atmosphere of protection and solidarity might be nice in a cruel world. Like maybe no one cares if some courtier is slipping into silk-sheets with courtiers of similar genders, or whether gladiators are coupling in the barracks between matches, but there's still plenty of reason for abundant caution and escape plans and the like for when bigots -do- rear their ugly heads
    • Though it would also be kind of great to just have no societal stigmas tied to LGBTQ+ existence, of course.
  • Slavery is a tough call. But I think they could largely keep it.
    • 5e D&D tries to keep slavery in the hands of evil people. Which is why the Drow are totally willing to enslave you at the start of Out of the Abyss. The main thrust of slavery in modern fantasy is that it exists, it is evil, and only evil people enslave others.
    • Therefore having slavery as a thing in the setting would still work, but the players would be actively encouraged to fight and kill slavers when possible/reasonable, and free any slaves they find. Which is what good people should do in any setting.
  • Points of (Dim) Light?
    • Athas has always been a place with a handful of real "Towns" and a few villages scattered across the sands between them, often 2-3 days travel apart (On foot) and usually plagued by cannibal Elves, cannibal Thri-Kreen, and cannibal Halflings. Because, honestly, cannibalism is just super popular as a dining option on Athas.
    • This sort of physical structure lends itself well to a Points of Light campaign. And, honestly, making that the style du jour for Athas could fit really, -really-, well. So long as the lights are dim. So long as the safety is fleeting, the comfort expensive, and the danger swift to return.
  • Ethnic Variety
    • Honestly, Athas could do this fairly easily if the art department goes for it without any sort of backlash. I don't think there's much chance, at all, that people are going to complain if Tecuktitlay isn't white as snow, or Lalali-Puy doesn't have blonde hair and blue eyes. Honestly, ruddy and dark skin tones should -probably- be the default for the whole setting, with pale skin being a rarity even among the wealthy.

I'm going to respond just to the narrative stuff, just because I know my mechanical suggestions will probably be worse than the OP's, even if I don't entirely agree with the ideas.

More Female Sorcerer Kings:
  • My first response to this was "no, this isn't necessary." But hey... the gender of the characters actually matters very little to me as long as the character's themselves remain largely the same (ie many of the gender-swapped Dark Lords in Van Richten's). So sure, let's genders-swap a couple. There are two female kings already, and eight (present) male ones. If you want parity, you need to swap three of them, and I think the most fun would probably be Hamanu, Tectuktitlay... I guess Oronis (maybe change the name to Orona or something though).
  • Definitely do not make Nibenay trans... it's kind of offensive that he would be ashamed of it in this way.

LGBTQ+ organizations
- I strongly disagree with this. Instead, keep the 5E standard of not having sexuality as a thing people feel prejudiced against. There are plenty of npcs in published 5E material that are LGBTQ, but they are never prejudiced against. Keep that standard; there is no need for such organizations in Dark Sun, because people don't feel any ill-will to LGBTQ people; they're treated like normal people.

Slavery
- Agree with all of this.

Points of Dim Light
- Already kind of exists in normal Dark Sun. The sorcerer king Oronis isn't actually so bad, as is Tyr after the revolution. Even Gulg isn't so bad, though it's more mixed.

Ethnicity
- Are Tectuktitlay and Lalali-Puy even the way you described? These are the art pieces I found of them (Tectuktitlay looks like an indigenous South American, Lalali-Puy a POC). I agree overall, diversity is good, I'm happy with the below depictions becoming canon if they are already not.

1624383888504.png
1624384013241.png

Stormonu

Legend
Athas actually -does- have "Bards" who are heralds of the Rich and Powerful (Including Sorcerer-Kings). They do music, gossipmongering, political assassinations, spying, lots of stuff with poisons... And are actually just a Rogue Subclass. Because it's the Spellcasting that Athasian Bards don't do.

Though you could give them the Spelless Ranger Treatment and have them gain a bunch of poisons and alchemy where their spellcasting used to be. I was just riffing on the Psionic Bard angle.
Yes, I remember Athasian bards, but they didn’t feel quite right (to me) in the original treatment (like the Templar, they were too closely tied to the Sorcerer-Kings, limiting their playability as PCs). Personally, I’d keep them having “spells”, but write it off that they’re actually developing psionics (or alchemy works too). I’d like to keep the poison angle for the straightrazor subclass I was thinking of.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Regarding power sources, I am happy with the current design:
• any power source can cast spells
• any power source can wield magic that isnt a spell
• any power source can produce an effect that is itself nonmagical

That said, I view arcane-divine as two sides of the same coin, and psionic-primal as two sides of the same coin.

• Mind of stone desires to exist
• Mind of plant desires to grow and flourish
• Mind of beast desires to move and interact
• Mind of humanoid desires to learn and create.

Primal mainly focuses on the first three, while psionics mainly focuses on the humanoid minds, but each dabbles in the other, and they are all mind forces.

Psionic-primal must innately spellcast without any material component or focus, including a spell without its costly gp component.

Hopefully, a Psion will be available by then.
personally, I always found the ki and psionics to go well together given thematic tendencies towards internal energy, enlightenment and transcendence but this is also interesting and I would be interested in how druid would work in this paradigm as I have always wanted something with more substance than dirty hippy who turns in to animals.
also would divine and arcane be the right-hand left-hand thing to you? what would the equivalent for psionic primal be?
I want this "oasis city" as a starting point at level 1. A homebase to explore a hostile world.
reworking mind lords of the last sea is an option?
I think you're forgetting, as many people do, that the people of Athas are supposed to be thousands of years post-magical-apocalypse, and mutated by magic. Real-world ethnicities should be rare. Pure "ethnicities" should be rare. People with wild skin tones, including those not found in nature, should be common. People with patterned skin and so on too. Emphasize this imho. It's easy to forget it and it lessens the setting and makes it lamer.

I'd also be keen that Clerics not be allowed to worship gods, and Druids likewise need to have the Dark Sun subclasses only, by default (obviously include a note that individual DMs can do what they like, but stick to this approach in any adventures or other material for it).

I agree with most of the rest of what you're saying, but I think, profoundly, WotC need to decide to either embrace psionics, or properly reboot the setting with them in a lesser role. They shouldn't take this half-arsed approach they're doing now, and just attempt to replicate Dark Sun, randomly picking stuff from both the (deeply conflicting) 2E versions and the 4E version and just play down psionics and call that "Dark Sun". It'll just be a sad mess. Either go for the original 2E vision upgraded in the ways you've described, or abandon it, and go for something which is conceptually Dark Sun and maybe called that, but which has clean separation from previous editions. So I guess my #1 thing is "don't half-arse it or make a mess".
so green, bright red, blue and chrome as options then?
Bards are awesome − if psionic. They are telepathic mind manipulators who can do psychometabolic shapechange and psychic healing.

Lose the lute.

Plus Bards work well for flavors of "shaman".
I do not think bards work for psionic I do not know what bards are but psionic they are not.
Like... Why would you even -bother- leaving your super-magical-technological-oasis-city to go to the various places where you'd immediately be slapped with Slavery, ganked by kanks, or eaten by random desert elves?
need to hide, urge to help what to kill giant monsters maybe be a wasteland terror? people have dumb motivations all the time.

I would add rumours of strange and alien but valuable things out in the deserts like the land of mile-high metal which is terrifying but if harvested it is metal that never rusts or succumbs to defiling magic but might be alive.

the land of the elemental lords a perpetual battleground where the more powerful types of elementals battle it out under the control of the titular elemental lords.

the quarts peaks a strange mountainous land of ice-coated crystal ruled by semi benevolent psionic equivalent of lichs which are a lot more ghost-like than lichs.

just strange ruin which was warped by terrible magic, not like 9th level fireball more like 12th level nuclear devastation spell filled with toxic ghosts and worse phenomenon.

Remove ads