D&D 5E What would you want in a new 5E box set?

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Hi all! So I've noticed that over the past few years, WotC has become more interested in creating boxed sets than they have in the past. Sure, some of these are just sets paired with other licenses (Rick & Morty, Stranger Things), but the Essentials Kit is an original product that looks like it was made because the retailer Target personally requested a follow-up to the Starter Set.

Now, it may end here with no more boxed sets incoming, but I have a sneaking feeling that retailers like Target will eventually push for more.

My question is, what would you want to see in a new D&D 5E boxed set? I've got two ideas myself;

1. The D&D Tactics Set

I'm not certain on the name, but the idea is this; the starter set helped you start your first game, the essentials kit helped you learn how to do character creation, while this set helps you truly set up your own battle table. To that end, not only will this box include dice and rules, but also a selection of miniatures (either completely original or just pulling from WizKids) including the most popular PC choices, plus a handful of classic D&D monsters (let's say skeletons and a beholder). Maybe include a medium-sized dry-erase battlemap with markers. With an original adventure, this would be a great purchase!

2. The [Insert Setting Name] Set

This one will follow the path of several setting boxes released in the TSR days, being a box that makes it easy to jump in to a game specific to a specific D&D setting. I would probably start with one of the already released setting, like FR, Eberron, or Ravnica. Essentially, include the box with slimmed down rules, but also include a slimmed down ruleset from their setting book. So a Ravnica box would include a slim ruleset that adds their original races and subclasses, plus slim guild rules. Add an original adventure that is specific to that setting, and it's a go! I especially think a Ravnica set would look great in hobbystores next to their Magic the Gathering products.

Those are my ideas, but I want to know yours!

atanakar

Hero
Critical Roll Box Set with miniatures of Matt Mercer, the players and the furniture. With rules to roleplay a group of voice actors who broadcast a game of D&D online. Includes a map of the studio, a few miniatures of monsters : show producers, rabbit haters, crazy technician.

Last edited:

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Not really. I use miniature in my Skype games. My camera is points at a play mat and I move the models during combat.

You could do that with Roll20 and I bet your players wouldn't care because not being there in front of the miniatures makes it essentially the DM moving everything. Which removes the fun part of miniatures. Heck it removes a lot of the fun part of using a battle mat in the first place.

Players want to play with their miniatures, not watch someone else play with them :)

They already have miniature boxed sets:

Remove ads