D&D 4E What would you want to see in 4E?

I'm wondering what you guys would be happy with if you saw it in 4th edition D&D.

Here is my list:

- Concentration based on Wis, rather than Con
- Dodge improved upon somehow (maybe simply a +2 rather than a +1)
- To-hit modifier based on Str or Dex for melee weapons (whichever is higher). This would essentially overwrite Weapon Finesse.
- Armor Skin given ability prerequisites, rendered nonepic, and becoming more evasion-centered (new name: Artful Dodger, new prerequisites: Dex 17+ and Dodge)
- Death's Door being extended partially based on Constitution, or via a feat (minimum -10)
- Modifiers counting for every ability score, not simply every 2 points.
- A nonlethal damage cap at twice one's HP, where future NLD becomes lethal (or anything that prevents NLD from being a bottomless pit)
- De-abstraction of sizes and weights, more importance given to Strength for them.

Edit:

-HP based more on CON than class, if not exclusively on CON.
-Initial stat bonuses based on class (to replace the above).
-De-abstraction of AC (Evasion v. Protection)
*Evasion would be improved by dodges, deflection bonuses, luck bonuses and circumstance bonuses. It would function like classic AC.
*Protection would act like DR/- and be affected by CON, natural and traditional armor, and other appropriate bonuses.
-Improved integration of pre- and post-20th progression. The current model is alright but much room for improvement exists.
-Metricization (though keep imperial measurements around for the sake of completion)
-De-abstraction of HP (and not in the d20 pulp way, but keep it around as simply raw damage tolerance. Reduced HP inflation recommended but not required)
-Waive the rule of one and rule of 20 on probability checks (if this is possible without essentially cutting to the core of d20).

What about you?

Last edited:

FreeXenon

American Male (he/him); INTP ADHD Introverted Geek
D&D 4E: Saga Edition

Mostly D&D 4: Saga Edition :)

Albeit, not everything from SW:SE but much of it. Some of the rules as is do not reflect the flavor of D&D in general, but the basic mechanics and philosophies are teh roxor.

Last edited:

Szatany

First Post
- inclusion of spellcasting and BAB into skills
- serious consolidation of skills
- talent trees
- better abilities/feats/etc but less of them
- higher bonuses and penalties but less of them
- simpler rules (grapple, counterspell, aoo in particular)
- less racial abilities but better ones
- less, but more customizable classes (via talent trees for example)
- no rolling for hit points per level
- slower progression of max rank in skill
- weaker spellcasting but easier to use (more times per day, if slots remain at all)
- simplification, unification, and stacking of bonuses, damage reduction and energy resistances (get rid of bonus types, get rid of DR types, let it all stack)
- unification of saves, initiative, and AC
- armor granting DR
- shorter character blocks (cut them in half and I'm happy)
- no alignments, replace them with something else like personality traits or allegiances
- no iterative attacks
- move from feet to yards (or meters), that much granuality isn't necessary. Squares can be 2 by 2 yards and nothing bad will happen.
- I'm cool with 4 ability scores but that will never happen so no point in asking for it

Last edited:

green slime

First Post
Cones increasing in size with level.
More granularity for Cover rules.
Darkness that is actually dark.
Quicker integration of published materials into the SRD/OGL.

FreeXenon said:
Mostly D&D 4: Saga Edition :)

Albeit, not everything from SW:SE but much of it. Some of the rules as is do not reflect the flavor of D&D in general, but the basic mechanics and philosophies are teh roxor.

I may check SWSE out. You may be onto something.

an_idol_mind

Explorer
-Some of the redundant skills grouped together (listen/search/spot moved to perception, hide/move silently moved to stealth, et cetera)
-Less of a reliance on magical items for the PCs to get by
-Attacks of opportunity cleaned up and made more reliant on common sense
-Giant-sized creatures scaled back a bit so my PCs don't get annihilated whenever they fight something larger than an ogre

FreeXenon

Magical Traditions and ...

I am quite interested in Saga based magic traditions (Arcane, Divine, Psionic, Other) using their force mechanics.

The Talents and feat class setup rocks.

Good stuff...

Last edited:

Szatany

First Post
some more:

- clearer rules for monster advancement, racial hit dies, LA, ECL, and all that mess
- simplification of creature types (giant should be humanoid subtype for example)
- explanation what exactly can elementals, undead, constructs and mindless creatures see, think, do, etc, change some rules for undead (i don't like how vampires have no Constitution score)
- easier rules for encumbrance, counting all that stuff isn't fun
- less (many less) magic items but more flavorful and multifunctional
- rethink how magic items are categorized
- ditch schools of magic, descriptors can do their job
- ditch abilities, feats, etc that give crappy bonuses - either something is valuable or don't bother
- fix DCs of diplomacy and tumble
- get rid of synergy bonuses or make them better but rarer
- simpler (yes it can be done, I did it) rules for turn undead and animal companions/familiars
- get rid of medium armors, light and heavy are enough
- get rid of armor and weapon proficiencies, a well designed game has no need for those penalizers

Last edited:

FreeXenon

Racial Levels

A similar setup to Arcana Unearthed for races. Each race or should be a class in and of itself and each racial level be at least equal a class level in terms of power so that if a person just wants to play an ogre in a first level party he can - albeit a significantly weaker ogre.

Remove ads