D&D 4E What would you want to see in 4E?

Darklone said:
OMG. A lot of the proposals here are things I don't want to see in 4E due to game design reasons.

Would they mutate the very idea of what D&D is to the point of irrecognition, thereby forcing one to remake it from scratch? That is an understandable standpoint, even if I don't share it.

Last edited:

Anthraxus

Explorer
I myself would prefer the Arcane/Divine spell division to stay. I'd also like to see something for Clerics like a return to spell spheres/schools to limit their HUGE list of spells. "What? Cursed(substitute diseased/level drained/ability damaged/etc....)? Well, you'll be ok tomorrow."

Doug McCrae

Legend
Zaruthustran said:
Whatever 4E is, it should be significantly different from the current game. D&D 3.75 would be a huge mistake, and no one would buy it.
I agree. The OP's suggestions were far too minor for a new edition, it has to be a lot more extreme than that.

ZSutherland

First Post
I like these threads, no matter how many times they get re-hashed.

1) I want core mechanics designed to reduce my prep time as a DM. The more modular design of creature stat blocks over 2E was a vast improvement. Keep going.

2) I want either the average number or the average power of a character's magic items to be drastically slashed across the board. High level play feels less like controlling a heroic character, and more like controlling a vehicle for heroic loot. It's also a stumbling block for me as DM. We run a session light on strict "encounters" and focus more on mystery or whatever, if I award xp for non-encounter content, I mess up the wealth, and vice versa. At the very least, I'd like a three-way wealth-by-level and CR system showing appropriate wealth for low, mid, and high magic item games and X/Y/Z CR listings based on which you picked.

3) I want a lot less of the published materials to be tools for DMs rather than players. On average, DMs purchase more books and accessories than players, and quite a lot of them are a headache rather than a help since most are just chock full of more player options. I finally stopped buying them after 3.5 launched. We just play core.

4) Pretty please with sugar on top, adopt AU's spells readied/spell slots system. All the feel of Vancian magic, all the grit of a spell-point system.

That's all off the top of my head.

Kesh

First Post
FreeXenon said:
Mostly D&D 4: Saga Edition :)

Albeit, not everything from SW:SE but much of it. Some of the rules as is do not reflect the flavor of D&D in general, but the basic mechanics and philosophies are teh roxor.

This.

Remove ads