D&D 4E What would you want to see in 4E?

IanB

First Post
I'd really like to see:

- the OGL/SRD continue
- scout, warlock, and possibly duskblade moved to core (duskblade needs a new name though)
- wizards and sorcerers replaced with a series of classes like the beguiler and dread necromancer (ok, not very likely...)
- major revamp of the fighter-type classes, possibly with an eye towards the sort of design ideas in B9S (with more playtesting for balance though)
- a general move towards per-encounter party balancing rather than per-day
- shapeshift variant druid replaces normal core druid
- paladin replaced with an any-alignment divine champion type class

I could go on all day, though.

lobsterGun

Explorer
I'd like the 4.0 Wizard to be more like the 3.5 Sorcerer... except memorize daily a number of spells equal to what a sorcerer of that level would know and then cast as as a sorcerer.

I'd like the 4.0 Sorcerer to be like the 3.5 Warlock.

I'd like to see an end to the multi class XP penalty.

I'd like to see the UA action point system brought into core.

I'd like to see the UA racial Paradigm idea brought into core.

I'd like a critical hit system like RoleMaster's Arms Law.

I'd like it all to be in a free online resource.

I'd like to see an online character editor and printer.

I'd like to see a free upgrade for 3.5 owners.

Maldin

First Post
Yup, I think the single most important point that has been made/hoped-for/wished here is...

The OGL maintained for 4e.

It single-handedly will have the most effect on the industry, and the variety (or lack thereof) of products available to DMs and players in the future.

Denis, aka "Maldin"
Maldin's Greyhawk http://melkot.com

drothgery

First Post
Maldin said:
Yup, I think the single most important point that has been made/hoped-for/wished here is...

The OGL maintained for 4e.

It single-handedly will have the most effect on the industry, and the variety (or lack thereof) of products available to DMs and players in the future.

Err... nope. The most important thing is that 4e be a good, interesting, and fun game that current gamers want to play and new players want to come back for a second session of. If there's no D&D market, there's essentially no tabletop RPG market.

An OGL ruleset would be nice for small publishers. But quite frankly, non-WotC d20 products designed for use with D&D are chump change; the real stars of d20 have been standalone games. And that's really not what WotC wants, I think. They (from a crass, dollars and cents point of view) want the best and brightest third parties putting their creative energies in building things for D&D, not making their own stuff. So I wouldn't be at all surprised if, while not being entirely closed, 4e is less 'open' than 3e was, with a license designed to allow supplements and adventures, but discourage raiding mechanics for all-new games.

Maldin

First Post
drothgery said:
Err... nope. The most important thing is that 4e be a good, interesting, and fun game that current gamers want to play and new players want to come back for a second session of. If there's no D&D market, there's essentially no tabletop RPG market.
Well... DUH!!
But saying "make it good" is not exactly an answer to the original question "What would you want to see in 4E?" And when you see the quality of OGL product being put out by companies such as Paizo, Green Ronin, Malhavoc, Goodman, and others, and the reasonably good sales they are generating, I would not brush off non-WotC product as "chump change".

Denis, aka "Maldin"
Maldin's Greyhawk http://melkot.com

Last edited:

Nahat Anoj

First Post
I want to see the following things:

A single, "encounter-based" power system that's similar to D&D Sage of Bo9S. I'd like this system to cover spells, many cl ass abilities (such as the Monk's or Paladin's), turning undead, etc. I'd love it if there were guidelines/rules for creating your own effects.

I'd like to see some kind of class construction system, or at least good guidelines for building your own classes.

I'd like a more explicit focus on different kinds of play (the four "quartiles" Ryan Dancey has talked about) and ways for a group to hang out at their sweet spot.

I think it would be cool if somehow Hasbro/WotC ditched D&D and the leading d20 publishers (Green Ronin, Goodman Games, Malhavoc Press, Paizo, etc.) collaborated to make a kickass 4e.

SavageRobby

First Post
I'd love to see WotC license the Savage Worlds rule set, add classes (as packages skill/edge packages), add a better magic system (or multiple systems to reflect different magic styles), expand the equipment and magic item lists, and call it 4e. :)

Remove ads