Unearthed Arcana What's in YOUR Unearthed Arcana?

How satisfied are you (scale of 1-5) with the Unearthed Arcana class options?

• 1- I drink the Haterade.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • 2- Dissatisfied.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • 3- They're fine.

Votes: 37 46.3%
  • 4- Reasonably happy!

Votes: 23 28.8%
  • 5- Kool Aid Man; OH YEAH!

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Poll closed .
I voted "They're fine".

The only "must have" thing from these weekly UA's for me has been the Forge domain. Giving Clerics of those gods the Knowledge domain was kludgy as hell. For similar reasons I would have liked to have seen a Love/Passion domain.

MechaPilot

Explorer
I voted "They're fine".

The only "must have" thing from these weekly UA's for me has been the Forge domain. Giving Clerics of those gods the Knowledge domain was kludgy as hell. For similar reasons I would have liked to have seen a Love/Passion domain.

I'm working on a love domain for my homebrew setting.

As I see it, the really tricky part is how to handle a love spell or inspire love ability without removing player agency if they get whammied by it. For my part, this was my solution.

The love spell is triangular in nature; the caster picks two targets, a primary target and a secondary target. The spell causes the primary target to develop feelings of love for the secondary target. I have denoted three levels of "feelings of love:"
1) romantic love
2) familial or platonic love for a very close friend
3) love for a very dear pet

Dividing it in this manner allows players to avoid their characters being forced into romances by allowing them to elect #2 instead of #1. Including category #3 also prevents the uncomfortable situation of the spell inspiring romantic feelings for a beast or other non-humanoid creature.

Greg K

Legend
I was kind of hoping this would be about what kind of homebrew people have made instead of about their impressions of the UA articles. I read "What's in your unearthed arcana?" and thought it meant, what have you created for your game.
Yeah, I thought the same thing.

ArchfiendBobbie

First Post
I'm working on a love domain for my homebrew setting.

As I see it, the really tricky part is how to handle a love spell or inspire love ability without removing player agency if they get whammied by it. For my part, this was my solution.

The love spell is triangular in nature; the caster picks two targets, a primary target and a secondary target. The spell causes the primary target to develop feelings of love for the secondary target. I have denoted three levels of "feelings of love:"
1) romantic love
2) familial or platonic love for a very close friend
3) love for a very dear pet

Dividing it in this manner allows players to avoid their characters being forced into romances by allowing them to elect #2 instead of #1. Including category #3 also prevents the uncomfortable situation of the spell inspiring romantic feelings for a beast or other non-humanoid creature.

You could instead have the spell enhance feelings that are already there. Like if they have some form of respect or admiration for another person, it enhances those into a form of platonic love. If they have romantic feelings, then it enhances them to romantic love. That would completely avoid the issue of questions about player agency or uncomfortable situations and allow some very interesting plot options.

Greg K

Legend
There have been a couple of good weeks. However, I have found the class previews these past several weeks to be utterly disappointing. Even when a subclass description sounded good, the execution was poor and, often, the abilities didn't fit the description of the subclass.

MechaPilot

Explorer
You could instead have the spell enhance feelings that are already there. Like if they have some form of respect or admiration for another person, it enhances those into a form of platonic love. If they have romantic feelings, then it enhances them to romantic love. That would completely avoid the issue of questions about player agency or uncomfortable situations and allow some very interesting plot options.

That is the genesis of the concept for a lower level love spell or inspire love ability. However, a stronger spell/ability should be able to create those feelings, not just amplify what's there, and that's where I was running into the need for the three tiers.

Chaosmancer

Legend
I can't say I'm usually jumping for joy overall, but I've been happy with everything so far. Hadn't really felt the limits of the core yet though, I've only run maybe 4 groups outside of con games since 5e came out?

I've mostly seen Assassin Rogues and Paladins (generally ancient of vengeance), Totem Barbarians and monks. The occasional other class makes it in, but I've yet to see all the classes in game, so I don't really need this.

Then again, I've built pre-gen characters for just about every class in the game and most of the new UA stuff has made me feel like going back and adding to that library, so that's a good thing.

the Jester

Legend
Mixed results. Some are awesome, some are awful, most are in between. Almost all concepts are good, but many need work, as do many of the options released in earlier UA articles (theurge wizard, I'm looking at you).

Remove ads