What's new in music?

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
As promised, I will give you the goods as best I can.

I'll start by recommending my local member supported MPR station The Current. It's about 66% college top 40, but the other 33% is classics like Tom Waits, Nick Cave, B-52's, billie holliday to billy idol to billie elish and back. Commercial free so the tunes are almost always rolling. If you are tired of algorithms pigeonholing you, give this a shot.

I was dating a bass player this summer, cool chick, but she did not have her stuff together. She asked me this same question and I tossed a spotify playlist together. Its about 25 tracks and should be 90% or better 2011+.

Danny tossed out some great stuff here, also check out Thundercat. Pushing the 2011 bubble, but one of my absolute favorite albums of the last ten years is High Violet by The National.

Happy listening.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
As promised, I will give you the goods as best I can.

I'll start by recommending my local member supported MPR station The Current. It's about 66% college top 40, but the other 33% is classics like Tom Waits, Nick Cave, B-52's, billie holliday to billy idol to billie elish and back. Commercial free so the tunes are almost always rolling. If you are tired of algorithms pigeonholing you, give this a shot.

I was dating a bass player this summer, cool chick, but she did not have her stuff together. She asked me this same question and I tossed a spotify playlist together. Its about 25 tracks and should be 90% or better 2011+.

Danny tossed out some great stuff here, also check out Thundercat. Pushing the 2011 bubble, but one of my absolute favorite albums of the last ten years is High Violet by The National.

Happy listening.
Saw Thundercat open for Red Hot Chili Peppers this summer - KILLER bass player. Had no familiarity with his stuff; adding to play list :)

I am finding much of my music is from 2010 or earlier. Like, Band of Horses The Funeral I was hearing it the other day and going - "I love this new song" (released 2005 😲 😂 )

What are you listening to that was published since Skrillex was popular (2011 on)?

I’m open to trying all genres, from classical to hip hop to country to metal to deeply experimental, and everything in between. Also, I'm open to musicians whose career began before the 'tens, but would like suggestions of songs or albums they released from ~2011 onward. As an example, I'm listening to David Bowie's final album Blackstar and enjoying it. His songwriting is still :chefkiss: but I can tell his vocal power is somewhat diminished. But I'm so glad to be engaging with it.

Anyway - what's new out there? What's exciting for your ears these days?

Spotify/Pandora playlists, Youtube videos, bandcamp/soundcloud links or just the names of bands or songs it's all great.

As I've gotten older I have founded it much harder to find newer music (I also find my emotional response to newer music is often not as strong as the older stuff: not sure if it has to do with style, the way things were mixed and recorded (newer mixes do seem to have a different effect on me for some reason), etc.

Some newer bands I've found that I like (and new might be pushing the term these days as many of these bands are ten years or older) would be Khemmis (great if you like older doom metal bands-------doesn't feel consciously retro like a lot of the newer doom I've heard, nor is it overly droning like a lot of the other newer doom I've heard (I like the classic stuff like Solitude Aeturnus and the first Cathedral Album).

In terms of new pop artists I do like the Weekn'd. He seems to blend pop and horror themes in a way that resonates with me, and he seems to be making albums in the sense of complete work with a cogent theme and feel which I prefer to a bunch of disconnected singles. He is pretty mainstream though so you are likely aware of him (and I suppose at this point he isn't that new either). I try to listen to lots of different kinds of music.

These days I am more likely to revisit bands I am familiar with from back in the day. Right now I am revisiting My Chemical Romance (I think they have a great sound and tremendous song writing). I also often go back to stuff like Deep Purple or Queen. Lots of classical as well (been listening to a lot of Bach, Scarlatti, Purcell, and Tchaikovsky lately). Iron Maiden is a perpetual go to for me. Been getting back into some of the early death metal I used to listen to as well when I was in high school. Merciful Fate and King Diamond is always good.

I am finding much of my music is from 2010 or earlier. Like, Band of Horses The Funeral I was hearing it the other day and going - "I love this new song" (released 2005 😲 😂 )

Just FYI, Band of Horses put out a new album this year 'Things are Great' which I quite enjoyed, kinda went back to the original sound of the first couple of albums.

Remove ads