D&D 5E What's so great about Elminster?

Salamandyr

Adventurer
Last time I checked, and bear with me, that was a loooong time ago, but Khelben Blackstaff was actually more famous, ie likely to be known to the average merchant or peasant farmer, than Elminster. Someone involved with the academic community might know him as being the "Sage of Shadowdale", but would not necessarily know he was this worlds shattering archmage.

The Seven Sisters, being beautiful, powerful, and in some cases, rulers of kingdoms, are probably a greater subject for Bardic folk tales than Elminster.

In the first Forgotten Realms boxed set, Khelben was even the NPC recommended to use as a "stick" for the DM to use with unruly players, to show..."there's always a bigger fish".

In an area the size of the United States, with the technology of the 16th to 17th Century, there's really not much need to have Elminster be well known at all.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I kinda figured he was like Hercules or Achilles - everyone knows about Troy and the 12 Tasks of Hercules, even if they don't know the detail of the story. What adventures do people know about where Elminster is the central figure? Or is he the fantasy equivalent of Kim Kardashian?

Well he's saved the Realms a number of times although details are hazy at the moment (it's been a while). He is known to provide valuable advice to adventurers who then went on to do great things. He is also a chosen of Mystra (the goddess of magic) which grants him magical powers beyond that of an "ordinary" archmage.

His presence is a major factor keeping the zentarim out of Shadowdale. Notably (and this is probably a pretty famous incident) he battled an avatar of the god Bane and destroyed him (although it initially seemed that the spell battle had destroyed him too, he was stuck on another plane for a while).

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Elminster_Aumar might be a good source

Oh and as far as the Marie Sue thing, he did seem to have an awful lot of success with the ladies.

transtemporal

Explorer
Brilliant, thanks guys.

On the Mary Sue thing, I particularly like this from the FR wiki: "Elminster also confronted the Overgod, Lord Ao, over his instigation of the Time of Troubles..." lol

Senevri

First Post
Well. He founded the Harpers. He seeds dungeons with loot. He probably knows the location of any give magic treasure. He points adventurers at the plot. Really, right now he's just a REALLY OLD wizard, which implies a whole lot of things. He's likely to be the maker or founder of a lot of things one might run into. He's BFFs with gods. He raised three of the Seven Sisters.
Stat-wise, I doubt he's particularily amazing, but apparently it can take decades to get through all of his contingencies.

aco175

Legend
I think that fame is determined by distance. If you are talking about what the average merchant or farmer knows, then people in Shadowdale know a lot but average people in Waterdeep know little. Sure maybe most have heard of him but wouldn't recognize him.

"Your not William Wallace, he's 7ft tall and shoots lightning bolts from his arse."

Draegn

Explorer
In our game Elminster represents every named NPC my players want to best in some way. When they first met Harold Halfman owner of the Wyvern Wing Inn they were expecting a dwarf. They did not expect a human who is missing part of his left arm and leg, left ear and left eye and covered with scars.

At least Harold survived thanks to his comrades and took a souvenir for his troubles. This inspired part of the group to go wyvern hunting and to acquire the means to restore poor Harold (not really since he waters his drinks) to full health.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
Folks knows he's great but everyone becomes hazy on what makes him so.

Reason: He's a Bard storyteller with the charlatan background and a couple of illusions to fake his way along.

Remove ads