What's the best and worst D&D book you own from any edition?

Sacrosanct

Legend
Why did you just agree with yourself? And a post from last year no less.

Because self affirmation is important to self care.

hqdefault.jpg

ccs

41st lv DM
Best? That's easy, my 1e DMG

Worst? Also an easy pick. Anything 4e I own. Since 4e is not a single book, the PHB will represent them all.
I dislike 4e so much that these books don't even rate shelf space or the effort to give them away/sell them. Since 2010 theyve resided in a cardboard box in the attic & the last time I checked even the mice had rejected them.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Best: Heroes of The Feywild, from 4. It’s got folk lore with multiple takes, the precursor to Xanathar’s “this is your life” thing, tons of great lore, and wonderful art. It’s a delight at every turn.
Runners up would be 3.5 Unearthed Arcana, and the 5e PHB.

Worst: idk

Sacrosanct

Legend
Best: The OD&D booklets. Why? Because of what they started. The golden key to unlock imaginations all over the world

Worst: The OD&D booklets. Why? Because they were written horribly, no one could learn how to play by reading them; you had to have someone teach you, way overpriced, and the art was horrible (yes, by comparing against similar products of the time, not looking at it through a modern lens).

*copy machines have been around since the late 50s, and by the mid 70s, they were available at libraries, and business had them with a cost of "...Xerox print could be made for $0.03 including paper and labor." (That's $3.75 to print all three booklets, which had an MSRP of $10). There is no excuse why prints of OD&D, especially subsequent printings, were as bad as they were from a typeset and layout perspective. Gary literally could create one decent legible copy, then go make photocopies and still make a huge margin

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
So, I'm not going to break this down by edition or anything. I'm just going to present you with huge, sprawling lists instead of actually picking single "best" and "worst" items.

BEST: Unearthed Arcana (3.5), Pathfinder Unchained, Player's Option (AD&D 2e), Rules Cyclopedia (Classic). Books that have dramatically changed what was possible in D&D and which are still acting as major inspirations in everything I'm pretending to create.

Runners Up: Thri-Kreen of Athas, Complete Spacefarer's Handbook, Dreamscarred Press' Ultimate Psionics, Rogue Genius Games' Genius Guide to the Talented [CLASS]

For the worst... much shorter list:

WORST: Book of Exalted Deeds and Gamma World Player's Handbook (6e, d20M). I have never been as angry about any roleplaying product, ever, and they are literally the only roleplaying products I have ever regretted purchasing.

They are, in fact, so bad that I can't think of any runners up.

Best - 1E DMG

So much history and nostalgia and bad design and good design and bad advice and good advice and I use it even with other editions.

"Worst" - 4E anything

I never even played 4E but quite foolishly bought all three core books without knowing anything of the system therein and care nothing at all for its take on D&D. That's just my opinion so get your own.

Remove ads