Pathfinder 2E What's the deal with 3rd party PF2E Adventure "support"??

Retreater

Legend
That may end up being an interesting (albeit, perhaps unintentional) commentary on PF2's success (or lack thereof).

My shelves are full of PF1 material from Frog God Games, but they are not doing PF2. (Of course, I'm not doing PF2 either, so I can relate.)
I think Frog God did something to draw the ire of Paizo and gave up the rights to produce or continue to sell Pathfinder material. I believe this had nothing to do with PF2.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think Frog God did something to draw the ire of Paizo and gave up the rights to produce or continue to sell Pathfinder material. I believe this had nothing to do with PF2.

PF and PF2 are OGL, they cannot lose the rights as they are open source. Market demand is the only relevant factor I can see.

Frog God Games has had some dicey behavior, though, it is true. That doesn't apply to any of the other 3PP who have declined to pursue PF2 product lines so far.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
PF and PF2 are OGL, they cannot lose the rights as they are open source. Market demand is the only relevant factor I can see.
I don’t know anything about their situation or if they have fallen out with Paizo over anything. But regarding this statement, they can lose the rights to use the trademark and the compatibility logos. They’d be in a situation similar to 5E OGL producers and market it without using the word “Pathfinder”.

That’s also why for D&D there are five gazillion quadrillion DMs Guild publishers, and a tiny fraction of that 5E OGL publishers.

Last edited:

JeffB

Legend
I was surprised the other day to see Tegel Manor is for what FGG are calling "Classic" Pathfinder. I thought about picking it up in PF2 to run a session or three and then I could just convert on fly to my normal systems of choice afterwards. I'd just pick it up in S&W now.

Retreater

Legend
I was surprised the other day to see Tegel Manor is for what FGG are calling "Classic" Pathfinder. I thought about picking it up in PF2 to run a session or three and then I could just convert on fly to my normal systems of choice afterwards. I'd just pick it up in S&W now.
Another option is that maybe a lot of the work for Tegel was made with PF1 in mind, and to backtrack and convert to PF2 would delay the release?

JeffB

Legend
Another option is that maybe a lot of the work for Tegel was made with PF1 in mind, and to backtrack and convert to PF2 would delay the release?
Gabor Lux had pretty much completed the whole thing in 3.5 about 15 years ago, then it got shelved when Necro lost the JG license. So in a way that is true, but typically they are heavy supporters of Paizo and having available the new/shiney on release day. My understanding this is mostly Gabor's project with some edits/updates from Bill. I'm sure they had the PF2 rules long before release- assuming the "falling out" mentioned in this thread is not true.

When I bought the sims 3 and all the expansions, I didn't want anything of sims 4, starting from zero, missing lot of things, spending money and awaiting that new edition of my favorite expansion.

I dare to say new players would rather D&D 5th Ed to start, because it's more simple, not about better or worse. PF 2 is perfect for players who haven't bought their first books yet, but they would rather something more advanced.

PH2 is still green, and it has its own rival: Starfinder.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases