What's the most expensive RPG product you've bought?

What's the most expensive RPG product you've bought?

• $1-$20

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $21-$50

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • $51-$100

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • $101-$200

Votes: 47 37.0%
  • $201-$500

Votes: 21 16.5%
  • $501-$1000

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • $1001-$5000

Votes: 7 5.5%
  • $5001+

Votes: 2 1.6%

jasper

Rotten DM
Ok, Update $720.41 includes sales tax. I just bought the D&D Beyond Legendary bundle with Icewind preorder. I been thinking about buying for a year. I mention the price and it being a little too expensive. She mention that was about the price of her road bike. And I did have money set aside for dragon con.

I dunno how much the 4E corebooks boxed set was, but I'm guessing $100-$200, so probably that. I think the VtM:Revised fancy collectors boxed set was either $100 or close on it, but with the exchange rate back then (oh distant days!) it wasn't actually that bad in £.

The D&D Beyond book bundle I bought was like $130 (thanks to a steep discount), so that wasn't too bad.

In the 1990s my brother and I certainly spent over a couple of thousand or more on RPGs, but I don't think any one product was particularly expensive.

This year I broke the $200 barrier when I bought a copy of the Planes of Conflict boxed set for Planescape.
Before that, I had stayed below the $200 mark for single items (not counting shipping), with the original Ptolus being the most I had spent previously.

Outside RPG books, well, I also play Warmachine, so... 😅

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
3rd ed. D&D books were around $45 each.

But my PC is basically an RPG product. It cost around $1,800 or so.

Designing my own RPG came with a hefty opportunity cost. Let's just say that it probably exceeds $1,800. Worth every penny, though 🤓

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Biggest single item purchase was in the $50-100 range. That is uncommon - some years I may not buy any individual item in that range. Eh ... I've spent more than that getting a bundle of the three core books of some D&D editions, does that count as one item since it's a bundle? Mentally I consider it three, so that's how I marked it.

I think the biggest purchase at one time was I bought out a friend's whole M:tG collection for a large chunk. And then years later sold our combined collection for even more when replacing all the windows and redoing the siding on my house. Don't know if I made or lost money on just his portion, but since I got a lot of play out of them in the meantime I'm counting it as net positive.

The slip-cased set of D&D4e PH, MM and DMG. I think it was about £70. It was one of my biggest disappointments: I was about 20 pages in when I realised I really didn't want to play this game. I gave it away.
Made pretty much the same mistake. Didn't buy the super ultra extra deluxe slipcase version, but did buy the PH, MM and DMG all at once without really having much idea of the system contained therein. I skimmed over most of the PH and DMG, never really even looked in the MM, put all three on a shelf and basically never looked at them again.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I paid $88 on eBay for a boxed set of the blue-box D&D Expert Rules. It was opened, but it was still complete and in good shape.
Still got my eyes out for the red box.

Remove ads